Here we go...another "tipping" thread

tonimari99

You can actually fire people in the US as easy as that?

Yes, unless unionized, you can be fired for any or no reason in most states. There aren't as many unions as there used to be in the states and hardly any in the service industry so it's very easy to let people go.

Yes, tips are subject to taxes, from the employee not the employer.

In America if you stiff a waitress in a coffee house, the next time you visit this restaurant I guarantee you will be waiting a long time before being served. Why? None of the waitresses want to serve you. That is the way it is here in America.

You can be nice when you stiffed them and say you double tip the next time if you are a regular customer. Make up for the stiff. That is why tipping stays. I say do as the Romans do. You tip in America and I won't in Australia.

Oh, I will agree having a lesser minimum wage is wrong. But its constitutional here. No one works for crumbs.

Where I come from , if I stiffed a waiter/waitress I'd get 20 years - life, back to cultural differences

Took your advise and found the following:

“Sanctimonious twaddle from people who won't pay the taxes or vote for the government that will solve the problems of poverty, perferring instead to look big by throwing pennies at servants.”

“They are a lovely lot really - arch-conservative, all apple pie, early to bed, don't drink til you're 105, vote for Hitler if he wasn't so darned left wing, but essentially kind-hearted, caring people who try to help new cruisers. Bloody weird though - yanks, yah know? One guy signs off every time "nothing good happens after midnight". People actually say things like "God bless America" - don't get me started.”

Sarcasm? Irony? Don't think so. Please explain the "point" I apparently missed.

Your supposed to read them all, not just pick the ones you want. I have some humourous retorts I would like to add, but good ole happyscoooot reckons we are being too soft on the rednecks. I will leave him a chance to explain this in his way.

Your original post said it all - contemptuous, this also applies to the post you quoted above. There is also a 3 word Aussie phrase that sums him up as well. First two words are "taking the .....". I can't post the 3rd word here, as 1st ammendment does not apply on these boards.

Cheers,

Has he/she gone?

Is it safe to come out?

Blimey he/she could have picked a lot worse one's than those, eh? Broke the record for a post from someone who's never going to post ever ever again though - pretty impressive.

What's this thread about? Oh yes - tipping. Didn't this sort of reach a consensus a while back - all the non-tippers will happily pay it in the fare, then tip on top according to custom, ability to pay and service received. In Britland and Aussie-NZ lands that's pretty much the way it works anyway.

Are tippers content with this? Seems to me if all the cruise lines could get away with the necessary collusion, they'd go this way like a shot.

Tell me if you see him/her................

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:(

What's this thread about? Oh yes - tipping. Didn't this sort of reach a consensus a while back - all the non-tippers will happily pay it in the fare, then tip on top according to custom, ability to pay and service received. In Britland and Aussie-NZ lands that's pretty much the way it works anyway.

Are tippers content with this? Seems to me if all the cruise lines could get away with the necessary collusion, they'd go this way like a shot.

Tell me if you see him/her................

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:(

Consensus? You are starting to scare me! Works for me though.

When is your next 2 day cruise?

Cheers,

Consensus? You are starting to scare me! Works for me though.

When is your next 2 day cruise?

Cheers,

Hee hee.

I'm being cancelled in October, 2 hours into something called an Iberian Interlude, which is a short stroll around some channel/Bay of Biscay ports few have heard of and fewer would want to visit. Mind you, I couldn't resist visiting somewhere called Brest, which appeals to my schoolboy humour. I wonder where it's twinned with? I so hope it has a Mosque...(think about it....). With a bit of luck, they'll have a fishing museum too. OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!.

Bloody food better be good............

Hope I didn't ruin the Aussie you know what thread. I'm wise to it now..........

xxxxxxxxx

Hee hee.

I'm being cancelled in October, 2 hours into something called an Iberian Interlude, which is a short stroll around some channel/Bay of Biscay ports few have heard of and fewer would want to visit. Mind you, I couldn't resist visiting somewhere called Brest, which appeals to my schoolboy humour. I wonder where it's twinned with? I so hope it has a Mosque...(think about it....). With a bit of luck, they'll have a fishing museum too. OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!.

