Roadtrip out of Skagway

bobbie_81348

Reading this board has really peaked my interest in renting a car in Skagway instead of taking the train. I have been doing some research on the trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake. I am not finding enough definite info to present to my hubby to see if this might be the way to go. What highway do you take out of Skagway, and where is Emerald lake along the way? Is the lake anywhere near Carcross? Goggle Earth was not showing the lake and either Google, Mapquest or somewhere I was would not even bring up Carcross. Can someone give me a quick route and points along the way and time frame we are talking about. We just want to see all of the beautiful scenery of Alaska we can see. Thank you so much for any help.

Here is a link to Yukon's mile-by-mile guide: http://explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Emerald Lake is about 8 miles past the turnoff to Carcross. The drive is very easy and scenic. The train trip is good, especially for historic reasons. (I work for a major railroad and I understand the fascination with the "steel road".) However, not all my travel companions share my obsession. :) Renting a car and driving up past Carcross is an economical alternative, esp. with Yukon's guide in hand. I've done both, and have a car reserved for my September trip.

Thank you so much for the link. I have been reading eveything the site had to offer. It is so exciting. One more question, going to Emerald Lake I am sure we would stop every opportunity. Do you have an estimate of the time the trip takes? I am sure going up would be a lot longer than coming back. Again thanks for the link.

Only one road, the Klondike Highway. 75 miles to Emerald Lake, allow 4-5 hours for the round trip. IF going this year, check AVIS availability NOW and book it. Cancel if you change your plans later.

We drove the trip about three weeks ago. It took us about 6 and a half hours, including stopping at Spirit Lake Lodge to eat. We also stopped and took photos at every opportunity. The scenery is fantastic. Emerald Lake is very beautiful. If you plan to go this year, I agree with Budget Queen, check availability at Avis NOW. The vehicles go pretty fast. We made our reservations almost 7 months ahead of time. Some helpful hints:

The Avis office is not on 2nd Street as the Avis paper work told us. It is on 3rd Street.

Wear jeans are some other clothing that you do not mind getting muddy. Parts of the Klondike highway are gravel and the rental cars get VERY dirty. My wife and I got the backs of our jeans covered in mud just getting in and out of the car.

Go to the bathroom before you leave Skagway. There are two outhouses on the way to Emerald Lake. If you have to stop, they are quite adequate, but make sure and bring some liquid hand sanitizer, or you will wind up washing your hands in a very COLD nearby stream when you are done.

Other than that, the drive is well worth it. You and your husband will enjoy t immensely.

Have fun,

Fred

We recently rented the car and did the drive to the Yukon. It was fantastic! All of the above suggestions are right on. Yep, we got the back of our jeans dirty too! If you are aware and careful getting out, it can be avoided, but we didn't even think of it till it was too late. If you have your own local Entertainment book, there is a coupon in there for Avis that can be used nationwide for a better deal at Avis. The Avis office is located across the street from the hotel (I think it was Westmark?). The office is in the front of what appeared to be an apartment complex. We got there shortly before they opened at 8AM and the line formed quickly behind us.

We did the trip june 10. We rented Avis way ahead of the trip to

insure we had a vehicle. The trip was amazing. Plenty areas to

pull over and take pictures. Emerald Lake was the most beautiful

lake I have ever seen. The colors are beautiful. We went a few miles

farther than the lake and turned around. The lake is a good point to head

back. You get hands on experence when you drive yourself.

Our ship left port at 4:30, so we had to hurry back. We spent 6 hours

on the trip. Wish we could have spent 10. Dont take a picture of

the canadian border police. They will take your camera and delete

the entire chip. Dont get out of your vehicle. Dont joke with them,

just do your business and go. It is a trip of a lifetime. Have fun.

Thank you so much for all the helpful information. We are getting excited about the prospect of doing this ourselves. We are from the east coast and have driven to the west coast on two different occasions, taking two weeks each time to visit places and loved it, so this is right up our alley. Thanks for the info on the border police, silly me would have taken a picture, I take pictures of everything.

We did the trip june 10. We rented Avis way ahead of the trip to

insure we had a vehicle. The trip was amazing. Plenty areas to

pull over and take pictures. Emerald Lake was the most beautiful

lake I have ever seen. The colors are beautiful. We went a few miles

farther than the lake and turned around. The lake is a good point to head

back. You get hands on experence when you drive yourself.

Our ship left port at 4:30, so we had to hurry back. We spent 6 hours

on the trip. Wish we could have spent 10. Dont take a picture of

the canadian border police. They will take your camera and delete

the entire chip. Dont get out of your vehicle. Dont joke with them,

just do your business and go. It is a trip of a lifetime. Have fun.

I noticed you were from the "bayou". We live above Hammond now but my husband is originally from Morgan City area and I'm from Houma area originally.

what are the chances of getting a van in Avis? I called them, but they haven't started booking for next year yet.

When we booked last year, they did not show any vans available. So we reserved two cars. But when we got there, they had a van so we switched to that. It seems to be sort of chancy.

We loved the drive to Emerald Lake, and on the way back stopped at Caribou Crossing for the museum, dog musher's camp and cart ride, and ATV expedition! It is a high point of the trip. Here is their website:

http://cariboucrossing.ca

Check out our trip report and pictures at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived