Purchasing Artwork while onboard? Auction/Art Gallery ?

NJOY2CRUISE

HI.

Just curious if anyone has participated in any art auctions while aboard ship and if they are worth it?

Any tips/suggestions on how to proceed? I was just on the Pride of Hawaii and thought about stopping in.. but didn't.. Sooo... I wanted some feedback for my next cruising venture...

Thanks!:)

waste of money. create your own artwork and buy it- the on board pictures are way more worth your money! but if it what you enjoy (to sit in a lounge and participate in an auction and try to win artwork and sip champagne) then by all means do it! I dont remember if NCL had it, but i do know Carnival has one or more on every cruise. huge money maker, so i am sure they do.

NCL does have the art auctions. They had some problems with them last year and have switched companies. My dad has never bought a single painting at the auctions, he likes to go to hear about the artwork (and learn something he says...) He has won a free painting BOTH of the last two cruises. (says he's going for three in a row on the Pearl on July 15). These are actually very nice and large paintings (and framed) for free pictures!

My brother in law is an art conissuer and goes and has bought on the last two cruises. He says the artwork that he has been able to purchase is worth more than he paid and would cost a lot more if he went to an art store. (he knows his art though and knows when the bidding on a piece becomes too high for the value of the painting)

We went to the art auctions on our May 2005 cruise. We had a great time. The auctioneer (through Park West) was very knowledgeable, funny, and gave the audience time to get into the auction. We actually bought to very large pieces for a very good price. They are beautifully framed and were shipped to our house directly. We also enjoyed ourselves tremendously.

My husband went to the Art auction on our last cruise (the 17th) and did not enjoy it as much. He felt the auctioneer was rude and rushed thru the whole event.

My husband went to the Art auction on our last cruise (the 17th) and did not enjoy it as much. He felt the auctioneer was rude and rushed thru the whole event.

From what my dad has found out, NCL started their own art auction company and that is the company that now handles the on board auctions. If what you are describing is correct, it sounds like the new art auction people learned their methods from the unprofessional and rude Photography Department on NCL....:D

We will find out in a couple weeks when dad is on the Pearl.

We have purchased art on a couple of cruises. We find that the art auctions are alot of fun and very informative about the different artists. I do think that you have to know what you are looking for and the approximate value if you purchased it elsewhere. We have been able to buy art at 1/3 the cost of what it would be at a local art gallery and we have also won several pieces of art that we enjoy.

To the OP: I find the art auctions worthwhile whether you actually purchase anything or not. Depending on the auctioneer, it can be fun and educational. Over the years, I have purchased a number of pieces on cruise ships and still have them hanging on my walls.

My rule of thumb is: bid (buy) only if you actually like the piece and can picture it hanging on your walls. Set a price that you think the piece is worth to you. Never consider it an investment and never buy a piece on that basis. Listen carefully to the auctioneer, keeping in mind that it's his business to encourage sales. Make sure you know the details about what you're bidding on (i.e., is it an original, a lithograph, a serigraph, is it signed, is it auto-signed, etc.). When you set a maximum price that you're willing to spend, subtract the shipping & handling fee, the auctioneer's commission (usually 15%), and any fee for appraisal and/or provenance. That way, you come up with the real price that you're willing to "pay". Then, stick to your guns and do not exceed that price.

I actually really enjoy the art auctions. I'm by no means an art connosieur (sp?), but I think that we got a pretty good deal on the pieces that we've purchased, and they look beautiful in our home. I would suggest going and watching the auctions, there's no need to buy anything and they give you free champagne :)

IMHO, the art auctions are usually funnier than the comics at the evening show. Go, drink the free booze, and make fun of the people who believe the auctionier (sp?) and buy the stuff. Part of the mindset that people will buy anything on a cruise.

DON

Don, the piece we recently bought for $245 on the cruise, sold for over $600 at a local art gallery here in Connecticut. So???? The frame itself was worth the price (if you know anything about framing).:o

My suggestion to anyone who cares is look at the art. If you really like something, think about what you'd pay for it. Talk to the auctioneer. They know and can tell you a ball park figure that it might go for. Then, ask them to put it up for bid. It's very possible that you will be the only bidder. Then, you name your price. Of course, they do have a minimum bid that they will accept. But, it's very worthwhile!

Buy what you love, don't pay too much for it. Park West is fairly reputable, but they want you to buy as "an investment". Don't. I heard one dealer say "All the dealers are collecting Arthur Schmuckly's works. Do you know what that means?"

I said to my better half: "Yeah, it means there's no sucker like a salesman!" She almost spat out her drink, laughing. "The Fine Art of Cruising" has replaced on Park West on many (if not all) NCL ships. They actually have far more intriguing pieces.

Crazy, true story. In 2002, I had to leave the Caronia at Gibraltar to rush home--my dad was dying. We decided to leave my wife, son and nanny aboard as the chances of making connections went down drastically if we went together. We cancelled a trip to the Lakes District with Mancunian friends that was to follow the cruise. The art dealer (neither P/W or FAOC) was a real slimeball, always making suggestive remarks. As soon as he heard (somehow) I was off the ship, he went after my wife, inviting her to his cabin to "discuss business". She was having none of it and went right to the head of security. Since we were on our fourth Caronia cruise and were really good friends with one of the officers (his wife was going to stay with us in Sept 2001 and meet the Caronia in NYC--you know what killed THAT!), they took care of it right away. He was put off the ship at the next port, and barred from Cunard.

I know nothing about art. What little I do know I've learned from the auctioners on cruises and the people sitting around me. It's very interesting. It's part of the appeal of the cruise. To experience something different. You will not feel pressured to buy anything. Go with it and just have fun. You'll be glad you did. If you get bored, just leave.

On our last cruise, attending the art auctions actually was something our children really enjoyed. My son, then 15, commented that the art auctions were "surprisingly interesting". He had taken a basic art class in school and was familiar with many of the artists whose works were at the auction. Our daughters also enjoyed the whole atmosphere. (but perhaps my kids are just weird?LOL)

We bought a few pieces for our house, and we are very happy with the price we paid for them. They are a lovely reminder of our cruise!

Archived