Bloody food better be good............

Hope I didn't ruin the Aussie you know what thread. I'm wise to it now..........

xxxxxxxxx

Heard a rumour it's Sea Princess again. There must be a major love of Syd Little. Lightning doesn't strike twice, right!

If it's the one I think - No, there were a couple of Caroline wannabees trying to moderate, thread is back to normal, awaiting your touch. We are having fun with Safari suits tonight though!

Come on everyone, lets all get this agreement thing going.

Cheers,

My DW and I are Hairstylists and we reguard a Tip as being a "reward" for Great service. That being said, if a Client gives say $1.00 for a $45.00 service, we tend to remember that client next time. ( if that client is financially challenged we take that into consideration, and yes Hairstylist are told Everything.) By "remembering" we mean to say that if He/She makes a habit out of changing, or cancelling appointments... it may be that much harder for that particular Client to get an appointment the next time... What tipping comes down to is saying : " Hey, Thanks for being so nice to me, and going out of your way to make my day that much better" ! It's a monetary thank you, and as Human Nature goes we all want to be "Thanked" in whatever we do !! Because of our professions we ALWAYS over tip by at least 25% to Staff who give us great service, and just 15% to those who do not... it "pays" to be nice.

My DW and I are Hairstylists and we reguard a Tip as being a "reward" for Great service. That being said, if a Client gives say $1.00 for a $45.00 service, we tend to remember that client next time. ( if that client is financially challenged we take that into consideration, and yes Hairstylist are told Everything.) By "remembering" we mean to say that if He/She makes a habit out of changing, or cancelling appointments... it may be that much harder for that particular Client to get an appointment the next time... What tipping comes down to is saying : " Hey, Thanks for being so nice to me, and going out of your way to make my day that much better" ! It's a monetary thank you, and as Human Nature goes we all want to be "Thanked" in whatever we do !! Because of our professions we ALWAYS over tip by at least 25% to Staff who give us great service, and just 15% to those who do not... it "pays" to be nice.

I had been a "hairstylist" for 20yrs, my best clients were the ones that said thankyou, did not get upset if I was running late, and appreciated my service. The ones that occassionally tipped were the ones that expected better treatment, to be squeezed in for an appointment and were more likey to be annoyed if i was running late. They were paying me to treat them better.......sorry......

Saying thankyou has nothing to do with money.

I then joined the policec force:eek: no tips, no thankyou, just insults, aggression, could go on, but I won't:D

Holy Guacamole,

If you were my hairdresser I'd be sporting a mohawk!! I think you should save the extra cash you spend in exuberant tips and go off and check into a Realty Clinic somewhere in the hills, I ask you.........

I had been a "hairstylist" for 20yrs, my best clients were the ones that said thankyou, did not get upset if I was running late, and appreciated my service. The ones that occassionally tipped were the ones that expected better treatment, to be squeezed in for an appointment and were more likey to be annoyed if i was running late. They were paying me to treat them better.......sorry......

Saying thankyou has nothing to do with money.

I then joined the policec force:eek: no tips, no thankyou, just insults, aggression, could go on, but I won't:D

Bloody police! Take that! Biff. (You don't mind if I call you Biff, do you?)

Huge cultural difference here, fascinating isn't it. I buy a £200 service. It was rubbish, so I immediately give you £30. In Britland, NZ and Aussie, that would lead to an opportunity to increase your familiarity with all-white clothing and confined spaces. In the US, you are making a radical anti-poor service stance because you didn't offer the guy intimate physical services and pay his mortgage off for him.

It's time we celebrated and enjoyed mutual chuckles at these perceived wackinesses rather than hurling trans-atlantic/trans-pacific insults. Ages back, we had a food thread like that where we all curled up in disgust at what each other ate, and it was fun. Turned out most thought their own foods were disgusting as well!

Want a go? Remember, you don't defend, you chuckle at yourselves and then come back with one.

