Considerations for a Late Fall Cruise

jrowland

Have noticed during my research on European River Cruises the Special Priced cruises during the late Fall time period Nov - December.

Besides price, are there are there any other significant considerations should be aware of when deciding when to cruise?

I would think the crowds would be less in the fall. What might we expect weather wise if cruised in Nov? We are looking at the Amsterdam-Budpest or Basel - Amsterdam routes.

Thanks!

Not to disagree with Steamboats, but merely to point out that there IS a chance you may get lucky with the weather - our first (and so far, only) river cruise was on Uniworld's "River Countess" from Budapest to Amsterdam, from November 09-23, 2006. The weather was "crisp", but not brutally cold, often sunny with the odd days of rain or showers, but no snow or fog. The local tour guides in the towns often remarked on how lucky we were, as there is "usually" snow at that time of year. I had planned to pack my winter (thermal) underwear, but forgot them at home. As it turned out, I never needed them at all in Europe, but missed them sorely after landing back in Seattle in the worst storm of the winter. :( (We live in Vancouver, Canada, and were snowbound in Seattle for a couple of days before finally making it home.)

The fall foliage was beautiful, some views are actually better than in Summer when the trees can hide the views. Of course, crowds are much smaller, though I was quite surprised to see so many other river cruise boats still cruising that late in the year. Our sailing was only half full, which made it a more comfortable cruise - less crowding in the dining room, smaller numbers going on tours, better able to get acquainted with ALL your cruise mates, etc.

The Christmas Markets in the various towns were scheduled to open the weekend after our cruise, and everywhere we went, there was great activity putting up booths and decorations.

As you mentioned, the cruise fare was lower, too, and I would jump at the chance to do it all again.

bcrcornet,

As your tour guides said: You were lucky last year :D ! Unfortunately the weather is something you never can rely on.

steamboats

Would you book a river cruise to Budapest to Bucharest in November? I'm torn between June and November. DH thinks it will be too cold in November.

Thanks, any info would be aprreciated.

Peggy

Just one opinion from a guy who cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam last year in late October...I would far rather have colder weather and fewer crowds than warm (or hot!) weather and tons of people. We greatly enjoyed the fall colors, and fortunately did not need more than a jacket, maybe a sweater under the jacket if early morning. For me it would be an easy decision...take the November instead of the June. You can always layer up if it gets really cold.

Just one opinion from a guy who cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam last year in late October...I would far rather have colder weather and fewer crowds than warm (or hot!) weather and tons of people. We greatly enjoyed the fall colors, and fortunately did not need more than a jacket, maybe a sweater under the jacket if early morning. For me it would be an easy decision...take the November instead of the June. You can always layer up if it gets really cold.

Thank you for your opinion. I can handle a sweater or two. I hadn't considered the fall colors. Great idea!

Peggy

Based on our experience, there are several points to consider when comparing Summer vs Fall cruising. 1) Prices for cruises in the Fall, such as November, are usually cheaper. 2) Airfares are lower since you are in the off season. 3) Crowds are definitely smaller. 4) Weather can be a factor, but we have traveled in mid October and early November without any major issues - make sure to take a fleece or warm sweater. This year we will be in France in mid-October. You can get info on average temperatures and precipitation at http://www.worldweather.org - click on climatological information.;)

In 2004 we did the Great Rivers of Europe....Amsterdam to Vienna in Nov. Absolutely loved this trip, but we definitely needed more than a fleece or heavy sweater. It was layering with a good jacket. We had and used scarves, gloves, ear muffs and long underwear (cudleduds....great!) and were never cold because we were prepared. We also had snow when we awoke in Passau. The pluses outweighed the brisk temperatures. Last year we traveled Eastern Europe to the Black Sea with an extension in Transylvania in Oct. We had showers, sun and pleasant weather, but needed a jacket (I took my leather) with a layer under on some brisk days. Especially in the mountains in Transylvania. It again was a great trip, and very pleasant traveling in the cooler temperatures as long as one is prepared.

L.L.

2006 had the warmest and best autumn ever in this part of Europe.

That said summer 2007 is wet, very cool/chilly, and windy till now...

(Spring was too warm and too sunny....)

Weather in this part of the world is very unstable.

Donot count on nice weather in November.

Like Steamboats mentions, chances for fog, cool to cold, rainy, windy weather are high!

Archived