Mediterranean on Galaxy - June '08, Your Thoughts?

ELJCruiser

Hi, first of all, thanks for this fantastic forum. I came across this site while browsing through the web, and just love it.

Anyway, my family recently came back from our first cruise and I am now hooked on cruising. We went to Alaska on Infinity and stayed in a Sky Suite. The service and the overall cruise experience was so wonderful that I am looking at booking our next vacation to Mediterranean with Celebrity again.

After a bit of research, I have narrowed down to the 11-nights on Galaxy or the 12-nights on Emerald Princess. Based on what I read from this forum, overall, Celebrity seems to be a better choice than Princess. However, I have also read mixed reviews on Galaxy - some says it is great while others say it needs a major facelift. I am wondering if anyone on this forum may have recently cruised on Galaxy and can share their experience. I am looking at the 06/09/08 sail date, and their SS with larger balcony are all booked. The only ones available on the Sky Deck are the ones with the weird shape (part of the balcony cut out) like #1225, #1228, and #1231. I am also wondering if anyone has stayed in these cabins before and can let me know the size of these cabins and balconies.

Another question for all you experienced cruisers, would a sail date of 06/09/08 be significantly better than 06/30 (to avoid the busy July season and the hotter weather)?

Also, would someone recommend Emerald Princess (as opposed to Celebrity Galaxy)? I heard that they have a better teen program (we have a 16-year-old), but I am also worried about the crowds (my husband and I are NOT party people and prefer to relax in a quiet setting).

Any inputs will be very much appreciated

ELJCruiser

I was on the Galaxy a few years ago and I had fantastic service all around. Go back to the main Celebrity board and read "Live from the Galaxy" Tom did an outstanding job reviewing the trip on his blog. I planning a surprise birthday present for my Mother, my sister and I are thinking about the June 20th sailing on the galaxy. It was unusually hot this year in Europe normally it is cool. But I think it will be okay. I will tell you that the schools in Rome get out June 13, 2008. I have been there in November and tourist were gone and it was great. But this trip is not for the cold weather. I am also thinking about going in September but the longer day lights are appealing to me. There is role call for June 9, 2008. check it out. Should you decide to go June 20th let me know.

Good luck in your decision. Next year the Galaxy is going in for a retrofit. There is a whole in the schedule from the middle of Aprile until the June 9th sailing. So if you do decide to go you will be among the first to enjoy the neew ship

Hello,

I've copied my post from May 29th below. We sailed on Galaxy on May 14 from Rome. This was just a 7 day after the ships TA from San Juan. We are not familiar with Princess, but would recommend Celebrity and the Galaxy for sure. I like the earlier May date as the weather would be hotter in Europe later, into June. My brother and his son stayed in SS 1221. We stayed in RS 1058. There are some pictures of the cabins and Galaxy here:

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/pH9Yi8xA

Take care.

Tony

from May 29th:

We just got off the May 14th sailing. Had a great time. First time in the Med. The waters were very calm.

In Athens we did the Athens Sightseeing and Acropolis. 4 hour tour. Very well done. The tour included the original Olympic Stadium and then allowed folks to depart in the downtown shopping area if they choose. The Acropolis was fantastic.

Next stop was Kusadasi Turkey. We booked The Highlights of Ephesus. We choose this as it was one of the 3-4 hour tours versus the 7 hour ones offered. Ephesus was very interesting. The Great Theatre and the Celsius Library were very neat. You also visit the Archeological Museum of Ephesus. The guide was very good. Good concise tour. The vendors at every stop were very pushy though...we thought we were in the Bahamas....

Tendered at Santorini the next day. Pick your trans method for getting up to Fira from the port. Cable car, walk or donkey! We choose the cable car! Went out on our own here. Walked, shopped, etc.... found a great restaurant for lunch overlooking the harbor. Beautiful views and food. The line for the cable car back down to the port was over an hour wait. We choose to walk down the "switchback" walkway....the locals will try to get you on a donkey...and they are EVERYWHERE. The walk down took around 20-25 minutes. Dodging the donkey piles was fun as well as walking by at least 50 donkeys.

Unfortunately in Mykonos it was raining and about 55 degrees. We choose not to leave the ship.

We did a couple nights pre-cruise in Rome and stayed at the Empire Palace. Very nice hotel, the desk staff was excellent, bellman too. The one area we would not recommend was the patio eating/drinking area at the hotel. The service was terrible and the food was poor. Live and learn here....we should have booked the room on our own directly with the hotel, instead of through Celebrity. We would have saved money.

The formal nights were very nice. Our 7 day cruse had the normal 2 nights (Tuesday and Saturday).

Hope this helps.

