Dos and Don'ts

Congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

And the best place to get advice is from your OB/GYN.

Royal Caribbean - January 13, 2008 (countdown has begun)

Norwegian SUN - January 2007

Carnival Conquest - September 2005

What did your doctor say about going in the ocean? Did your doctor know that RCI has salt water pools? The most common ailments of swimming, ear infections, happen more frequently in chlorinated pools than in salt water environments. Actually I scuba dive and have never gotten an ear infection from Salt water, but have from chlorinated pools. The fact that RCI pools are salt water is good in this regard.

Now with that said, I would follow the instructions of your doctor with the following caveat.

While there are many excellent doctors out there, there are also some that are not so excellent. Keep in mind that someone who graduates from medical school at the bottom of their class is still called "Doctor". It is always best to use good judgment in making any and all decisions regarding you and your family's health. This includes as thorough research that can be done on any advice provided by your doctors (with reputable sources). Posters on CC are not reputable sources in this regard, me included.

BTW, I am NOT a doctor but merely sharing information gained from personal experiences.

I think his advice had more to do with the bacteria in public pools rather than getting ear infections, etc. I am going to see him next week so I'll mention that it's salt water. I never go in the main pool anyway and I think I'll be fine if I stick to the adult pool.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but does anyone know if sitting with my legs in the hot tub would be okay or is it no hot tubs at all?

(of course I would double check with my doctor but if it's a stupid question then I dont' want to ask him).

I think his advice had more to do with the bacteria in public pools rather than getting ear infections, etc. I am going to see him next week so I'll mention that it's salt water. I never go in the main pool anyway and I think I'll be fine if I stick to the adult pool.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but does anyone know if sitting with my legs in the hot tub would be okay or is it no hot tubs at all?

(of course I would double check with my doctor but if it's a stupid question then I dont' want to ask him).

Legs only in a hot tub are fine. Dont immerse your belly in a hot tub as you will overheat (boil) the baby.

I snorkeled in St. John, no problem!

No drinking in your first trimester (that's when the internal organs are developing!)

Thank you so much to everyone for your advice. BTW, I'm only about 7 weeks pregnant so I definitely won't be popping another passenger out while I'm on the boat. I had heard about the hot tub, but my understanding was that you could get in but shouldn't stay in longer than 10 minutes. I had book the Adventure Park excursion in Cozumel and had to cancel that one once I found out I was pregnant. I'll still be doing my favorite thing ever though, snorkeling.

CONGRATS ON BEING PREGNANT. I thought I was going to have to worry about being pregnant on the cruise but turns out I wasn't. Just go and have a great time and enjoy the time with your husband! As the mother of a 5 year old; this will the most relaxation you get in a LONG LONG time!

But it's so worth it! :p

Congratulations!!!

I am pregnant and just returned from our cruise less than 2 weeks ago. I agree with everyone else about staying hydrated, eating meat that's fully cooked, avoid the lunchmeat (due to the possibility of listeria).....but I would also say take the time to take a nap! I snoozed each day for about an hour or two. Nice way to spend time with the hubby and catch up on your rest.

I'd check with your doctor about the hot tub. It's my understanding that you shouldn't be in it at all while pregnant....rather than up to 10 minutes.

Also check with your doctor, but mine told me that I could take Drammamine if needed. Fortunately it wasn't.....but just in case!

Have fun!

Archived