Cruising on the Explorer with Kids

We've taken our kids (DS5 and DD3) on two NCL cruises previously. We'll be taking them on The Explorer this Aug. I have just a couple of questions about cruising on The Explorer with young kids.

Do any of the restaurants offer cups with lids and straws for kids? (They don't on NCL and I learned to take our own.)

Is there any charge for the self-service laundry on The Explorer? Where is the self-service laundry located?

Does Adventure Ocean have beepers available for parents? DD3 is a little leary of being without me and I'd feel more comfortable knowing the AO staff can page me, if necessary. This is the first time DD3 will be in a different age group than DS, who will be 6 by then.

Thanks for the help!

If the 3 year old isn't potty trained, he/she won't be allowed in the pool, kiddie or otherwise. (Just so you know in advance!) I can't tell you about lids for kids--may be best to brind a "sippy" cup, if needed. I do know they have straws.

You can send your dirty clothes to the ship's laundry, but you can't do it yourself. Pack accordingly. Sending a couple things isn't cost prohibitive, but having everything laundered will soon add up!

There is no self service laundry on the Explorer.

Sailed may 25th with ages ranging from 7 to 3. Excellent program. The kids loved it. You will be provided a beeper for the 3 yr. old.

Self-Service Laundry facilities are not provided onboard any Royal Caribbean International ships; however, full laundry and dry cleaning services are provided as follows:

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Men Women

Shirt/T-Shirt: $ 2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchief: $0 .75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $1.00

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Men Women

Suit: $ 7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress: $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5.00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt: $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest: $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

Thanks for all of the info.

I had thought I'd read that there was a self-service laundry facility on the Explorer. It's a good thing I know there isn't with 6 weeks until we cruise... still plenty of time to buy a few extra clothes.

DD3 is fully potty-trained so we're good there, but she sometimes decides that she "misses" me, which means that she throws a tantrum until she gets me. We've been talking about playing with her friends at Adventure Ocean without me. And DD3 will be doing a "dry run" in the form of a week at pre-school summer camp this summer.

But, for the sake of the AO counselors as much as anything, it'd be nice if they offer a beeper in case DD3 decides to throw a fit so I can come get her. If they don't have any, I may just hang around outside AO on the first day to make sure that DD settles in okay. Once she feels comfortable in her surroundings, she does fine.

Thanks for the help!

Excellent program. The kids loved it. You will be provided a beeper for the 3 yr. old.

I just saw this. Great! It relieves my mind to know that I'll be able to find out immediately if DD3 is having problems. Thanks!

Archived