Crossing from Mainland

pwandersen

I've been on eight cruises and have found the sailing fine when we're relatively close to shore and hopping overnight from one port to the next. But when the ship is steaming up the coast at top speed for two or three days in the open ocean, the going gets a bit more rocky. How has your experience been sailing between the West Coast and Hawaii?

I don't have any experience with that, but I believe that the shortest crossing time is 3-1/2 to 4 days. Most seem to include at least 4 days each way. Some ships take a full 5 days for the crossing. So, you will definitely need to keep that in mind when considering if this is the right cruise for you.

Don't mean to rain on your parade or anything. If you decide you can handle it and if you enjoy lots of sea days, then it may be the right type of cruise for you.

beachchick

We sailed R/T out of Los Angeles to Hawaii. The first day and 1/2 was on the cooler side and a bit choppy. After that the sea became calmer and the temperatures started to warm up. But every cruise is different given changes in weather/sea conditions.

It's a great way to get to and from Hawaii.

Keith

we cruised in april from san diego to hawaii and the water was calm..

im sure the stabilizers were all the way out,, coming back the winds were crazy, but the ride was still smooth,,

ive never been on a smoother sailing...

and all the sea days are relaxing , they werent always warm, but it was the best cruise weve been on,,

melissa

Out of 3 crossings we've done, 2 were rough, few people out on deck, but the 3rd was perfect, clear skies, nice warm sunny days and smooth water the entire way.

These were all one way crossings in Oct and Nov.

We went the last week in Jan/first week in Feb. Going over, the first 2 1/2 days were the roughest I've ever spent at sea and I've been in some pretty wicked weather. They had to close the pools due to the rough seas. I take Bonine so it didn't bother me although it was sometimes difficult to walk in the hallways...and I avoided stairs at all costs on those days. Coming home, it wasn't nearly as bad.

From what I've read, Oct seems to have better seas. If I were to ever go again, I would do it in Oct. However, it was not a trip that I would want to repeat. I'm opting for land trips to Hawaii in the future because I want to spend more time on the islands.

We did the 15 night R/T Hawaii from L.A. 3 years ago in September and it was calm both ways. We're doing the same cruise this September. If you go in the winter, from what I've read, the seas are rougher. Great cruise.

Susan

Time of year and departure port as well as size and age of the ship you are traveling on all play a role~going out of San Fran you go thru the "potato patch" which is almost always rough for the 1 day or so:o whereas out of San Diego, well not so much. Winter has more potential for rough seas and storms. Larger-newer ships have better stabilizers. FYI the best seat in the house (to feel the least amount of movement) is a cabin located Midships and down about 5-7 decks. We are booked for a xmas\new year 15 day and am not worried in the least. When I travel with the kids or friends that tend to get queasy, the first night I give them all Bonine and off to bed early. By the next day there are usually no problems. Enjoy!

Archived