Swelling Feet

Surfgirl

Hi Wes,:) nope, I don't know what story you are talking about:eek:

did I miss something?

Oh, that topic was on thread I quit chatting on a couple of years ago...and

I think (if memory serves) most of those on that particular thread no longer

chat on this site.

Hi Lois,

that was maybe two,maybe three years ago on one of the Celebrity's threads ...... someone was asking about Chocolate Martini .... and a story was 'told' somewhat related to chocolate:

There was a senior citizens trip on a bus, about 1/2 hour into the trip an olderly small lady came to the driver and offered him handfull of peanuts , that was repeated few more times ..... the driver had enough of peanuts and asked that lady why 'they ' do not eat the peanuts ,.... she answered : look most of us are very old and our teeth are not strong enough to eat peanuts, so the driver asked: why do you buy them, she looked at him sweetly and said: "we love the chocolate around them '.

That was the story.

Wes

Hi Wes, Oh...ok:)

Back to the original topic.... I am probably going to buy that gel and hopefully

it will work:) maybe my ankles won't swell this time!:)

fat feet was my 1st clue to heart trouble..now 5 yrs out w/valve repair..but still take Lasix..2x a day. Try to watch salt..I dont drink alot of booze..But on shore days, I can't take a water pill cuz it's to the potty ever 10/ 20 min for 2/3 hours. Same on long road trips. Cranberry juice is a natural diuretic..u might have to bring your own in the six pak. The humidity is a factor for me..but water pills early a.m. say 6..then 1 to 2 p.m...then I'm be done by dinner..that's enuff for me. Sitting alot ie: long flights, or car driving is bad for me also..everyone is different. I'm always seen on board with my 52oz water sipper..everyone thiks its booze.not alll the time!

Heat, humidity and dehydration can also be factors. Fat feet can also be a sign of high blood pressure as well (it was in my case!). Drink lots of water, and wear comfortable shoes--watch the salt intake. Also, be sure to get some brisk walks around the decks--that helps with the swelling, too.

Heat, humidity and dehydration can also be factors. Fat feet can also be a sign of high blood pressure as well (it was in my case!). Drink lots of water, and wear comfortable shoes--watch the salt intake. Also, be sure to get some brisk walks around the decks--that helps with the swelling, too.

I'm not sure about all of this. I live in the deep south...when it's hot here in the summer you can fry an egg on the patio. We have serious heat and humidity here on the coast. And my blood pressure is always on the low side and never a problem. I did tons of walking on QM2 and on shore despite the swelling and I wore very comfortable shoes with good support. About the only thing I know I need to do better is drink more water and use less salt at the table since they obviously salt the food a good bit in cooking.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Hi Wes, Oh...ok:)

Back to the original topic.... I am probably going to buy that gel and hopefully

it will work:) maybe my ankles won't swell this time!:)

Lois...I'm probably going to get some too although I won't be able to test it until I get on the ship as I never have swollen ankles here at home. Are you sailing again before I do (Nov 10th) I'd love to hear how it works if you are.

Cheers, Penny

Lois...I'm probably going to get some too although I won't be able to test it until I get on the ship as I never have swollen ankles here at home. Are you sailing again before I do (Nov 10th) I'd love to hear how it works if you are.

Cheers, Penny

Hi Penny:) I go in October...before you.

Oh, I have heard of the site the item is showing up on...

Georgette Klinger....not sure where I have heard about that from...

maybe a long time ago on this forum?:eek:

And I agree with you about the heat and humidity. I live

in Jacksonville, FL.....summertime is always hot and the humidity

is ALWAYS high and my ankles never swell up.....get me on a ship

and after about 3 or 4 days I look down..and they are swollen:rolleyes:

just weird!

Hi Penny:) I go in October...before you.

Oh, I have heard of the site the item is showing up on...

