Disappointed with the Victory

I will also be on the cruise, with 15 people............my family was not to thrilled with going on this cruise (someone wanted to go to the Carri bean, someone else wanted to go a resort near AC........but since I took this cruise last year and had a wonderful time, this was the compromise...

I hope it is better than some of the reviews (although last week there were conflicting reviews for the same cruise)

My family was the same way, some people wanted a warmer place to visit. The main thing was we wanted something that left from New york so we would not have to fly, we wanted something short so we would not all kill each other by the end of the cruise ;) and we needed it to be in the summer so it would not interfear with the kids school schedule. this came up as the best one for all those things. Have fun with your family, I know I will have fun with mine.

Loralie

I agree with Op. Ok I have never been on a cruise. Our first will be on the Fantasy July 28. Ok I am assuming that the OP paid good money as all of us have for a good trip. I agree about the hand sanitizer. Carnival knows that can stop viruses. Did You complain that There Was No sunscreen provided? Shouldnt They since we all know it can cause cancer? Also I think carnival should give us all insect repellent since we all know that misquitos can cause the spread of many diseases. Also I Think That Carnival should provide us with condoms to stop the spread of STDS. Also I would like facemasks handed out so no one can spread germs By coughing on me. I want all this handed to us at embarkation because I Am too ignorant and cannot take care of myself .I am sure we can come up with more things for Carnival To give us for free. Any Ideas? Bon Voyagee! Mike

We were also shocked (that's the wrong word - since we knew from this board beforehand) to find that there was not a single hand sanitizer on board the ship. And the staff made it very clear that this antibacterial measure was NOT on board because noro is a VIRUS and it would not help protect against it. They mentioned that it would stop people from washing their hands and truly preventing NORO so Carnival made the choice to not use them on their ships. So then why Princess and HAL?

Personally, I agree that they should be on every ship AND people should also wash their hands many times during the day. These people who don't wash their hands are not going to do so anyway, so what's the harm?

The Carnival staff is mostly right. Norovirus does not respond to nor is it killed by hand sanitizers. You can physically remove it to a point, but trying to kill it without the sort of measures used in hospitals (gases) is futile. :rolleyes:

For a more informed view check this link:

http://www.asm.org/Media/index.asp?bid=42835

from the American Society of Microbiologists

And as far as the difference between HAL, Princess and Carnival, I would write that off as different divisions being allowed to run independently.

(I just remembered. ***** Advisory**** There were TWO formal night on this 5 day cruise. I planned for one! So be prepared! Second and fourth night.)

I just told my DH this and he said I'm wrong (meaning you are lol!) Never heard of 2 formal nights on a 5 nighter....anyone else have that happen or was it just that sailing???

I forgot they had sprung that on us as well, on the Triumph, also up to Canada for a 5 nighter. I thought they had made a mistake, but no.

This was back in 1999, and I'm pretty sure we just said "screw this" and went to dinner dressed casual.

However.....I believe when I'm exposed to massive amounts (1000's) of people coming from all over the country, with varying degrees of personal hygiene, and being confined with them on a Cruise Ship, I'd rather have the Sanitizer available.....YOU MAY MAKE A PERSONAL CHOICE NOT TO USE IT.

Exactly. Something like this should not be forced on passengers. It is your choice to use it, my choice not to use it. That's one reason why I like Carnival - they don't make you use it.

Thanks for your review. My two favorite lines are Carnival and NCL and sometimes I wish I could just take the best of both and make one!!!!

I will be in suite 7299 in August... do you have any photos of the suite you could send me or any other info? I hope the matress is replaced before we go; maybe I need to e-mail Bob!!!!

Hope so! We don't tend to take pictures of cabins, just occasionally the people in them! The layout of the cabin is very nice. The bed is in an alcove with lots and lots of counter space around it for books, eyeglasses etc. The clothing drawers there was clean. Off that is a vanity make up area and the closets--reasonable amounts of storage. The vanity area has a small deep sink--handy! Next to it is the bath. The whirlpool bath is just a regular tub with whirlpool jets--we didn't use it. There's a hair dryer.

In front of the bed is the sitting area with a sofa bed and two arm chairs plus a table. Between that and the door are again lots of counters and another chair--one side can be used as a desk, the other as a bar. The balcony is fairly spacious, and well-protected from wind.

Two caveats: You can hear EVERYTHING going on in the corridor--there are ventilation slats on the door. If you can hear them then they.....can hear you.

Also, there's a really weird twist--there are two reading lights at the bed. The ocean side one is fine but the inboard one bounces off all the angled mirrors so if you are reading in bed it comes RIGHT back directly into your eyes! I fixed it by hanging a beach towel over the bar-side mirror to block it--must have confused the room steward! I don't know why it had to be that mirror, not the one directly across from the bed, but I'm not Isaac Newton, and I've not read his "Opticks". Yes, it's minor, yes it's weird, yes, it's easy to compensate for!

