USB Port

brian_uk

I think you can safely assume that the computer provided will have a USB port. I don't believe any PC/Mac manufactured in the current century will be without one.

On our recent trip I asked the photo guys whether they would download my pix onto my thumb drive via the USB drive. I was told that the USB drives are blocked for security reasons. After all, I could have a virus on my thumb drive.

They do have a valid point. Burn a DVD? Yes, but no USB drive. This was at NCL’s computer center on the Jewel. Don’t know whether O has a different policy, at least as it concerns suite PCs. If they do block the USB drive, would you still be able to use it for charging?

Food for thought.

On our first Oceania cruise (December 2004), I asked if I could connect my thumb drive to a USB port on one of their PC's. I was told that they do not allow such (for the same reasons Ask4Jay mentions).

I have heard people say the some companies plug the USB ports on their office computers with epoxy, again for the same reasons.

Here's a possible tip on how to archive your photos off-line:

Oceania (unless they have changed the procedure), provides the USB-connected gizmo into which you slip the SD card from your camera to upload to their server. I find it hard to believe they would block USB since it would disable usage of this device.

Anyway, bring an additional SD card with you and copy the photos you uploaded to the server to your second card. I know this works because it is what I did.

well i have never and am never likely to face the issue of whether there is or isn't one in an OS. However I can say with absolute certainty that on my cruise on Oceania last year I paid $20 for access to the computer training room for the whole cruise, to do exactly that - transfer pics to my USB. I could do this when there wasn't training happening, or when there was a spare seat and I didn't interrupt. After all - how could they run the training sessions such as photoshop using people's own photos that they have taken in port if they are unable to download to USB?

Brian,

We were in an OS and VS in May and downloaded all our pictures in the suite. As my husband is the editor of a publication we used our USB flash drive in on our suite during the entire 28 days with no problems. Enjoy your cruise and the Dell computer in your suite.:)

Archived