Sightseeing in New Jersey

Thanks for the varied suggestions about quaint towns and shops along the way to the shore. That's exactly what I was looking for. We've been to Philly several times and enjoyed it. But on vacation I also like to visit out-of-the-way places that I seldom have time to see on business trips. And since Dallas doesn't have many trees or any beaches (and very little historical architecture), all of those things appeal to me. CC'ers are the best -- even when it comes to recommendations on land! Any other ideas?

If you are anywhere in NJ on Sept 11, BIG, BIG, BIG benefit concert at Six Flags (Jackson, NJ-Princeton, NJ area-lots of antique shops, stuff to look at). The park will be open for concert goers only. Lee ********* will sing " God Bless the USA". Montgomery Gentry will perform. I THINK Leann Rimes will also be there. Money goes to provide college scholarships for children of wounded/killed Iraqi veterans. Sean Hannity, Oliver North, Curtis Sliwa, Ann Coulter all expected to be at Sean's radio broadcast in the afternoon.

To see Lee ********* sing "God Bless America" on Sept 11 just a few miles from the World Trade Center site brings chills to me typing this.

A whole group of us are flying from Arizona to attend. We have been 4 out of 5 years. Had a blast every year.

If you are anywhere in NJ on Sept 11, BIG, BIG, BIG benefit concert at Six Flags (Jackson, NJ-Princeton, NJ area-lots of antique shops, stuff to look at). The park will be open for concert goers only. Lee ********* will sing " God Bless the USA". Montgomery Gentry will perform. I THINK Leann Rimes will also be there. Money goes to provide college scholarships for children of wounded/killed Iraqi veterans. Sean Hannity, Oliver North, Curtis Sliwa, Ann Coulter all expected to be at Sean's radio broadcast in the afternoon.

To see Lee ********* sing "God Bless America" on Sept 11 just a few miles from the World Trade Center site brings chills to me typing this.

A whole group of us are flying from Arizona to attend. We have been 4 out of 5 years. Had a blast every year.

Mods,

Why does this say Lee ********???

Mods,

Why does this say Lee ********???

lee ann rymes?

EDIT: lee *********

EDIT2: lee green wood

EDIT3: that was weird, greatam. dunno why it was censored. but not when you break up the name.

If you want quaint shore towns I would recommend heading to Red Bank as someone already suggested then taking 35 or 71 south to Spring Lake -- it is the absolute jewel of the NJ shore. I doubt there's more than 1 neon sign in the whole town. There are lovely B&B's in Spring Lake, many are open year round. If you do it in reverse, go to Spring Lake 1st then drive north, back toward your cruise destination, you can stay at the Molly Pitcher Inn in Red Bank.

This may be too far away for you as it is the bottom tip of New Jersey… but it you are looking for both beaches and quaint architecture I would recommend Cape May. It's probably a 3-hour drive from Cape Liberty. This was a big celebrity hangout around 100 years ago, and it has a lot of Victorian-era architecture. Lots of bed and breakfasts, and historic hotels. Easy ride down the Garden State Parkway. Visit capemay.com for details.

I am a fan of South Jersey... specifically Wildwood, Atlantic City and Cape May!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done it in a few years, but you can take a ferry from Liberty State Park to Ellis Island, and then take a ferry from there to The Statue of Liberty. Then from the Statue take the ferry back to NJ.

I also love science centers so I vote for the Liberty Science Center. I understand it was recently renovated.

• 1 month later...

The Newark Art Museum is a hidden gem. They have a fantastic exhibit about Tibet with an actual Buddhist temple that was dedicated by the Dali Lama plus several other permanent exhibitions. The changing exhibitions are usually quite nice. The museum is in downtown Newark so I wouldn’t go wandering around the area at night but I have never had a problem there during the day. There is parking right next to the museum in a secure guarded lot. It is easy to spend 3-4 hours at this museum and it is usually not crowded.

There website is http://www.newarkmuseum.org/museum_pages.aspx?id=402

The Newark Museum is located at:

49 Washington Street

Newark, New Jersey 07102

Newark's Downtown/Arts District

3 blocks from NJPAC

General Information: (973) 596-6550

Archived