Teenager injured on Fascination....Dont read if squimish

Flip2cruise

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=57936

Tampa, Florida -- The Coast Guard medically evacuated a teenager today after he lost a pinky finger caught in an elevator door of a cruise ship 120 miles off Key West.

Patrick Galloway, 16, was hoisted aboard an HH-60 rescue helicopter from Air Station Clearwater and flown directly to Tampa General Hospital.

The U.S. Coast Guard reported it received a medical call at 1:00 a.m. today from the ship's doctor aboard the 855-foot Carnival cruiseship Fascination requesting assistance.

The doctor reported Galloway tried to stop an elevator door from closing with his right hand. When the door closed, Galloway pulled his hand from the door and his pinky finger was severed.

The rescue crews arrived on scene about noon today, hoisted Galloway off the cruise ship and took him to the hospital for treatment.

He's reported in stable condition.

wow I just 2 weeks ago stuck my hand into the elevator to get it to open up all the way. Must have been faulty, I smell a lawsuit :rolleyes: I wouldve had em stitch it up and continue my cruise :p Just drank more alcohol that way ( just kidding folks)

wow I just 2 weeks ago stuck my hand into the elevator to get it to open up all the way. Must have been faulty, I smell a lawsuit :rolleyes: I wouldve had em stitch it up and continue my cruise :p Just drank more alcohol that way ( just kidding folks)

You know how many times on the cruise Brook I would stick my hand in there to have the elevator doors open up. Ack!!! that poor kid. Hope he's gonna be ok.

what night into the cruise were they? anyone know? was it the beginning or the end? i hope for them it was the end so that they at least got to enjoy most of it. (*and yes, i am too lazy to look it up right now*, so just if anyone happens to know off hand, that's all).

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=57936

Tampa, Florida -- The Coast Guard medically evacuated a teenager today after he lost a pinky finger caught in an elevator door of a cruise ship 120 miles off Key West.

Patrick Galloway, 16, was hoisted aboard an HH-60 rescue helicopter from Air Station Clearwater and flown directly to Tampa General Hospital.

The U.S. Coast Guard reported it received a medical call at 1:00 a.m. today from the ship's doctor aboard the 855-foot Carnival cruiseship Fascination requesting assistance.

The doctor reported Galloway tried to stop an elevator door from closing with his right hand. When the door closed, Galloway pulled his hand from the door and his pinky finger was severed.

The rescue crews arrived on scene about noon today, hoisted Galloway off the cruise ship and took him to the hospital for treatment.

He's reported in stable condition.

"Haste makes waste"

it says the ship's doc called USCG at 0100hrs. it was 1200hrs before he was evac'd out. I wonder why it took so long to airlift him out. Of course, had they been able to get there within an hour or so, there is the possibility to save the finger.

Who needs the pinky anyway. it is the black sheep of fingers. He's better off without it. I too smell a lawsuit, but I think the cruiseline has a good case to fight it. The kid was stupid enough to stick his hand in the door. HELLO!! I cut my brothers finger off when we were kids. he was chasing me into the house, I slammed the door, he tried to stop it and his ring finger got stuck in the door where the deadbolt goes. He pulled back, and left the finger in the door.

He still gets pissed when I make finger steaks for dinner.

AHHHH memories!!

...I cut my brothers finger off when we were kids. he was chasing me into the house, I slammed the door, he tried to stop it and his ring finger got stuck in the door where the deadbolt goes. He pulled back, and left the finger in the door...

OMG:eek: OMG:eek: OMG:eek: just how the h*ll easy is it to lose a digit??? jeeze louise, it sounds like it doesn't take much..at least not as much as i wld have thought.

Poor kid.:(

I always stick my hand out in the doorway to hold the elevator. I always thought that elevators had safety switches on them so that if they hit a solid object before closing all the way they would automatically reopen.

I now stand corrected.

I hope I can remember not to do this in the future as I have found a myriad of uses for my pinkie finger over the years:D .

Poor kid.:(

I always stick my hand out in the doorway to hold the elevator. I always thought that elevators had safety switches on them so that if they hit a solid object before closing all the way they would automatically reopen.

I now stand corrected.

I hope I can remember not to do this in the future as I have found a myriad of uses for my pinkie finger over the years:D .

yes. they are supposed to be equipped w/ "eyes" and a sensor. this is why a couple of posters have said they may smell a suit. it is unusual that it didn't kick open. a hand is far more dense than a pantleg or a shirtsleeve. any working sensor shld have picked it up wld be my amateur guess.

i wonder how bad the people who were on the elevator feel now. the ones who probably didn't open it for him. yikes! i wonder if they cld see his hand through or not. i wld sure hope they wld have tried to open the doors once they saw his hand.

As I understand it, older units only have the sensor that your hand must break the "beam" to reoppen the elevator. I've been nabbed (didn't lose any digits!) by the elevator at work because I didn't interupt the beam. Sorry to hear about the young man.

Who needs the pinky anyway. it is the black sheep of fingers. He's better off without it. I too smell a lawsuit, but I think the cruiseline has a good case to fight it. The kid was stupid enough to stick his hand in the door.

A little harsh don't ya think:cool:

A little harsh don't ya think:cool:

I was in a group of fisherman who were cleaning the catch of the day. One gentleman who had drank more than he had fished was using an electric fillet knife to clean the fish. His catch seemed quite bloody and they finally figured out it wasn't the fish bleeding it was him. He was filleting his hands all up. He'd probably love to have his pinky back. :eek:

Several years ago (I think) a doctor lost his head in an elevator at St. Joseph's Hospital in Houston. It was a freak thing and I can only imagine how the people already on the elevator must have felt with his well, you get the picture. So sad. Let's not forget that kids, teens included, just dont think like us adults do. He probably thought nothing of sticking his hand in the door. Glad he is ok.

Several years ago (I think) a doctor lost his head in an elevator at St. Joseph's Hospital in Houston. It was a freak thing and I can only imagine how the people already on the elevator must have felt with his well, you get the picture. So sad. Let's not forget that kids, teens included, just dont think like us adults do. He probably thought nothing of sticking his hand in the door. Glad he is ok.

His head:eek: Now that would be a sight to see:eek:

I was in a group of fisherman who were cleaning the catch of the day. One gentleman who had drank more than he had fished was using an electric fillet knife to clean the fish. His catch seemed quite bloody and they finally figured out it wasn't the fish bleeding it was him. He was filleting his hands all up. He'd probably love to have his pinky back. :eek:

Eeeew!:eek:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/elevator.asp

Archived