Sightseeing in New Jersey

OK, we were planning to go to Manhattan for a few days before our September cruise...but we've both been there many times. What's there to see and do in New Jersey that time of year? We'll have a car so it doesn't matter how far we have to travel from EWR or Cape Liberty. Tell me about your favorites -- hotels, restaurants, scenery, shopping -- whatever will convince me to stay in NJ!

as much as i love NJ...i don't think there is anything in the immediate area that would entice you. i know there isn't anywhere i go. but...i think Six Flags Great Adventure is still open that time.

maybe you can do that?

- i would have to also say the Jets and Giants should be underway with football.

- wedenesdays and saturdays there is a flea market in the Giants Stadium parking lot.

- restaurants in NJ

- Paisano's (Park Ave, Rutherford) - italian

- Mignon (Park Ave, Rutherford) - bistro

- After Athens (Park Ave, Rutherford) - greek

THESE ARE ALL BYOB and are my favorite resturants on that street

- La Cibelas (Rutherford) - spanish...as in Spain

- Adega (Ferry Street, Newark) - portuguese, upscale

- Iberia Peninsula (Ferry Street, Newark) - portuguese, rhodizio

- Bella Napoli (Broad Street, Clifton) - italian

- Buco (Allwood Rd, Clifton) - italian

- Minado (Morris Plains, Rt 10) - kor/jap/asian buffet, higher end

- pick any diner in NJ. i recommend Tick Tock Diner (Clifton, Rt 3 - westbound)

If you are a history buff, you can go to various battle fields. George Washington seems to have slept everywhere in Morristown. Do you like to gamble, you can drive all the way to AC. Sunrise Mountain at High Point state park all the way on the western side of the state by the Deleware water gap is lovely, as is Water Gap National park. Short Hills mall is a great place to shop if you want 5th Avenue designer selections w/o NY State sales tax.

If you want a spectacular view of the NYC skyline & fine dining, try the Highlawn Pavillion in West Orange.

If you are a history buff, you can go to various battle fields. George Washington seems to have slept everywhere in Morristown. Do you like to gamble, you can drive all the way to AC. Sunrise Mountain at High Point state park all the way on the western side of the state by the Deleware water gap is lovely, as is Water Gap National park. Short Hills mall is a great place to shop if you want 5th Avenue designer selections w/o NY State sales tax.

If you want a spectacular view of the NYC skyline & fine dining, try the Highlawn Pavillion in West Orange.

i dunno, trish1c...our 7% isn't exactly cheap these days...that's the crappy part. but still better shopping on our side...more room and PARKING IS MOSTLY FREE.

oh...another great view would be:

- Arthur's Landing (Weehawken) $$$$

- The Chart House (Weekawken) $$$$

The whole world can't be Happy Valley. It even costs an arm & a blue & white leg to park up there now.

We ARE. . . .

hey trish1c....wanna buy a pair of PSU vs ND tickets? i'll sell them for the bargain basement price of...

...nevermind.

are you free? swing by parsippany on july 29. freshman sendoff picnic. http://www.psunj.org ooops...PENN STATE!

Also Thomas Edison has an Historic site in the oranges that is very interesting and includes many of his inventions and his homestead...There are many things to see in NJ.....The Battleship NJ is in Trenton. Flemington has interesting outlet stores....but these are far afield. Washington Crossing(you know Washington crossing the Delaware on ice-soon to be a show on RC) is also interesting but it is on the Penn NJ border....PS NY has passed a law abolishing sales tax on clothing completely after 7/1 I believe...it may be effective later

I have to second the suggestion of Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

For shopping Short Hills Mall is pretty impressive and/or Jersey Gardens Mall which is a very large indoor upscale outlet mall.

This is great. I love the idea of taking the ferry -- have been to Statue of Liberty but not Ellis Island. What is there to do at the Jersey Shore in September? Love the restaurant recommendations, too. Thanks for the suggestion about football games...but coming from the Dallas area, we get more football than anyone should have to endure!

