Dos and Don'ts

Don't go if you are over 20 weeks. wqe had a lady on our cruise who gave birth at 25 weeks and had to be taken off the ship when it diverted.

Did they charge her for an additional passenger once it popped out?

Well, I think the very best way to do it is to .....

WAIT, WAIT!!

Oh, you said BEING pregnant on a cruise --

Not GETTING pregnant on a cruise.

Oh, well, I'll save that advice for some other post ...

>:-)

Funny one there, Mike!!!!:D:D

My DIL is pregnant for the 7/15/07 sailling of Rhapsody. Though she is JUST that way....Hope that we will not be cabin bound by nausea!

Check with your OB/GYN to see if you can take any motion sickness medication, just in case.

Also, don't plan any strenuous excursions. I wouldn't go hiking, biking, etc... Stick to spending days at the beach (which is what you're mostly stuck to once you have kids) and you'll enjoy yourself more.

Keep and eye on what you're eating. Try to eat healthy for your baby and don't overindulge too much (or you'll really pack on the pounds).

Enjoy your trip!

I cruised when 4 months pregnant with my first child and had no problems. It was great having that special time with my husband before the baby's arrival and I had a wonderful time doing my favorite things--eating, sleeping, lying on the beach, and eating some more! :)

My one suggestion would be that if you are going ashore in places where the water isn't always safe (like Mexico), make sure you stay away from the water, ice, and raw veggies/unpeeled fruits. It's never fun to catch an intestinal bug but even worse when you've got a little baby depending on you for their nourishment.

Congratulations and have a great cruise!

Do ask your cabin steward for extra pillows or whatever you need to sleep comfortably (other than a separate cabin for snoring husbands, they are pretty accommodating).

If you are in the morning sickness phase, don't expect the line to have your favorite remedy. Pack the saltines yourself - they may be able to accomodate you, but I wouldn't risk it.

Don't eat the raw seafood and any high mercury laden fish.

Check the seals on your bottled water/soda in ports...make sure it is SEALED and not just refilled

Careful eating any lunchmeats (as in the deli) while you are onboard. Lunchmeat harbors listeria which is bad for preggo moms...you would have to heat the lunchmeat before you eat it. And you wouldn't get to do that on a cruiseship/

No dolphin encounters. If you are pregnant, the tour operator won't allow you to participate.

No jet skiing...lol ;)

DO have a great time, relax, eat a whole bunch and prepare for some sleepless nights.

Do remember to stay HYDRATED! Dehydration will cause miscarriage!

DH and I traveled when I was 23 weeks pregnant and we brought two 1 gallon water bottles and a few smaller bottles that I kept refilling the entire time we cruised. Make sure you drink water!

Personally, I had a half a glass of Merlot every night.... My way to not feel completely left out and it became a special quiet/relaxation time on the balcony for DH and I. (I stored the leftovers in the fridge for the next night)

My avitar is DS, the same one whom I was pregnant with on the cruise.

Happy, healthy, laid back, no colic & GREAT sleeper!

Relax and enjoy yourself!

Thanks for posting this. I am 2 months pregnant and we leave on AOS on August 5th.

I knew that drinking and parasailing was out but I guess everything else is okay.

Oh, no hot tubs!

And my doctor said to stay out of public pools - too many germs. I'll probably still go in the adult pool though.

And my doctor said to stay out of public pools - too many germs. I'll probably still go in the adult pool though.
What did your doctor say about going in the ocean? Did your doctor know that RCI has salt water pools? The most common ailments of swimming, ear infections, happen more frequently in chlorinated pools than in salt water environments. Actually I scuba dive and have never gotten an ear infection from Salt water, but have from chlorinated pools. The fact that RCI pools are salt water is good in this regard.

Now with that said, I would follow the instructions of your doctor with the following caveat.

While there are many excellent doctors out there, there are also some that are not so excellent. Keep in mind that someone who graduates from medical school at the bottom of their class is still called "Doctor". It is always best to use good judgment in making any and all decisions regarding you and your family's health. This includes as thorough research that can be done on any advice provided by your doctors (with reputable sources). Posters on CC are not reputable sources in this regard, me included.

BTW, I am NOT a doctor but merely sharing information gained from personal experiences.

Archived