September tours, Ketchikan and Juneau

lovesandiego

I am going on a Princess cruise to Alaska the middle of September, so won't want to be doing any water-type tours, but am wondering which ones to do in Ketchikan and Juneau. I am considering the Totem and Town Tour in Ketchikan, and the Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake Combo in Juneau. Does anyone have any opinions about these two tours, or suggestions about others?

We are doing the Yukon Expedition and White Pass Scenic Railway in Skagway, so that one has been decided, but would like suggestions for the other ports. Thanks.

in my opinion, one should not miss seeing the whales on a private trip in jueau. capt.larry is the best with orca tours. ketchikan has some great tours to the sexman village and totem bright. also there are lots of tours from there that go to haines and do some great things. go to ketchikan or juneau tours.com and it will bring up alot of co's and things to do. good luck and have a great time. i also want to do the rail combo from skagway. it sounds good.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

Are these ship tours?? If you want more time at Mendenhall- take the shuttle bus perhaps and return after a ranger activity or hike? The salmon bakes have a loop bus that picks up downtown. The Totems are very interesting in Ketchikan be sure to walk about the town too to see them. Nice selection out the back of the Fox Westmark- just take the funicular up and walk out the back. Consider the "Married man's trail" back down. icon_smile.gif

budget queen

a nice walk on the trails sounds real good. on a thread here i read a while back i saw the name of a tour that also threw into the city, village a free admission to dollys house. maybe i will find that again and get even more for my money. i have plenty of time to do more surfing and picking our tours.

DUSTY

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

Yes, these are ship tours. Thanks for the suggestions. I would like time to walk around some of the towns also, so hopefully the tours will allow for that. I'll also check out juneautours.com and ketchikantours.com as suggested. Thanks again

Ketchikan has a "new" tour sold on the ships that includes a visit to the Raptor Center (where you can view and learn about eagles) the salmon hatchery, the Totem Heritage Center and a visit to Dolly's house.

You can visit the same places by getting a ticket in the Visitor's Bureau on the dock. The Ketchikan Indian Corporation has a booth inside. They sell van tours that will take you to the hatchery, etc - the cost was $15.00 pp last year. From the dock, you can walk to Dolly's house (about 3 blocks away on Creek St.) and enter for $4.00 pp. This will save lots of money - and you get exactly the same tour as is sold off the ship. The personel at the Deer Mountain Hatchery/Raptor Center and the narrators at the Totem Heritage Center give all the information at those sites. Dolly's house is a canned narration - press a button and listen to a tape recording.

All, I tried looking at 'Ketchikantours.com' but got a 'not found'. Is it spelled a different way?

Thanks.

Lynn

Oceanic 1986

M.S. Seaward 9/1989

Vision of the Seas 1998

Olympic Countess 2000

Adventure of the Seas 2002

Diamond Princess 9/4/2004

lynn1

that is the right spelling. did the same for me. i think when i brought it up i just went to ketchikan or ketchikan tours and got lots of links. dont do .com with it. give it a try and good luckDUSTY

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

the combo ticket for the Hatchery and Totem heritage museum was $10 (may have gone up). This is an easy walk if so inclined. Pick up a map at the visitor center. to get a look at residential life, cont. throught the park and return downtown via Deermount.

Archived