Teenager injured on Fascination....Dont read if squimish

Flip2cruise

When we were on the Fascination in May, we noticed first-hand that the elevators won't stop closing if a hand is in the way (both my husband and I almost got "caught" by the elevator). I'm the last person to think "sue" if something goes wrong but, in this case, I believe the family would have the liability laws on their side.

I hope the kid's ok. That's got to be traumatic!

If they weren't able to reattach it, I'm sure the kid will give Carnival

"THE FINGER".

I believe they brought him to Tampa because the Coast Guard chopper was out of Clearwater.

I know you mean no disrespect, but "Toshi" was a real person, much more than "a sight to see." See, we read about these things, but they don't seem real. When you actually know the person behind the news story, it kind of blows your mind to see a post like yours.

Sorry it blows your mind to see a post like mine. But I stand behind what I said. It would be a sight to see......meaning it would be a horrible sight to see thats why I put this:eek:

Not sure why you took that as disrespect:confused:

Lynber I was thinking the same thing. Even if the Coast Guard was from the Clearwater station you would think there would be a tramua center in Miami they could go to. Tampa General can't possible be the only trama center in the the southern portion of the state.

Well the 60 miles or less from an accident north of Tampa to Tampa General for a bayflight ride was $8000. for a car accident. All because he said he was short of breath, had a cracked rib. I can't imagine the cost of the Cost Guard flight.

It's something we have all done again and will remember this poor kid if we do it again. I will keep him in my prayers.

I know you mean no disrespect, but "Toshi" was a real person, much more than "a sight to see." See, we read about these things, but they don't seem real. When you actually know the person behind the news story, it kind of blows your mind to see a post like yours. Again, not picking on you, I've probably had the same attitude before about freak accidents I've read about. It's a reminder to me that there are people who are dealing with the reality of the "news" and it's broken their hearts and changed their lives forever.

Too often, I've seen the results of poor journalism. And since I think about 75% of journalism is very poorly researched or careless about details (at least of stories that I've seen that I've known details about), I really take every news article with a grain of salt. Journalists are more concerned about getting the story first, hitting a deadline, good writing and getting passed editors than they are about truth and facts, IMHO. I know that journalists pride themselves on getting things right, but I am appalled how little that means when the printed word comes out.

I know. My sisterand I laughed at this! I saw more thigns grosser than this teaching.LMAO!

A "don't read if you are squemish "warning for a severed pinky????? *LOL*

HECK :)

I am a firefighter and worked on a Rescue co. for several years.

The guy who fell between a station platform and an oncoming train is a "don't read if squemish" warning.

The kid who tried to hop a fence and steal some copper wiring out of a construction yard and got wrapped up in razor ribbon gets a "Don't read if squemish" warning.

The guy who overfilled a truck tire when it blew gets a "Don't read if squemish" warning.

The guy who rigged up the shot gun to the weight bench, sat down on it and pulled the trigger with his toe gets a "Don't read if Squemish" warning

The guy that filled his kitchen sink with gasoline to clean car parts , and then the wife comes in and turns the burner on the stove on to make tea They get a "Don't read if you are squemish" warning.

You get the picture :)

I thought you were quoting the snopes because it wasn't real. I have never heard of a person being beheaded in an elevator. When I think of the number of times I have stuck a hand or a foot in the elevator to stop doors from closing.... Well you are looking at the reformed here. Gives me the chills just thinking about it.

His poor family and friends.

Duck - it's been about 18 months, but good to see you are still around and in fine form. Quick as ever I see.

Sorry it blows your mind to see a post like mine. But I stand behind what I said. It would be a sight to see......meaning it would be a horrible sight to see thats why I put this:eek:

Not sure why you took that as disrespect:confused:

I said I figured you did mean no disrespect. I guess you'd have to know a person this happened to and then read a statement like yours to know how it could bother you. Hopefully you never will.

People need to learn, and teach their children, NOT to stick their hands in elevator doors. A nurse at a local hospital here lost her whole hand in an elevator door. What other piece of equipement, machinery, would we think it was OK and a good idea to stick our hands in while it was running? NONE! So why do we do it with elevators?

I remember sailing on the Sensation in 2001 and prior to our sailing there was a crew member death that was related to the elevator. He was repairing the elevator and heard that he was decapitated as well.

ML

The same thing happened to us when we were on the old Festivale back in 89 in Barbados. (on our honeymoon) As we were walking off to our excursion, you heard a frantic "Ship's Doctor to the Bridge" go out over the intercom. We were late leaving and then we saw the body being taken off to a hearse on the pier.

Wow all you people who automatically assume the kid was messing around in the elevator and he deserved his finger to get taken off. Maybe he was being a gentleman and was trying to open the door for someone approaching the door. Or maybe he was just in a hurry and trying to get to his room. I have done this same thing trying to stop the door with my hand a hundred times. I wont anymore! Unless you witnessed it how can you assume anything. My husband had his finger degloved and reattatched and it was a major ordeal and the waiting to see if the body accepted the finger was not fun but he kept his finger. I feel bad for the boy and since it was an elevator malfunction I hope he does get some type of settlement and his medical bills paid.

Doesnt sound like they are blaming Carnival at all. Chivalry aint dead, but it can be painful.

http://www.bowieblade.com/vault/cgi-bin/bowie/view/2007B/07/05-31.HTM

Patrick Galloway, 16, of Bowie, was medically evacuated from a cruise ship 120 miles southwest of Key West, Fla., last Thursday. "A fine, young, plucky kid," according to his family, he was on a summer vacation cruise. Galloway was attempting to stop an elevator door from closing so two young women could get on.

"I tried to push it back, and it started opening. As it was sliding back in the wall, my hand caught in it and I felt it taking my hand along with it," said Galloway, in a phone interview with the Blade-News from his grandparents' home in Florida Monday afternoon. "I thought it was going to just eat my hand off. So I had to pull it out of there."

And in doing so, things turned rather bloody, he said. "Almost all of my pinky was severed," and he received deep cuts on two other fingers on his right hand.

"The first thing that went through my mind was just anger. I was so mad," he said. "Here it was my mom's birthday and look what was happening."

The Coast Guard received a call at 1 a.m. from the ship's doctor on board the Miami-based Carnival cruise ship Fascination, reporting Galloway's condition and requesting Coast Guard assistance.

According to reports, Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater immediately launched an HH-60 rescue helicopter and a C-130 search plane to assist.

"There I was, hovering over the ocean in this basket, flying around while I was lifted up into the helicopter," he said. "Talk about pretty crazy and wild."

Galloway, a musician, will be a senior at Bowie High School in the fall and is part of the Summit Scholar program there.

What a story he'll have to tell, and maybe he'll put it in a song someday.

Galloway said "the nub where his pinky used to be" won't deter him.

"I'm still going to play guitar and the piano," he said. "Sure, it might be a little more difficult, but what am I gonna do? You have to just shake your head and laugh at all of this. Losing half my pinky and flying in a basket over the ocean isn't gonna stop me."

Said his dad Hoyt, "We are worried about his piano playing with only a partial pinky on his right hand but he's a plucky kid who can roll with the punches that life sometimes gives."

Wow...I didn't realize it was so "close to home" I live less than 10 miles from Bowie and I work 5 miles from there. I go by his high school all the time.

Fortunately, despite this accident, the kid has a great attitude and I wish him the best of luck. With an attitude like that, he'll find a way to succeed. More power to him.

Archived