I agree with Op. Ok I have never been on a cruise. Our first will be on the Fantasy July 28. Ok I am assuming that the OP paid good money as all of us have for a good trip. I agree about the hand sanitizer. Carnival knows that can stop viruses. Did You complain that There Was No sunscreen provided? Shouldnt They since we all know it can cause cancer? Also I think carnival should give us all insect repellent since we all know that misquitos can cause the spread of many diseases. Also I Think That Carnival should provide us with condoms to stop the spread of STDS. Also I would like facemasks handed out so no one can spread germs By coughing on me. I want all this handed to us at embarkation because I Am too ignorant and cannot take care of myself .I am sure we can come up with more things for Carnival To give us for free. Any Ideas? Bon Voyagee! Mike

What a pusillanimous post. I suggest you also ask Carnival to give you a discount by not providing you with life-preservers either.

Norwalk Virus invaded ships about 5 years ago--if you've ever BEEN on a ship that got hit with it, it's pretty unpleasant. in 2002 people didn't know what it was and tried to tough it out...so we ended up with someone vomiting all over a tour bus who should have stayed on board. I missed Barcelona the first time we were there because I was doing the porcelain genuflection all day. Out of 650 passengers over 200 had it, and 100 crew were down. Yeah, they were wearing masks, latex gloves, handing out hand wipes, scouring EVERYTHING, and doing it all on skeleton staffs. People weren't touching banisters if they could avoid it, and victims were quarantined.

I've noticed in life, no matter WHAT precaution is suggested, there's someone who'll say you shouldn't bother because they have something or other that "proves" it isn't so. Forcing passengers re-boarding to sanitize their hands is in the ship's SELF-INTEREST! A ship is a confined enviroment and once Noro hits, it spreads like wildfire if not IMMEDIATELY contained. My wife caught it on the Dawn and she was quarantined for 24 hours (not like she felt like going anywhere).

For those of you who aren't familiar with it--if it's on a ship they call it Norwalk or Noro Virus. Most people call it the 24 hour stomach flu. It's basically the same thing, with all the unpleasant ramifications, and mutates fairly frequently so you can get it again....

Been there, done that, it ain't paranoia.

My family was the same way, some people wanted a warmer place to visit. The main thing was we wanted something that left from New york so we would not have to fly, we wanted something short so we would not all kill each other by the end of the cruise ;) and we needed it to be in the summer so it would not interfear with the kids school schedule. this came up as the best one for all those things. Have fun with your family, I know I will have fun with mine.

Loralie

This was practically our same criteria..........are you sure you aren't with my family?

I was just on the Victory in late May. I have not posted my review yet and it is positive. I work in a hospital and alcohol does not kill the germs that give you the virus. Hand washing with soap and water does.When we had the Norovirus outbreak we were ordered to wash with soap and water for 15 sec and not to bother with the cleansers like Purell because they don't work on the germ that is the Norovirus. Back to the Victory. It was my first time and I had a great experience. I never saw any movies but I was not on my cruise for the movies. My family had a blast and I am planning my next cruise with Carnival. One of my best friends who is a neat freak prefers Carnival over the other cruise lines because of the cleanliness, BTW she was on the Victory last year and it was because of her we chose the Victory.

Hope so! We don't tend to take pictures of cabins, just occasionally the people in them! The layout of the cabin is very nice. The bed is in an alcove with lots and lots of counter space around it for books, eyeglasses etc. The clothing drawers there was clean. Off that is a vanity make up area and the closets--reasonable amounts of storage. The vanity area has a small deep sink--handy! Next to it is the bath. The whirlpool bath is just a regular tub with whirlpool jets--we didn't use it. There's a hair dryer.

In front of the bed is the sitting area with a sofa bed and two arm chairs plus a table. Between that and the door are again lots of counters and another chair--one side can be used as a desk, the other as a bar. The balcony is fairly spacious, and well-protected from wind.

dodge9 - hope these help:

http://www.shutterfly.com/share/pictures.jsp?http=www.shutterfly.com

(p. 8 and 9 - room 7294)

I was on this sailing as well. My experience was the complete opposite.

We had "non-pay per view" movies in the cabin - my 8yo & I watched "Code Name: The Cleaner", "Full of It", and "The Last Mimzy". She missed not having Cartoon Network - her father and I didn't. ;)

We had hot meals - we were the early seating in the Pacific Dining Room. Our head waiter was wonderful. We got everything we wanted, from 2 servings of soup to extra appetizers and offers for extra entrees if we wanted. One night, he didn't bring my husband's dessert. My DH decided he really didn't need it so we left. The next night, Christopher came over and just apologized like there was no tomorrow. Very, very nice that he acknowledged his error. When we tried to hand him his tip the last night, he actually said "No, lousy service." and we had to make him take the envelope. We did not feel like it was lousy service at all.

