We need new luggage, Help!!

harrynterry

For those of us with arthritic hands and wrists, I went out and bought Skyway no weights. The 29" weighs in just under 12 lbs. Both of us have the two ultra no weights and really like them. Very roomy. We also carry a small carry on of the Skyway brand. I also looked at Travelpro but the 15lbs for the 29" was just a bit too heavy for me. The two pieces have travelled very well for just over a $100 a piece. I did my research on line comparing prices and weights before I purchased from Packinglight.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I got my best price on Travelpro Crew 6 at LuggagePros.com. Bought new everything in "Cinnamon" avoiding the black. (I was getting tired of black anyway) After going to Macy's sale I was able to beat the prices by quite a bit online with free delivery. It should arrive 7/16. I am very excited, we will try it out on a car trip for a week the first week of August.

There is always alot of help help here!

Congratulations! I think you will be very happy with Travelpro. My brother has been in the luggage business for about 20 years and he recommends Travelpro above all the rest. According to his expertise, he says to stay completely away from Samsonite Spinners luggage. He has never seen luggage come back for repair as much as the SS. I was thinking about purchasing this luggage and he told me to run, not walk away from this luggage. I trust him as he knows his stuff and I'm sticking with Travelpro.

My wife and I recently went to Boston and drove to Niagara falls for a week in June. We stopped at Waterloo Outlets in NY and visited the Samsonite store since most of our luggage was a few years old. Earlier this year, my wife had bought a 4 wheeled bag set from the Navy Exchange on the base here - don't remember the brand name - but after a few weeks, the wheels seemed to become uneven and the bag started to tilt.

We picked up 2 large 4 wheeled suitcases, 1 medium 4 wheelee, 1 small carry on 4 wheelee and a tote bag - all Samsonite and all for $500. They were running a sale at the time of 50% of a 2nd bag of equal value and together with the 15% off coupon from our savings book we downloaded from the net, I know we saved a grunch of bucks.

We've only used the large pieces coming home to Japan from back in the Continental U.S. but I have taken a LOT of small business trips in Japan and other countries here and the small carry on fits all types of planes, A320's, A321, A330', 737-300's, 737-500's and larger planes (767, 777, etc). I'm really glad that I got the 4 wheeled bag.

One side note for those that may want to know, Samsonite has a 4 wheeled computer bag that fits 15" screens now. For those with larger screens, they don't have a bag now but will be out later this year from what the Samsonite store rep told me.

Hope this helps...

• 1 month later...

Maybe this post is too late, but have you looked at ebags dot com? they have suitcases called Mother Lode.

Comes in a variety of sizes. what I love is that there is a bottom zip compartment that works great to keep shoes and toiletries etc apart from clothes.

These bags pull easily, not the spinner type, but "follow" well when you are walking. They also sit on end w/out falling over. Very sturdy bags w/ lots of mesh compartments and velcro adjustable dividers.

The larger ones are easy to overpack tho, they hold sooooooo much! You'll want to weigh them before you leave home if you are flying. Good luck!

I have this 10 year old Tumi bag that I found at a yard sale for 5.00. It just will not die. I would be hard put to pay the new price for one. Our Eagle Creek bags do very well and have been bought at closeout sales.

Duffles are easy to pack but they wheel about rather poorly and will hardly standup on their own.

I'll add a second vote for Ricardo with a little more specifics. To my knowledge, Ricardo Beverly Hills is the only luggage with a built-in scale. If (like me) you have a tendency to overpack your bags and get dangerously close (if not over) the 50 pound limit, you will LOVE having the built in scale. Plus they have vibrant colors, are light weight, and have other cool features.

Check online for various discount luggage sites. You will get the same exact product, but save money over retail. Most also offer free shipping.

I've been using Ricardo luggage for many years. Yes, they have a series with built-in scale.....very handy. Also, there is a series of bags that are significantly lighter than many.....mine is Del Mar Lite, about 20% lighter. Many Ricardo bags have a second slim top compartment with separate opening zipper and fitted with hanger grabber and built in folding straps.....great for suits and in the larger bags, just right for keeping the formal wear all together. Ricardo bags are equipped with "piggy back" fittings so 2 or more bags can be strapped together and roll as one. My luggage is black and I use a brightly colored strap around the handles for easy identification even at a distance.

