Back to back sailings

ma99

Yes, there have been a number of threads on this, you do get to stay, the pools and some dining opitons are open, the purser will send you a letter giving you details, we plan on doing laundry on ours, as we can't pack two weeks of clothes in the new 50lb. airline limited suitcases. Her shoes weigh half of that. The best part is Saturday moring, when you can walk down to the crowds in robe and bunny slippers wishing them a nice day in the traffic and airports!!

Steve is right, but we have been on some back to backs where the pools were closed for maintenance.

The best back to back dining was between our two cruises on Royal Caribbean...the Radiance came into San Diego, but left for Hawaii from Ensenada (that old Jones Act!). 12 couples had run of the ship for a 3 hour cruise, and we were dined in one of the specialty restaurants for lunch, where we all had window side tables.

That is living right!

Steve is right, but we have been on some back to backs where the pools were closed for maintenance.

The best back to back dining was between our two cruises on Royal Caribbean...the Radiance came into San Diego, but left for Hawaii from Ensenada (that old Jones Act!). 12 couples had run of the ship for a 3 hour cruise, and we were dined in one of the specialty restaurants for lunch, where we all had window side tables.

That is my dream for the future. Doing a back to back. Maybe when I turn 55 and retire.

My friend just got off the Regal/Alaska. She said that they couldn't do laundry when in port. Does it depend on the size of the ship?

We do B2B with Princess and Celebrity on a regular basis. Mom just walks about the ship and then enjoys the special lunch they make for the continuing guests. I take off on a day fishing boat or rent a car. The pool is open all day unless they are doing maintenance. You are free to go and come to the ship as you please, although you will have to go through security each time. The single trips are just too short to maximize the air travel dollar value.

John

Of course, being there to greet the "first" passengers on the second leg, you know the ones at the head of the lifrount of the line thinking " I am the at the it, number one" and you are there to say "it's about time, where have you been?".

We were a b2b a while back and got off the ship, as we used it as a regular port day. Got back to the ship and there was a big crowd waiting to board. There was a rather rude couple at the front of the line, making sure they were going to be "the first on board". We came through as instructed, showed our "in transit" pass and proceeded to board. In back of us, we heard that couple complain to the hostesses, "why are they letting those crew members on where WE board!!" All I did was laugh hysterically, if she mistook my husband and myself for crew members at our age!!!!! BTW, have our next b2b in November, they are the best for all the reasons already stated above!!!!

Perfect!... I plan on greeting the grumpy in my bathrobe...

We were a b2b a while back and got off the ship, as we used it as a regular port day. Got back to the ship and there was a big crowd waiting to board. There was a rather rude couple at the front of the line, making sure they were going to be "the first on board". We came through as instructed, showed our "in transit" pass and proceeded to board. In back of us, we heard that couple complain to the hostesses, "why are they letting those crew members on where WE board!!" All I did was laugh hysterically, if she mistook my husband and myself for crew members at our age!!!!! BTW, have our next b2b in November, they are the best for all the reasons already stated above!!!!

Our first cruise was a b2b back in 1995. When we got back to Ft. Lauderdale I thought, what the heck, I’ll just walk to the closest store and pick up some beer and pop. So off I went, on foot, on my quest for beverages and adventure. I happened to leave the ship at the same time as the lounge piano player and asked her if she knew of a store near by. She pointed me toward 17th St. with the warning that it was a bit of a walk. I later found out that this woman was not prone to exaggeration.

After a good 30-45 minute walk I ended up at the Publix market and bought 2 - 1/2 cases of pop and 2 - 1/2 cases of beer. I stepped outside of the store and I swear that the temperature had gone up 10 degrees. When I got back to the ship, my arms were two inches longer and I must have looked like I just finished a marathon.

I walked up the gangway, showed my transit card, (These were the good old days when there was no problem with bringing alcohol on board) headed to the nearest bar and ordered an ice cold beer. (The beer that I had bought was as warm as bath water).

What did I learn?

1) Even if you are going for only a "short walk" put on sunscreen. I was wearing a tank top and it was the only time on the whole cruise that I got a slight sunburn.

2) Beware of piano players that say “it’s a bit of a walk”.

3) When we were on the first leg of our b2b we bought a video camera and a few other things. On the second leg I bought a bracelet for my wife that was sort of pricey. If I had declared the video camera when I got off after the first leg we would not have gone over our limit, so I had to pay duty on the total of the items we bought during the two weeks, DUMB!!!

4) The money that I saved buying the beer & pop at the store vs. the cost of the same drinks on board was a lot less than the duty we had to pay. Obviously I had my priorities a little screwed up.

srphnx,

Did you get your back to back t-shirts printed up!

Archived