Oh, and yes, there were 2 formal nights. We told the waiter we wouldn't be in for the first and he said "Oh, don't miss dinner, just come in what you have - just no shorts or tank tops. You don't want to miss the Lobster & Prime Rib." When we saw the second listing for a formal night, we considered not attending but did anyway. Much more casual the second night.

We had a scrupulously clean cabin (actually 3 - we were in an aft wrap & 2 side balconies). Steward was always on top of things - clean surfaces, no grunge anywhere. The ship was always being cleaned or painted.

There are signs of age - the furniture on the promenade could stand an upholstery refresh. The seats in the buffet dining room could as well. Those seahorses though... they need frequent feeding. One daughter got a bite on her side and the other a few nibbles on her leg... I learned to just walk in the center of the stairs and to give them wide berth.

Oh, another thing - in reviews I read, attitude of the staff was a huge thing. We encountered nothing but nice, friendly people with smiles and "Hi"s.

Our previous Carnival experience is with Conquest class ships. It was interesting to see the smaller size, and to walk around going "OK, this is where the teen disco would be, or this is where the second buffet line would go." We prefer the bigger ships - a little more elbow room and not so much in the way of crowds. I would probably consider another cruise on a Destiny class though, especially if it would get us to a new destination.

I was on this sailing as well. My experience was the complete opposite.

We had "non-pay per view" movies in the cabin - my 8yo & I watched "Code Name: The Cleaner", "Full of It", and "The Last Mimzy". She missed not having Cartoon Network - her father and I didn't. ;)

We had hot meals - we were the early seating in the Pacific Dining Room. Our head waiter was wonderful. We got everything we wanted, from 2 servings of soup to extra appetizers and offers for extra entrees if we wanted. One night, he didn't bring my husband's dessert. My DH decided he really didn't need it so we left. The next night, Christopher came over and just apologized like there was no tomorrow. Very, very nice that he acknowledged his error. When we tried to hand him his tip the last night, he actually said "No, lousy service." and we had to make him take the envelope. We did not feel like it was lousy service at all.

Oh, and yes, there were 2 formal nights. We told the waiter we wouldn't be in for the first and he said "Oh, don't miss dinner, just come in what you have - just no shorts or tank tops. You don't want to miss the Lobster & Prime Rib." When we saw the second listing for a formal night, we considered not attending but did anyway. Much more casual the second night.

We had a scrupulously clean cabin (actually 3 - we were in an aft wrap & 2 side balconies). Steward was always on top of things - clean surfaces, no grunge anywhere. The ship was always being cleaned or painted.

There are signs of age - the furniture on the promenade could stand an upholstery refresh. The seats in the buffet dining room could as well. Those seahorses though... they need frequent feeding. One daughter got a bite on her side and the other a few nibbles on her leg... I learned to just walk in the center of the stairs and to give them wide berth.

Oh, another thing - in reviews I read, attitude of the staff was a huge thing. We encountered nothing but nice, friendly people with smiles and "Hi"s.

Our previous Carnival experience is with Conquest class ships. It was interesting to see the smaller size, and to walk around going "OK, this is where the teen disco would be, or this is where the second buffet line would go." We prefer the bigger ships - a little more elbow room and not so much in the way of crowds. I would probably consider another cruise on a Destiny class though, especially if it would get us to a new destination.

Thanks for the positives...Glad to hear you had a good time, I will watch out for those seahorses:eek:

O.K....I am confused. :confused: What is this about seahorses? Anybody have a pic?

Loralie

We just returned from a 5 day cruise... the Victory and were quite disappointed with the Carnival experience...

They didn't even have a barbecue....

The third big surprise was how little open space there was. This was the most cramped ship we've ever been on...the main and rear pool area on the Victory...

...we were astonished by how dirty the ship was. We didn't dare use cabinets in the bath or drawers in the dressing area as they were filthy. Much of the ship could have been cleaner. Room maintenance was poor to go with that...

i don't remember there not being a grill on any CCL ship, including victory. maybe i just didn't notice?

the victory doesn't have a lack of open space as much as it does an inherent design flaw, i think. i believe that the placement of the bandshell on lido, totally messes things up on that deck, and make things seem more crowded and, w/o a doubt, definitely makes it more difficult to get around. though, once you are on the ship for a day, you get acclimated.

i understand the conquest class is similarly layed out. i am excited to cruise that class, but do hope that: 1) the poolside stadium seating will have more room btwn levels; and 2) the bandshell has been relocated. but, if neither of those things have happened, we will still have a wonderful time, i'm sure.

re: your cabin, you really shld have insisted that it be cleaned. and, if it the drawers, etc., were not, you shld have seen the hotel supervisor. this shldn't have been necessary at all, of course, but occasionally, things like this do happen, and you need to speak up to let them know you see it, and want it corrected. i wldn't dismiss CCL b/c of this. our cabin steward, for the most part, have always been fantastic.

