Good place to eat?

Here's an excerpt from my Diary from Feb 2005. If you want to read more, you can find the link to my thread in my sig below.

=====

The bus left us in a shopping area a couple of blocks away from the pier. We walked away from the docks and found a little shop that had a menu outside on the wall. It resembled a small British-style fish-and-chips shop and we decided to try it (Carlitta’s Copper Kettle). We both had fish and chips and they were wonderful. A guy at the table next to us tried the lobster burger and he said it was very good. It was chunks of lobster in a red sauce that was served similar to a sloppy joe. The roll was homemade and he said very good. The prices were a little high but like when we were in Hawaii, so much has to be imported from the mainland that it isn’t unexpected. The menu also featured a dolphin burger but neither of us could bring ourselves to order a sandwich with an endangered species. It also featured a turtle stew (which I thought of getting but didn’t). After we ate, a crewmember from the Carnival Conquest came in and ordered two orders of turtle stew to go. We figured it had to be pretty good if crewmembers who travel regularly to this port tendered out to get lunch from this place. The atmosphere was a little strange since they were playing the radio with a Grand Cayman station, but it was a country western station and we were sitting in a British fish-and-chips shop in the Caymans listening to country music.

Not sure about a nice place in Grand Cayman to eat, but be sure to try the Tortuga Rum Cakes, they are delicious. A really nice place to eat in Cozumel is Pancho's Backyard. It is located in the back of a store called Los Cinco Soles. We never go to Cozumel without stopping here. The food in wonderful, the atmosphere is so quaint, the servers are so nice and the maragarita's are awesome. Give it a try, even if it's just for drinks and nacho's - homemade salsa, homemade quacomole and fresh squeezed lime juice for maragarita's. You may be able to see their menu at www.panchosbackyard.com Enjoy :D

Dolphin is also a fish--not necessarily a "porpoise" that is endangered!

I know...a silly American sentiment, but here, they usually differentiate between dolphin fish and dolphin. The name alone turned me off even though I suspected it was dolphin fish and not actual dolphins.

Archived