I also have a Ricardo which I love and has an extra zippered compartment to hang formal attire, dresses, etc. It had a matching carry on but I opted for the same colour made by Swiss Army, very roomy with 2 side pockets and was discontinued. It was marked $74.99 and I got it for $4.99. My Mom and sister who will be with us on our January cruise each bought one as well. At that price I wouldn't care if it lasted for one cruise but I've had multiple uses out of it. I found it at a luggage discount outlet in Ontario.

I vote for Ricardo...Used it on the last cruise, Has an extra place to place formal atire. Made well, was so impressed. I went out and got another one so my husband and I do do fight over the piece. Really loved the design. I even bought the everything bag for my carry on. That I have used twice its a very nice addition;) Hope this helps

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help to my question! The set I am replacing is Samsonite and we spent about $1,000 on 5 pieces. I take 4 suitcases and a carryon when we cruise. 2 medium and 2 larger pieces for clothes & shoes, carryon for tolietries & medicine. Those and the carryon must all have wheels! I have not developed the truly packing light style some develop. Plus I am on the "fluffy" side and my DH is not a tiny guy so my clothes take up a bit more room. Besides, I like "choices". (Not as many as I used to, but at least a couple of alternative outfits). I was reading about Travelpro and they also make Atlantic. I will so some online checking and see what bargains I can come up with. I can appreciate both sides of this subject, quality vs more disposable. Last time quality lasted for 11 cruises and multiple business and personal flights each year plus the car trips. (Both kids & their family live out of state). I will just have to browse for a bargain and see what I can come up with. I am sure this tread will benefit lots of people, so thanks for all who have contributed. If anyone else has a thought please jump in!!

"Fluffy Side" I love that! Can I use it - describes me perfectly!

Thanks for asking this question. I was just at the Macy's Labor Day Sale yesterday looking at luggage and getting confused...many good suggestions.

Esmo

Our luggage store in the mall has the lowest prices on TravelPro all the time. Ours are sort of a beige with a slight greenish tinge.

Does everyone know that duct tape comes in colors and you can buy it as Walmart for $2.49 a roll?

When you're claiming your luggage after you get off the ship it's all packed so tightly together that you need something eye-catching at the top. I use an orange nylon scrubbie.

Maybe this post is too late, but have you looked at ebags dot com? they have suitcases called Mother Lode.

Comes in a variety of sizes. what I love is that there is a bottom zip compartment that works great to keep shoes and toiletries etc apart from clothes.

These bags pull easily, not the spinner type, but "follow" well when you are walking. They also sit on end w/out falling over. Very sturdy bags w/ lots of mesh compartments and velcro adjustable dividers.

The larger ones are easy to overpack tho, they hold sooooooo much! You'll want to weigh them before you leave home if you are flying. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, We have already purchased Travel Pro from luggage.com and love it. We have already made 2 trips with it and have been very pleased. This will be the first cruise with it and can't wait to go!!

The last set lasted 10 years, if this does as well it will be a winner!!!

I bought my Ricardo at the Bay store in Canada several years ago at 60% off plus an additional 15% (save gst and pst) if you used your dept. store card. I also bought my daughter who travels for business a set for Xmas. It still looks brand new. I put a huge hot pink flamingo luggage tag on it and can spot it from afar.

Ricardo Beverly Hills gets my vote. Great looking and very well constructed luggage. I have the built-in scales and they also came with bonus cosmetic and laundry bag. I'm truly satisfied with this luggage.

I had a rolling duffle bag, but hauling that thing chuck-full was like trying to take a St Bernard for a walk. It was totally in charge ME, not the other way around. I could never get it to stand up, I *always* had to be holding it or it tipped over. Does anyone have better luck? Because duffles are lightweight and carry a ton (and inexpensive) so if they behaved themselves, they'd be great!

ROTFL !!! You are so funny! And it is so TRUE !!!

Archived