Georgette Klinger....not sure where I have heard about that from...

maybe a long time ago on this forum?:eek:

And I agree with you about the heat and humidity. I live

in Jacksonville, FL.....summertime is always hot and the humidity

is ALWAYS high and my ankles never swell up.....get me on a ship

and after about 3 or 4 days I look down..and they are swollen:rolleyes:

just weird!

Hi Lois....Hope you'll come back and let us all know if this worked. It's well worth the money if it does!! I had so much edema on the tops of my feet that my strappy sandles left deep depressions when I took them off at the end of the night! :eek: My swelling started by the end of the 2nd day and it took a good week at home before it was gone. One site I read about edema said to elevater your legs above heart level....I didn't do that but will as time permits. I"m determined not to have to deal with this the next time!

Cheers, Penny

Penny,:) you know what I have learned from this? I changed my shoes

for formal nights. In the past I would wear a heel with an ankle strap.

Now? Not anymore. I have a couple of pair of black dressy sandals

that are open back (no strap) and silver sandals in the same mode.

If I am on a walking tour during the day most of my sandals are

adjustable so that has never been a problem.

You are right, if 52.00 can reduce this problem on a permanent basis

it will probably be the best $ I have spent in years;)

But I am wondering if the Origins would work?

Oh.....I forgot to tell you, I was in Sephora's yesterday but they

don't carry this type of product and I was surprised about that!

But a couple of the girls recommended something from Bath and Body~

a peppermint gel that is in the same style of medicinal stuff.

I am going to look on their website. Will report back:D

Lois...I have a peppermint foot rub that I always use on my husband when we drive long distances. He swears it relaxes him at night and he sleeps so much better when I give him a foot rub with it. Because I knew we'd do a lot of walking on the ship I had it along and used it with no results for my problem. I think it's the arnica that might make the difference. One of the things arnica is supposed to help with is swelling. When I googled this product I saw it also available at Nordstroms ( plus many other places) if you have one near you. I don't here in South Carolina. Price appears to be the same everywhere. Wouldn't it be nice if this worked!!

I changed shoes a few times a day (yes, I brought WAY too many shoes!!:rolleyes: ) but it made no difference in the swelling. It seems that once it was there it was there for the duration of the cruise.

I'm so glad I'd read that previous thread so I had an idea what it was. I'd have been very worried otherwise. The blood pressure tie in is disconcerting though and I might just toss my small blood pressure machine in the luggage to monitor it if I swell again. Thanks goodness we will drive to NY to the pier althought my DH gets "the look" when he sees the excess of luggage I manage to fill!!:eek:

If we keep up all this research we might just find the solution! :D

Cheers, Penny

Penny, I actually did google search too.....LOL:)

I put in "solutions for swollen ankles" and you would not believe

all the information that popped up:eek: ...but then again since

you were surfing the web you probably saw the same thing;)

There is a company here in Florida (they are originally from the UK)

with some items on the website.

Check it out:

http://www.ppshealthcare.com/solutions.aspx?show=76

The closest Nordstrom's to me is 2 hours away in Orlando:rolleyes:

I found that you can buy the Instant Refreshing Gel at Nordstrom in SF or online (Nordstrom) Just do a search for Elemis when you get to the Nordstrom site- it is 52.00...but for me it is well worth it! I feel it is much better than the origins (because it gets much colder) but the Origins is OK if you can't get Elemis for some reason.

Just remember to always rub up the feet from the toes up toward the calves then thighs (if you want to go that high with it) the point is to move toward the heart! Having a massage with this is really great too! I have asked the techs when getting a pedicure on the ship to apply this after the massage-or have someone on the cruise with you massage it in for you- it also works great for general sore muscles too (but make sure & wash hands after appication- it gets really COLD) I'm sure it would burn like crazy if you touched your eye too!

It's not a permanent fix, but it really makes a difference day to day-especially on a cruise when you are probably going to be walking alot each day!