Pete -- have a great time on your cruise, and remember to watch out for the seahorses!

O.K....I am confused. :confused: What is this about seahorses? Anybody have a pic?

Loralie

Loralie - The seahorses hold up the railings along the stairs. People tend to clip their ankles or shins on them regularly. Mr. Pete started a thread on here a while ago with pictures. They look harmless, though.:D

i understand the conquest class is similarly layed out. i am excited to cruise that class, but do hope that: 1) the poolside stadium seating will have more room btwn levels; and 2) the bandshell has been relocated. but, if neither of those things have happened, we will still have a wonderful time, i'm sure.

You're sailing Liberty, right? The bandshell is right under the big screen, not out in the middle of the Lido deck like Victory. As far as I can tell, though, that's only on Liberty and Freedom - the older Conquest-class ships have the bandshell in the middle of the deck as well.

You're sailing Liberty, right? The bandshell is right under the big screen, not out in the middle of the Lido deck like Victory. As far as I can tell, though, that's only on Liberty and Freedom - the older Conquest-class ships have the bandshell in the middle of the deck as well.

thanks for that info. that is good to know. now, mind you, i'd never cancel a cruise based on this of course (LOL), but i do think they made a boo-boo when they laid it out that way. makes for wasted space, dead ends, and a little difficult to navigate. but it is a pretty ship.

i don't remember there not being a grill on any CCL ship, including victory. maybe i just didn't notice?

Hmm, I just looked at the deck plan for the Victory. I wonder what the Station called "Mississippi BBQ" opposite the pizza place is. :confused:

Okay, thanks. I'll look for it.

Karen-I'm almost positive the tour is called Saint Martins and Bay of Fundy tour. It is around $80 dollars and well worth it. I thought the Fish Chowder was delicious. Try to get on Debbie's bus, they have at least three for this tour. We had our lunch around 12:45 on this tour but each bus eats at a different time. Enjoy.

Hmm, I just looked at the deck plan for the Victory. I wonder what the Station called "Mississippi BBQ" opposite the pizza place is. :confused:

I'm pretty sure the Mississippi BBQ is where I got those delicious hotdogs on the Victory. They also serve hamburgers, fries, and chicken.

I'm pretty sure the Mississippi BBQ is where I got those delicious hotdogs on the Victory. They also serve hamburgers, fries, and chicken.

And if it is like all the rest, yummy BBQ steak sandwiches.

Two caveats: You can hear EVERYTHING going on in the corridor--there are ventilation slats on the door. If you can hear them then they.....can hear you.

Also, there's a really weird twist--there are two reading lights at the bed. The ocean side one is fine but the inboard one bounces off all the angled mirrors so if you are reading in bed it comes RIGHT back directly into your eyes! I fixed it by hanging a beach towel over the bar-side mirror to block it--must have confused the room steward! I don't know why it had to be that mirror, not the one directly across from the bed, but I'm not Isaac Newton, and I've not read his "Opticks". Yes, it's minor, yes it's weird, yes, it's easy to compensate for!

What I said

What You said

What a pusillanimous post. I suggest you also ask Carnival to give you a discount by not providing you with life-preservers either.

Norwalk Virus invaded ships about 5 years ago--if you've ever BEEN on a ship that got hit with it, it's pretty unpleasant. in 2002 people didn't know what it was and tried to tough it out...so we ended up with someone vomiting all over a tour bus who should have stayed on board. I missed Barcelona the first time we were there because I was doing the porcelain genuflection all day. Out of 650 passengers over 200 had it, and 100 crew were down. Yeah, they were wearing masks, latex gloves, handing out hand wipes, scouring EVERYTHING, and doing it all on skeleton staffs. People weren't touching banisters if they could avoid it, and victims were quarantined.

I've noticed in life, no matter WHAT precaution is suggested, there's someone who'll say you shouldn't bother because they have something or other that "proves" it isn't so. Forcing passengers re-boarding to sanitize their hands is in the ship's SELF-INTEREST! A ship is a confined enviroment and once Noro hits, it spreads like wildfire if not IMMEDIATELY contained. My wife caught it on the Dawn and she was quarantined for 24 hours (not like she felt like going anywhere).

For those of you who aren't familiar with it--if it's on a ship they call it Norwalk or Noro Virus. Most people call it the 24 hour stomach flu. It's basically the same thing, with all the unpleasant ramifications, and mutates fairly frequently so you can get it again....

Been there, done that, it ain't paranoia.

I Thought I was being more contemptuous and sarcastic than pusillanimous. But Thanks for the Mike Tyson word of the day.

Archived