I have just returned from Galaxy (22/6 sailing) and I blogged the cruise here: http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/

Also there's another thread where I shamelessly advertised the blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=577842 . Several people asked questions and they are answered towards the end of that thread.

According to what I was told on board, Galaxy will have had a major refit by September 2008, so your concerns about her condition should not apply. We don't yet know the full details of what will be done to her during the refit, but one thing that seems certain is the addition of a speciality restaurant (similar to Muranos on Century). This will be a major additional feature.

We were on the 6/1/07 Galaxy and it is indeed in very poor shape.

We were in cabin 9054 and had to be moved because of 2 leaks

(scary on a boat)

The ship was running on only one prop the entire trip.

We were moved to 8188 where the occupants had to leave the ship.

It's not only that tiles are missing at the pool, stains in carpets and holes in sofas but even the towels they use in the Spa are frayed.

As far as teen programs I would have to say if you don't play bingo you are pretty much out of luck.

There is hardly any music at the pool and although the entertainment is good, it is the same every night.

I would also like to have some Italian and Greek food.

The Costa ships are so beautiful in comparison.

I think Princess for your teen, we did the Mexico and the ship was in good shape.

I also had a missing painting from my room which they are saying I left behind. I reported it missing on day 3.

The food is good but boring, the service in the dining room excellent.

Housekeeping is below par, my friend found items in her room (like dirty

diapers)

We got to Italy just in time for the one day taxi strike.

We used Vastours for the Italy at night and it was very good, 39 euros.

I would also like to recommend www.seahorsecarservice.com, info@seahorsecarservice.com, driver Gabriele for Naples.

340 euros for six all day. Your teen will enjoy this trip.

The service at the front desk was also terrible. Some passengers

who wanted to depart the ship early for a tour were denied.

We were scheduled for 5:30 and didn't get off until 6:30.

If you have any questions on tours email me at conley0601@aol.com

(scary on a boat)

It's not only that tiles are missing at the pool, stains in carpets and holes in sofas but even the towels they use in the Spa are frayed.

As far as teen programs I would have to say if you don't play bingo you are pretty much out of luck.

There is hardly any music at the pool and although the entertainment is good, it is the same every night.

The Costa ships are so beautiful in comparison.

I think Princess for your teen, we did the Mexico and the ship was in good shape.

I also had a missing painting from my room which they are saying I left behind. I reported it missing on day 3.

The food is good but boring, the service in the dining room excellent.

Housekeeping is below par, my friend found items in her room (like dirty

diapers)

We got to Italy just in time for the one day taxi strike.

We used Vastours for the Italy at night and it was very good, 39 euros.

I would also like to recommend www.seahorsecarservice.com, info@seahorsecarservice.com, driver Gabriele for Naples.

340 euros for six all day. Your teen will enjoy this trip.

The service at the front desk was also terrible. Some passengers

who wanted to depart the ship early for a tour were denied.

We were scheduled for 5:30 and didn't get off until 6:30.

If you have any questions on tours email me at conley0601@aol.com

azzy,

Were they able to determine where the leaks were coming from?

We are sailing on Galaxy July 23/07 and are in #9041 which is close to where you were.

Additionally, did you find out why was the ship limited to one prop?

Thanks in advance.

(scary on a boat)

I can't comment on the leaks, but I will comment on other points.

First, whatever happened in January there were certainly two propellers in use last week! - I have photos of the wake that show this.

Second, there were no tiles missing in the pool nor round it. And nowhere did I see any stains in carpets or holes in furniture.

And as for wanting Italian food - well, on the Mediterranean cruises there is always a pasta main course, and often Italian-esque appetizers or soup as well.

Perhaps there is a different menu in winter when she is operating out of San Juan?

Sailed the same Galaxy itin Last Sept 06, sailed Princess Star Jan 07.

If the ship itself is in the equation, IMO, Princess wins hands down. Though I think you hardly spend time on the ship in Europe, the fact that the Emerald is a much newer ship, has 24 Hrs pool n hot tub, etc, it wins.

That said, IMO the shape of the galaxy is overblown. While most noticable on the pool deck, most of the carpets and beds have already been changed. However, I think your 16 year old will enjoy the newer ship.

If the suite is in the equation, Princess also wins hands down. The Princess caribe PH mid ship suite balcony will be 4 times larger, half shaded, half in sun. It's also larger. Same price. True, there's no butler.

Food, though I'll get flamed here, is EVEN. Princess has more choice, more seafood choice(s). IMO, X very slightly higher quality on deserts.

Service, hands down X wins. Princess does not have wine service at dinner.

I've also sailed the Millie and Connie, and enjoyed the food and ambiance of the Star (Princess) just as much. I assume the Emerald will match up.