I found that you can buy the Instant Refreshing Gel at Nordstrom in SF or online (Nordstrom) Just do a search for Elemis when you get to the Nordstrom site- it is 52.00...but for me it is well worth it! I feel it is much better than the origins (because it gets much colder) but the Origins is OK if you can't get Elemis for some reason.

Just remember to always rub up the feet from the toes up toward the calves then thighs (if you want to go that high with it) the point is to move toward the heart! Having a massage with this is really great too! I have asked the techs when getting a pedicure on the ship to apply this after the massage-or have someone on the cruise with you massage it in for you- it also works great for general sore muscles too (but make sure & wash hands after appication- it gets really COLD) I'm sure it would burn like crazy if you touched your eye too!

It's not a permanent fix, but it really makes a difference day to day-especially on a cruise when you are probably going to be walking alot each day!

Ash, thank you for that reply:) so that product sells for 52.00

everywhere LOL......no discounts;)

Elemis it is.....have you needed to use it before flying long

distances??

For me, it can make for some problems. I was prescribed a combination water/high blood pressure medication. My ankles, legs, hands, face & eyes all swell. My pressure becomes way too high, and gives me headaches. Every cruise, every time. I am convinced it high sodium in the food. I drink plenty of bottled water, request low/no sodium meals, take my medications, and put my feet up whenever I can. It helps.

I haven't tried the Elemis gel before flying, only after, and I use it especially after a workday (standing for many hours on hard floors) I'm not sure how it would work as a preventative, but it couldn't hurt. It does stimulate circulation & is very cooling! I think I'll try it before work tomorrow & see if it helps!

OK, I tried the Elemis before work- unfortunately I didn't end up having a busy workday (so I got to sit about half the time) but I can tell it probably wouldn't prevent all swelling to begin with.

I plan to bring some of this gel on my flight to Miami (from SF) and use it once during the flight (I'll probably put it on in the lavatory so the smell won't oog people out (very mentholly) it only has a faint scent when dried.

My favorite thing is to use this at the end of the day, whether on a cruise or at home- it's almost like a beginning step for relaxing & getting ready for bed.

One caution, if used after a hot shower, it can be a bit much-I guess the pores being open makes it more sensitive to the cooling effects!

I plan to bring some of this gel on my flight to Miami (from SF) and use it once during the flight (I'll probably put it on in the lavatory so the smell won't oog people out (very mentholly) it only has a faint scent when dried.

You probably already considered this, don't forget about the size requirements for gels and liquids on planes now. Wouldn't want you to get to the TSA screener with your $52.00 tube and have it thrown away if it's too big. Please do let us know how it works over the long run.

Yes, please Ash, do keep us updated on this. I'm very curious as to how effective it might be altho I'm thinking it would also be good for other issues as well.

Good advice Wraithe..I'd hate to see all that expensive stuff tossed in the trash!! Just put a little in a tiny container to take onboard.

Boy, I hope this helps!!

Cheers, Penny

I've been following this thread for the most part, has anyone found a medical reason for the swelling of feet?

I'm a nurse and asked around at work of course no-one knew cuz they all think I'm a crazy cruise obsessed person:D , maybe they're right but....what the heck causes this swelling.

Sorry if I missed the answer:o

MAO

I've been following this thread for the most part, has anyone found a medical reason for the swelling of feet?

I'm a nurse and asked around at work of course no-one knew cuz they all think I'm a crazy cruise obsessed person:D , maybe they're right but....what the heck causes this swelling.

Sorry if I missed the answer:o

MAO

No Mao, you didn't miss the answer. We're all still searching. Such a frustrating thing and very disappointing to read that you weren't able to get any good medical answers at work!! I've been planning to ask my Dr but this doesn't sound promising. Sooner or later one of us is going to stumble on a solution I hope. I promise to share if I find one!!!

So please keep asking your medical professionals...tell them there's a whole bunch of us who will send them cyber hugs if they can help us.