This is great. I love the idea of taking the ferry -- have been to Statue of Liberty but not Ellis Island. What is there to do at the Jersey Shore in September? Love the restaurant recommendations, too. Thanks for the suggestion about football games...but coming from the Dallas area, we get more football than anyone should have to endure!

omg...that land of football....friday night lights! where HS stadiums rival college stadiums. i love it!!!

hmmmm...dunno about the jersey shore in the september...if it's around labor day...i probably wouldn't go. first of all...they are, for the most part, overcrowded. can the frequent beach-goers ID the not-so-crowded beaches? the closest beach that i would go to is in caribbean...THOSE are beaches.

the restaurants i mentioned aren't fine dining. they are "good bang for the buck with a lot of class".

kiwi...who's melanie?

kiwi...who's melanie? Quote by ZoneHPH

Melanie Maguire is the NJ nurse who was recently convicted of killing her DH, cutting him up and putting him in their matching luggage and throwing him into the Chesapeake Bay. I think she was from Woodbridge?

omg...i must not be paying attention to the news in the morning while getting ready for work. i'm focusing way tooooo much on jodie applegate and ines rosales on GoodDay NY...hehehehehehehe.

(in HS...it used to be the morning workout shows.) hehehheheeh.

I'm a native Californian and love it, but my husband's family lives at the Jersey Shore. I LOVE to go back there because of the things that are DIFFERENT from California.

After you get out of Newark and head south to about Red Bank (someone from New Jersey please help me if I forget anything please?) you've got quaint towns with great antique and other shops, older homes with varied architectural styles, fun restaurants and good beaches. Heading south along the ocean you will pass through, among other towns, Deal (where it's fun to drive up and down a few streets and see HUGE old restored mansions, mindful of Gatsby), Ocean Grove (quite a bit to see and reasonable B and B's if you want to stay over at the shore-nice main shopping street), further down upscale Spring Lake (with beautiful very expensive B and B's) and my favorite, ending at Point Pleasant where there's an old honky tonk boardwalk/amusement park for all ages.

Perhaps there's already a lot of greenery and foliage where you live, but in California-not so much-, so it's nice to see trees everywhere and, again, homes that are not cookie-cutter...It's like going to another era to me.

I wouldn't try this as a day-trip...only if you have time to stay overnight...although it "could" be done...after Labor Day when the traffic is not so bad.

I also really like the previous ideas of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island if your time is limited.

I've been to the Short Hills mall, but I can't imagine why you'd want to spend time in a mall unless you forget something you want to take on the cruise...or just want to do some upscale shopping. It's a mall..not a tourist destination.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!;)

murphysmum

I'm a Jersey girl through and through and I absolutely love going down the shore (was there Friday, going back tomorrow!). But I'm from South Jersey, so here's the scoop on our beaches... You can hit Ocean City, NJ for a traditional boardwalk/beach day and then Atlantic City is just down the road. If you do it, eat in AC, the restaurants are much better (and too many to name...I'll just say that anything in the Borgata is great, and Carmine's is also wonderful).

If you're not looking for beach, I'd recommend trying the Washington Crossing/Lambertville area. Check out the historical sites at the park, then wander around the shops in Lambertville. Walk across the bridge into New Hope for some more unique shops, cafes, and restaurants. September is my favorite time of the year in Lambertville/New Hope...but watch out, on the weekends it will be crowded! (so if you can't find parking, cross the bridge into New Hope and head straight up the hill to park at the high school for about $5).

Or, as was suggested above, head down to Philly. There is so much to do in Philly you will not be bored. Check out Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and the new Constitution Center. Or head over to the Art Musuem, Franklin Institute, or any of the other museums. If you still have time, take the ferry to NJ and see the State Aquarium. (But don't go wandering around in Camden...even during the day!)

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time!

Archived