Please help me choose an OV cabin on Statendam

Rina's Mom

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are considering a September Alaska cruise on the Statendam and I have a couple of questions about the OV cabins. Our only experience on HAL was the Noordam in a balcony cabin last fall.

If we get an OV on the Lower Promenade deck, am I correct in thinking that even if it's not obstructed by a lifeboat, people will be walking by? Won't it be difficult if not impossible to actually use the window and still maintain privacy? Are there deck chairs on the Lower Promenade deck? Wouldn't we be better off on the Main deck?

Thanks a lot,

Barb

Lower Promenade cabins on the S-class (and R-class) ships are not blocked by the lifeboats. The windows are coated so people cannot see in during the daytime; at night you should keep your draperies closed. Yes, you will see people walking by---maybe even trying to look in!---but they don't typically block your view.

There are deck chairs just a few steps from your cabin. You could think of it as having the largest veranda on the ship!

The only down-side to outside cabins on Lower Promenade (IMHO) is that they are smaller than the outsides on Main Deck. I suppose an additional advantage of Main Deck over Lower Promenade is that the window looks directly out on the water.

In either case you really cannot go wrong.

Have a great time in The Great Land. :)

Thanks RuthC!

I hadn't thought about having the "largest verandah on the ship." That's something to think about. That ability to walk all the way around the ship is one of the things I really liked when we were on the Noordam.

My mistake on the lifeboats--I had forgotten that the lifeboats hang outside the upper promenade deck public rooms. I wonder what is obstructing the "partially" and "fully obstructed" cabins? Doesn't really matter, because we'll probably be on the Main Deck anyway!

Thanks again,

Barb

I wonder what is obstructing the "partially" and "fully obstructed" cabins?
Steel walls. See the areas forward and aft of the open railings. (This is obviously the Veendam' date=' which is identical to the Statendam.)

We chose a partially obstructed cabin on the L.P. because we wanted easy, quick access to an outside deck and did not want to be [u']under[/u] the promenade walkers ... some of whom are almost joggers. :(

Seeing in to those cabins is still very difficult at night because the lights on the deck are quite bright. The cabin steward always closes the drapes while you're at dinner anyway.

We don't like being on Promenade Deck because you can't see directly into the water & are looking at people walking or sitting outside your window..The advantage to being on Promenade is you don't have far to walk to get a deck chair..;)

We book either an outside on Dolphin or Main Deck only because we enjoy looking directly out on the water & are interested in seeing what is going on in port early in the a.m...We're nosy!;)

We've had many outside cabins on Main Deck & have never heard walkers at 6:a.m.. Just checked the programs for our Westerdam trip & the walk a mile started at 7:30..On all the ships we've been on the walk a mile groups have never started before 7: a.m..My friend & I try to get out there exactly at 7: a.m. to beat the crowd as our DH's want to go to breakfast by 8...LOL

Enjoy your cruise..:) Betty

Archived