Cheers, Penny

Well, I'm this far along. I've had three different doctors ask me if my swollen ankles are "vascular." But they do not seem to be able to tell me what that means or what to do or what doctor to go see or anything like that.

Truth to tell I find their vague explanations frustrating. One has suggested I wear support hose. What? In South Florida! In the summer? No way.

Another told me to lie down with my feet above my heart for ten minutes three times a day, but cannot tell me why this is needed or why it would work.

Is there such a thing as a "vascular physician"? Maybe I'll check Google and see what I can dig up.

Well, I'm this far along. I've had three different doctors ask me if my swollen ankles are "vascular." But they do not seem to be able to tell me what that means or what to do or what doctor to go see or anything like that.

Truth to tell I find their vague explanations frustrating. One has suggested I wear support hose. What? In South Florida! In the summer? No way.

Another told me to lie down with my feet above my heart for ten minutes three times a day, but cannot tell me why this is needed or why it would work.

Is there such a thing as a "vascular physician"? Maybe I'll check Google and see what I can dig up.

DOn't you just hate it when a Dr asks you what YOU think your problem is caused by? My 75 pound dog jumped on my foot...I'm pretty sure he might have broken a small bone in it, The Dr wanted to send me to a vascular surgeon because my toe had turned color a bit. he didn't seem at all interested in the bone part of my problem.

Vascular problems can be problems with your veins... sometimes caused by blockages in the veins. There are screening tests to confirm if this is a problem for you. Where most of us only seem to have this on a ship or flying, but don't suffer from it at any other time, it would seem to rule out a blockage problem...then again I'm no Doctor.

But I sure wish we'd find the solution...keep looking folks!

Cheers, Penny

No Mao, you didn't miss the answer. We're all still searching. Such a frustrating thing and very disappointing to read that you weren't able to get any good medical answers at work!! I've been planning to ask my Dr but this doesn't sound promising. Sooner or later one of us is going to stumble on a solution I hope. I promise to share if I find one!!!

So please keep asking your medical professionals...tell them there's a whole bunch of us who will send them cyber hugs if they can help us.

Cheers, Penny

Hi all~

Let me preface this with : I AM NOT A DOCTOR!:rolleyes:

Over the years I have found that cruise swelling is as common as it's antidote-which by the way is found on your dinner plate most nights if you have Traditional dining. Parsley. If you eat your decorative sprig every meal your ankles will get better! It seems it is a natural diuretic. I also keep some around during "that time of the month" in the house, works for me, but ask your Dr.

JMHO

Hi all~

Let me preface this with : I AM NOT A DOCTOR!:rolleyes:

Over the years I have found that cruise swelling is as common as it's antidote-which by the way is found on your dinner plate most nights if you have Traditional dining. Parsley. If you eat your decorative sprig every meal your ankles will get better! It seems it is a natural diuretic. I also keep some around during "that time of the month" in the house, works for me, but ask your Dr.

JMHO

Interesting..you know, I seem to remember reading this someplace but never thought of it in this light. Have you actually done this on a ship and it worked for swollen ankles? If this is a possible solution I'll be ordering a side of parsley with every meal, and I don't even like fresh parsley all that much. I'll even start practising eating it now!!;)

Cheers, Penny

Interesting..you know, I seem to remember reading this someplace but never thought of it in this light. Have you actually done this on a ship and it worked for swollen ankles? If this is a possible solution I'll be ordering a side of parsley with every meal, and I don't even like fresh parsley all that much. I'll even start practising eating it now!!;)

Cheers, Penny

Dear Penny,

Hello! I have not been trolling the Cunard boards lately-so good to hear from you:) I am sure you have your hands full counseling those QE2 souls who are shipless now. Maybe they will come over to our side now on the QM2! lol. Anyway, to answer your question yes! I eat parsley anytime I am retaining water at home or at sea and it really works. You can ask the waiteperson to bring some on your plate every meal on board.:D

All the best

Archived