post Whittier

kandb

We don't leave home from Anchorage until 7:30 the following evening after landing in Whittier (Princess, July 26th). We wanted to see the Kenai area but it seems crazy to transfer to Anchorage, get a rental car, go all the way back to Seward, stay there overnight, and drive back to Anchorage the next day. We are not sure that we would have enough time. Anyone with any thoughts about it. Where should we stay overnight if we are nuts enough to do this.

In a topic, 'Anchorage to Whittier' I posted an e-mail I received from the Whittier city manager. Part of the e-mail included options of transferring to Seward from Whittier. Avis is opening a rental office. Whittier has a new website. All of this is included in the post.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

Thanks, LCMD, you've been an enormous help to us. I'm calling about the Avis car tomorrow! There are also a couple of transports available. Whittier to Seward is $30, Seward to Anchorage $45.

With only a day and a half- a rental car in my opinion is the only way to go. Being on a bus or transfer schedule will eat up valuable time. Be certain to consider getting up very early your disembarkment day and perhaps getting off the ship by 0700. You will then be in Seward long enough to at least do a few activities.

I called Avis but they have nothing listed for Whittier at all, and they usually get the new listings months ahead of time. There is also the Seward Bus Lines. I got the info from the Whittier city manager. I am going to call the bus company, 907-563-0800. If I could get a car, I would stay the night in Seward and then go back to Anchorage for some day touring the next day. I'm sure there's a bus or train from Seward, too, back to Anchorage.

Here is what we are doing as we were not happy with Carnival Spirit arriving in Whittier instead of Seward. We have arranged a morning shuttle from Whittier to Seward(http://www.polarexpressak.com) We want to take the wheeled dog sled ride, see the sealife center and perhaps visit Exit Glacier before taking the 6 pm train to Anchorage(http://www.alaskarailroad.com) We are going in Mid-August. Hope this helps you!!

www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif

Cunard Princess 9/83

Big Red Boat 10/95

Conquest 3/03

Spirit 8/04

Kandb

This is the AVIS number in Whittier. Office may not be open yet. From the e-mail-R.C. Collins at 907-345-2829. –POTENTIAL car rental manager.

Entire e-mail is posted under car rental return in Whittier. Just a few topics down.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

Archived