I know the likes of Berlitz will rate the galaxy much higher than the Emerald, but I strongly believe these rating are based on those seeking a more traditional form of cruising. Having now sailed Princess, I would rate them on an equal level of that of HAL and X.

It's a Premuim cruise-line, especially on the suite-level and above...

JC

Toronto

Expedition Sept 07

Star Jan 07

Galalxy Set 06

I can't comment on the leaks, but I will comment on other points.

First, whatever happened in January there were certainly two propellers in use last week! - I have photos of the wake that show this.

Second, there were no tiles missing in the pool nor round it. And nowhere did I see any stains in carpets or holes in furniture.

And as for wanting Italian food - well, on the Mediterranean cruises there is always a pasta main course, and often Italian-esque appetizers or soup as well.

Perhaps there is a different menu in winter when she is operating out of San Juan?

tom_uk,

Thanks for the additional and up to date information on Galaxy.

Our cruise mates will be relieved when I relay the information to them.

It's hard to sort through all of the positive and negative feedback on Galaxy but your live reports certainly helped a great deal.

Re Azzy Comments

I too was on the 6/1/07 Galaxy sailing but do not recognise any of Azzy's comments although cannot comment on leaks in room. The ship was definitely not sailing on only one prop as you could see this from the wake and on several occasions we were very early into port. The reason for the 6;30 landing rather than 5:30 was that Disney Magic had a problem and was blocking the dock. They had to wait for the Magic to be moved before they could dock. I was also on the Galaxy 3 years ago and there have been numerous improvements since then including carpets,funiture and bedding in our cabin on Vista deck. The decking around the pools has been replaced and whilst we were on the cruise they finished off replacing the final bit of carpet in the buffet area. The only fault to complain about is that some of the windows in the Stratosphere are still misted up.

The entertainment in the theatre was different every night and really good on most nights although there was a solo male singer we were not keen on.

The food was typical good quality Celebrity food which still seems to have the excellent Roux influence. Again, from our experience the housekeeping was excellent with the room being immaculate all the time.

As I said, it seems like a different cruise to me but I would be back on the Galaxy tomorrow given the chance.

I returned from a June 11 Eastern Med sailing a few days ago and would absolutely sail the Galaxy again - I found it a lovely ship and the service was flawless, including housekeeping. Our room was pristine every day.

I have a few photos of life on board if you can weed through the ones of us dressed for dinner ;)

ELJCruiser, we are planning a Galaxy 11-night Med cruise for June '09 (and 5-day land tour to Italy) and have told our TA to let us know as soon as the booking starts, which should be in less than two months. If you want to go next year, BOOK NOW before it's too late. I know it seems early, but European cruises book up fast. We sailed Jewel last June to the Brit. Isles/Nor Fjords and booked it 13 mos ahead, in the first month . We booked Mercury to Aust/NZ last Jan. for next Jan. and there weren't a lot of OV cabins left. The verandas and suites had booked up in Nov.

We sailed Galaxy to the Panama Canal in 2/05 and loved the ship, staff, food, shows--everything. After all it IS Celebrity. The friends we are sailing the Med with sailed Galaxy last winter to the S. Carib and also had a wonderful experience. I hate the thought of waiting 16 mos again between cruises and am going to try to talk DH into doing a Galaxy Carib. cruise in winter '09. Compared to the Jewel cruise, Merc Aust/NZ and the Galaxy Med., the Carib is so much cheaper and he won't have such sticker shock. :eek:

You will really like Galaxy.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ + extra days in Sydney and Aukland

6/09 Galaxy E. Med cruise/tour --soon to be booked

Hi All,

Thank you so much for taking the time and provide your inputs. I appreciate it.

Based on everyone's comments, it doesn't look like there is anything I should be concerned about Galaxy (it seems to be in good shape based on comments from folks who very recently sailed on that ship and the fact that it is due for a major rennovation next April). This is great to know because we do like the service from Celebrity.

With the question on the shape of Galaxy out of the way, my next question is the timing of the sail. They have two sail dates for their 11-night Mediterranean itinerary (06/09 and 06/30). We want to go for the 06/09 date, but all of the SS with bigger balcony on the Sky Deck is booked, and the only ones left their are the ones with the weird shape (like #1225, #1228, and #1231). Does anyone know if they are significantly smaller?

Our other alternative with Galaxy is their 06/30 sailing, but I am concerned about the hot weather in July. Tom, I read your blog (thanks for the GREAT info), and it looks like it was VERY hot during your trip. Since you went to the same itinerary last year but in early June, would you say the weather is much better to go in early June than in late June/July timeframe?

By the way, I know they have a 06/20 sail date on Galaxy for 10-nights (tcocktail, I think this is the one you are thinking of booking). However, if I am not mistaken, this one does not include Istanbul as their itinerary. From what I heard, Istanbul is one of the ports that are not to be missed if we are going to the Med. Has anyone been there and can share some of their thoughts?