I'll start - why do Americans play bizarre sports nobody else wants to, and then calls the final tie between two towns in Tennessee the Super World Universe Galaxy Cup or something?

:D

Why are Aussies the only country to play a type of football that no one else in the world does, takes two of its teams over to the UK, and then trys to call it an international!!???

And where does this game called hurling(curling, churling) whatever...the one where you push a big stone along the ice, with some cleaning woman with a broom clearing the way, originate from...the ice age??

Carefull there ,hurling is a real sport where I come from & most of us understand the rules of international rules!! (it's Ireland after all)

Tossing the Tipper, an international sport for all the family, do so at your own discretion, the winner collects a certain %, based on performance

disclaimer: We the organisers of the games accept no responsibility for the winner/s not receiving their full % entitlement from certain nationalities ie Antipedeons & ors

Why are Aussies the only country to play a type of football that no one else in the world does, takes two of its teams over to the UK, and then trys to call it an international!!???

And where does this game called hurling(curling, churling) whatever...the one where you push a big stone along the ice, with some cleaning woman with a broom clearing the way, originate from...the ice age??

Curling you fool, or "housework on ice" as we non-participants call it. Very big round here! Became briefly well-known in GB when the "British" (ie a small village in Scotland) team won an Olympic gold at it - think Jamaican bobsleigh. They would have made the inevitable film, but the Skip has a face like a horse.

Casshew, you refer to tossing the caber, which has different meanings in Scotland depending on whether you're 12 or 32. Best not to say that to anyone who actually CAN toss one, mind you. The most pointless of a whole series of pointless events at Highland Games, most of which are rather confusingly held in the Lowlands. Actually, not quite as pointless as smashing up a piano and pushing the bits through a hoop, unless of course you'd ever heard my 1st wife play............

But tossing the tipper sounds better. Hee hee. In flour, before lightly sauteing.

Why are Aussies so good at cricket? The only reason Scots ever watch it is because you always thrash the English. Er.....bonza, cobber, etc.

What is the purpose of New Zealand? Is there a bus stop there?

:D :D

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Only if reported...;)

But it is assumed that workers who are usually subject to tips received at least a certain amount in tips (I think they figure it at 10%). So that will be reported on their W-2 whether they received it or not. Also, if tips are paid by credit card, the actual amount is reported.

But it is assumed that workers who are usually subject to tips received at least a certain amount in tips (I think they figure it at 10%). So that will be reported on their W-2 whether they received it or not. Also, if tips are paid by credit card, the actual amount is reported.

Eh???

Oh right, yes, tipping thread, sorry.

:)

But tossing the tipper sounds better. Hee hee. In flour, before lightly sauteing.

Why are Aussies so good at cricket? The only reason Scots ever watch it is because you always thrash the English. Er.....bonza, cobber, etc.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tossing the tipper (overboard) worth an extra 10% for that!

We are good at cricket, because we are bad losers at it. It is pretty much a Commonwealth sport, so we don't have to beat the world, only the Poms. We don't get invites to the World Series.

Goodnight John Boy

Goodnight Mary Ellen

Goodnight Billy Joe Jim Bob Bob Bob, wherever you are!

Cheers,

Tossing the tipper (overboard) worth an extra 10% for that!

We are good at cricket, because we are bad losers at it. It is pretty much a Commonwealth sport, so we don't have to beat the world, only the Poms. We don't get invites to the World Series.

Goodnight John Boy

Goodnight Mary Ellen

Goodnight Billy Joe Jim Bob Bob Bob, wherever you are!

Cheers,

Billy Joe Jim Bob Bob Bob ran away with an Amish goat owing to the stress of milking native americans 24/7. I think you knew that. Are you trying to upset people?

:mad:

Casshew, you refer to tossing the caber,

I've tossed a few cabers in my day ;)

but I don't remember mentioning it on this thread :confused:

Curling you fool, or "housework on ice" as we non-participants call it. Very big round here! Became briefly well-known in GB when the "British" (ie a small village in Scotland) team won an Olympic gold at it - think Jamaican bobsleigh. They would have made the inevitable film, but the Skip has a face like a horse.

