Would a tuxedo be useful?

hauntmeister

Hello, all. My fiance (soon to be wife!) are going on the Nautica 8/11 Barcelona-Athens cruise for our honeymoon.

I'll be renting a tux for the wedding, and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy one instead of rent it. Does Oceania do formal nights for dinner, or is everything "country-club casual"? Thanks!

Andy (and Trish!)

No formal nights on Oceania - all country club casual.

Should you wear a tux, you might be mistaken for the Maitre 'd!

We've been on Oceania twice, and I don't recall seeing any passengers in a tux, and very few wearing jackets. I took a sports jacket with me on both trips, but only wore it once, and felt overdressed.

I actually saw a couple in formal clothes on the Regatta this past January. Cannot image why, unless they were celebrating something special. Nobody else came even close to wearing formal clothes. Some men wore jackets, but they were in the minority.

Good advice. Thanks!

I see everybody's telling me the same thing. I'll rent rather than buy that tux ... I'm not sure when I'll ever have a chance to wear one again!

My DH has his own Tux which he's taken on our many HAL cruises..

He's not taking either a suit or his Tux on our Oceania cruise in Nov...However he is planning to take a sport jacket..

Congratulations to you both & hope you have a wonderful honeymoon & happy, healthy & prosperous life together!:) Betty

We've been on two Oceania cruise, and only saw one passenger in a tux.

I'd still recommend buying, rather than renting. On your wedding day, I'd think you'd want to look special, and I'm not sure that wearing someone else's clothes really accomplishes that. If you cruised again on a different line, you could wear that tux, and if you get a classis style, you'd have it forever.

Hauntmeister –

For Oceania I do not pack a suit or tie. Just a blue blazer, nice pants and shoes. Well – nice banded collar shirt and socks too.

Congratulations on your big day! We’ll celebrate ours for the 50th time on our next Regatta cruise.

Your decision to leave the tux in the closet is a wise one. A sport jacket is all you need...and you can probably get by with only one...makes packing light!

Believe me, you can get by without any jacket or blazer. I took one on my first two "O" cruises and never used it. On my third, I took none and never felt underdressed on any of the cruises..

No formal nights on Oceania - all country club casual.

Should you wear a tux, you might be mistaken for the Maitre 'd!

:D :D

True

You won't need your tux aboard Oceania, but you might if you find yourself sailing on another cruise line in the future. Plus it's always useful to have your own personal tux on hand for New Years Eve parties, symphony openings, and the quadrennial inaugural balls. After two or three uses, the tux has paid for itself!

I've been on two Oceania cruises. On the first one, which was the inaugural, Frank Del Rio and John Waters (O's owners) were aboard and had a Q&A and the question of formal attire was asked.

Frank said if anyone dons a tux they'll assume he's a waiter and put him to work!

To be honest, there were a few couples very formally attired and the men were in tuxes. If you and your new bride want to dress to the nines, then do it and enjoy..... just don't feel obligated to do so. Remember, it's YOUR cruise, do what makes you happy!

BTW, even if you don't bring it along, I agree with Dr. Wong. Buy a tux and have it properly fitted. It's a nice investment to have one and you'll be ready for other cruiselines that do have formal evenings.

Congrats on the wedding!

I've been on two Oceania cruises. On the first one, which was the inaugural, Frank Del Rio and John Waters (O's owners)

He is Joe Watters

I am sure John Waters whoever he is would be pleased that you made him co-owner of Oceania :D

He is Joe Watters

Oops yes. That's what I get for posting at 1:00AM.

I am sure John Waters whoever he is would be pleased that you made him co-owner of Oceania :D

Nice to know that you've never made a typo in your life. ;)

BTW, even if you don't bring it along, I agree with Dr. Wong. Buy a tux and have it properly fitted. It's a nice investment to have one and you'll be ready for other cruiselines that do have formal evenings.

Congrats on the wedding!

Thanks for the congratulations! I'm still teetering on the buy-vs-rent decision on the tux, but it's good to know that I don't need to bring it along on the honeymoon! You're right, though, it could be useful for other cruises in the future, plus New Year's Eve.

John Waters is a director of off-beat movies, e.g., "Hairspray."

And I am so looking forward to the movie of the musical coming out! What a strange trip it's been for that movie ... from movie, to stage, to movie again. I can only think of one other show that's gone that route: Little Shop of Horrors. Anything else you can think of?

Archived