Wilcoam, thanks for your balanced review of both Celebrity and Princess. I appreciate it. Looks like Emerald Princess may still be an option (and esp. with our 16-year in mind) and your feedbacks help put my mind at ease.

I know I have to make up my mind soon :D Kathie44, you are so right, in that I need to make my booking NOW (as I found out about the unavailability of some of the better suites on the 06/09 Galaxy sail :(). Any feedbacks you can provide to my additional questions would be greatly appreciated so we can make our final decision. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Our other alternative with Galaxy is their 06/30 sailing, but I am concerned about the hot weather in July. Tom, I read your blog (thanks for the GREAT info), and it looks like it was VERY hot during your trip. Since you went to the same itinerary last year but in early June, would you say the weather is much better to go in early June than in late June/July timeframe?

It is a bit of a gamble. Last June (early June, I have to say) was more typical - warm, sometimes very warm, but not overpoweringly so. This June has been untypically hot - I got tired of hearing tour guides saying "This is the hottest day of the year so far/this is the hottest June for 20 years.... Aren't you lucky?" err - no! So a it's lottery, although as you get into July it is likely to be hotter than June, of course.

But as I've said before, I love the longer, lighter evenings, and for me that always swings it over September/October.

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the quick reply on the question re: weather in the Med. I appreciate it.

I am still hoping someone can help me with the question on the size of the balcony on Sky Deck on Galaxy - the ones with the weird shape like #1225, #1228, and #1231. Just wondering how big they are and if they are significantly smaller than the others. Thanks.

We're on the June 9th sailing......been booked for quite a while now.

Just checked and can't believe how much the price has gone up:confused: .

Anyway we are looking forward to this, and hopefully expecting no problems, as it looks like this will be the FIRST trip after the drydock.

I've started a roll call so if you choose this trip c'mon over and join.

Dave:eek:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note about the Roll Call on the 06/07/08 sailing. I just went to the Roll Call site but for some reasons couldn't find the listing for this sailing (may be I am going blind due to reading too much on this forum!). Can you post a link here so I can find it? Thanks.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note about the Roll Call on the 06/07/08 sailing. I just went to the Roll Call site but for some reasons couldn't find the listing for this sailing (may be I am going blind due to reading too much on this forum!). Can you post a link here so I can find it? Thanks.

I think it is 6/9/08, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585431

good luck

Hi Dave/tcocktail,

Thanks for the reposting of the roll call and the link. I am hoping to make our decision this weekend (I have to talk to my husband first). I am just wondering for a Med. cruise, would it be better to book a cabin on the port or starboard side (or it really doesn't matter - like cruising the Inside Passage)? Anyone who have done this (or similar) itninerary before, I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Hi Dave/tcocktail,

Thanks for the reposting of the roll call and the link. I am hoping to make our decision this weekend (I have to talk to my husband first). I am just wondering for a Med. cruise, would it be better to book a cabin on the port or starboard side (or it really doesn't matter - like cruising the Inside Passage)? Anyone who have done this (or similar) itninerary before, I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

We've done both - 8086 in 2006, 8103 this year - and it didn't seem to make any real difference. On both cruises there were times when we enjoyed the view, and on both cruises there were times when we wished we were on the other side!

ELJCruiser, we are planning a Galaxy 11-night Med cruise for June '09 (and 5-day land tour to Italy) and have told our TA to let us know as soon as the booking starts, which should be in less than two months.

We also are planning a June '09 cruise with a group of CC friends. We are looking at three different ships on three different cruise lines, including Celebrity. You said that the June '09 itineraries will be out in two months? I know that RCI released their '08 itineraries in late March of this year! Is there really such a difference between when the itineraries are released?:confused:

I'd suggest booking sooner rather than later. We are booked already for Nov '08 on Galaxy E Medit. The choice cabins go quickly & of course the price usually (but not always) goes up! Hoping to book for April 09-British Isles on Constellation (if offered) - Does anyone know when those dates may be open?--only ones that far out right now are for Solstice.

Right now the prices are going up.

We booked a 2A at 2699 per person and I just checked they are up to 3099 right now......400.00 is a lot of cocktails. or casino chips:D

Dave:eek:

I can assure you there are many tiles missing at the pool deck on the

Galaxy. Our last cruise was on Costa Magica so in comparison the Galaxy was very worn.

The sinks had stains etc.

The leak in cabin 9054 appeared to come from the toliet but there was another leak in the hall. They shut the water off on the floor for a few hours and I guess it was fixed.

As far as the prop there were many people who were in the back of the boat wanting to sleep in the lobby.

Archived