Casshew, you refer to tossing the caber, which has different meanings in Scotland depending on whether you're 12 or 32. Best not to say that to anyone who actually CAN toss one, mind you. The most pointless of a whole series of pointless events at Highland Games, most of which are rather confusingly held in the Lowlands. Actually, not quite as pointless as smashing up a piano and pushing the bits through a hoop, unless of course you'd ever heard my 1st wife play............

xxxxxxxxxxxx

No bus stop, WE ARE CLOSED :cool:

Careful you don't get tipped in "Tar and hay"

xxxxxxxxx

I have very sadly come to the conclusion that US cruisers get very nicely endowed with "onboard credits" On a 10 day cruise enuf to pay their bloody tips...., sorry, hotel and dinning (he he) charges. No such fortune offered to us down-under cruisers, so guess what decision this kid is coming to :D :D

Oh well at least I have brought this thread back to where it started :D

Hi CKZ...

please don't take this the wrong way...I really am curious...do you expect a tip every time you cut someones hair?? Do you not get a buzz out of someone sincerely thanking you for a great cut and style and them being excited by it?? You say it is human nature for people to want to be thanked,

but then you imply that it should be monetary. I find it hard to get my Aussie head around you paying someone an extra 15% on top of the fee you paid, for someone who you didn't think gave you great service. You imply that I should then bribe someone to give me service (It "pays" to be nice).

Me thinks (tongue in cheek) that bribery has started at the top and worked its way down to the bottom of the line in society.

Hope you are not offended...for me it is just a real cultural difference.

Cheers

Kaz

Hey Kaz !!! Not upset in the least, these threads are fun , and this is a "tipping Thread ";) .Just today I had a client receive a whole new Style/Color from me, she is Canadian(ie;no tip from her , and that's perfectly fine with me ), however, she went home and called me later on to say what a difference I had made in her life, and how much she loved my work... That gave me the warm fuzzies, and I was happy the rest of the day... much nicer than money yes !! But since we are talking about tipping waiters,etc. and I am American, I can sincerly say that money is also very well appreciated, different from bribing because the service has already been rendered. I too think that this is a cultural issue... PS: where else can you talk to a person from half way around the world !! Charles :p

Hey Kaz !!! Not upset in the least, these threads are fun , and this is a "tipping Thread ";) .Just today I had a client receive a whole new Style/Color from me, she is Canadian(ie;no tip from her , and that's perfectly fine with me ), however, she went home and called me later on to say what a difference I had made in her life, and how much she loved my work... That gave me the warm fuzzies, and I was happy the rest of the day... much nicer than money yes !! But since we are talking about tipping waiters,etc. and I am American, I can sincerly say that money is also very well appreciated, different from bribing because the service has already been rendered. I too think that this is a cultural issue... PS: where else can you talk to a person from half way around the world !! Charles :p
PPS I in no way intended to say that ALL Canadians are non-tippers, She just happenens to be from that country and did not tip , no offence intended !!

When will all you Commonwealth countries realize that we do IN FACT rule this world? ;)

No amount of whining about our onboard credits, sports, tipping or anything else will change that!! We in fact are a pain in your arse but hey, when your not in the lead the view is always the same!:p

And yes on my last Golden Princess cruise I paid MUCH less than an Aussie friend of mine AND by the time we cruised I had built up $250 of onboard credit!:eek:

But just to make ya feel better I bought my Aussie friend a couple of of pints with my onboard credit! LMAO!!!:D

When will all you Commonwealth countries realize that we do IN FACT rule this world? ;)

No amount of whining about our onboard credits, sports, tipping or anything else will change that!! We in fact are a pain in your arse but hey, when your not in the lead the view is always the same!:p

And yes on my last Golden Princess cruise I paid MUCH less than an Aussie friend of mine AND by the time we cruised I had built up $250 of onboard credit!:eek:

But just to make ya feel better I bought my Aussie friend a couple of of pints with my onboard credit! LMAO!!!:D

A personal question, I know.......but did you bring your own toilet paper on board?

Chez

xx

Archived