14 day Sydney to Auckland questions

WeRockChalkKU

Probably either Air New Zealand or Quantas. It all depends on what line gives them the best deal. You also have United that flies from LAX. Since X hasn't had previous experience with cruising in that part of the world, it's going to be a learning experience for them. You might want to check and see what you can do on your own for airfare. We've found it cheaper to book our own flights

We are doing the Auckland to Sydney in Dec 08. It's a ways away, so we havent decided anything yet. We've considered a few options. If you are flying in economy, Air New Zealand has a "premium economy" class that costs way less than business class (but more than economy) but gives what is about the equivalent of a domestic first class seat. (They don't have first class on ANZ- just econ, premium econ, and biz). For such a long flight, we think that is a possible option for us. We have also considered Air Tahiti Nui, which flies direct to Papeete from New York, which is only a short flight from Auckland and Sydney both. You can do stopovers in Tahiti for only a few dollars a night, which is another option we are considering. Lastly, Qantas has a direct (with one stop, but same plane/flight #) from NY to Sydney. From what I read, I think I'd prefer ANZ over Qantas, but have never flown either one.

Edited to add that I believe you can request the Qantas flights or the ANZ flights you want using custom air for an additional fee- otherwise you can do it on your own or take your chances on what X is offering. With such a long flight, I'd like to have some control!

We disembark in Sydney and are using Celebrity Custom air on United non stop to LAX for our Dec 07 cruise. Since we are doing a B2B starting in Honolulu, it seemed cheaper for us to let Celebrity do the air for the two one way trips, LAX to HNL and SYD to LAX. We will find our own way to Los Angeles from Vancouver.

Thanks for the input. Right now we're looking into a February cruise - one with "free air". It does save some money over booking our own air but I too worry just a bit since it's such a long flight and would like some control over it. Celebrity does offer the custom air but according to one TA today - she said that she had just done a custom air change for Austraila and it ended up costing an extra $600 per person. IT was for two extra days in Syndney. All I want is one extra day in Auckland post cruise. Right now, Celebrity doesn't offer pre/post cruise packages and they just have to check after you get an official booking. They can't/won't tell you anything until you book.

As far as Air Tahiti Nui - we just did the LAX to Papeete flight and it was a tough one on the overnight home. So, I keep telling myself that I might not want to tackle the Auckland to LAX flight. However, Australia and NZ are calling my name!!!!

Have great cruises!!!

We will be going for the Jan 20 cruise--but leaving the US on the 16th--(to Sydney on 18th) also staying in Auckland 2 days after. We DID let Celebrity do our air--as the cheapest we found was DOUBLE what they offered...I suspect now tho that the air is higher within their packages. I DREAD the 14½ hour flight from LAX tho. Have our seats already on Qantas (although the gal at the airline said we might lose our seats seeing it is so early..wonder why they'd give them to someone else...but can't get seats for MN to LAX til early-Nov..so at same time will check again on our seats with Qantas.

Archived