what cabin?

basser

I am in the process of planning a June 2005 Alaska cruise. I am thinking of using HAL because of Seward and both college Fjord and Glacier Bay. We are taking our 13 yr. old grand daughter and 10 yr. old grandson.

Although I don't have any 2005 prices yet, I am thinking of a suite for the 4 of us because of more room and beds. Based on 2004 prices, that eill be very expensive, but the kids won't be that expensive as the 3rd and 4th passingers.

Would I be better off booking a quad cabin or a balcony and an inside across the hall?

Only you can decide. A great deal depends on the kids?? Are they well traveled, can they be left alone?? Officially you will need an adult for each cabin assigned. Space isn't an issue for me, nor a cramped quad cabin- work fine- again my opinion only. But some have a higher "comfort factor" determine what your's is? I wouldn't break the bank on a cabin- the kids would remember a great tour like a glacier helicopter landing, long after balcony suite. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by basser:
I am in the process of planning a June 2005 Alaska cruise. I am thinking of using HAL because of Seward and both college Fjord and Glacier Bay. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't what what tour you are taking (or traveling independently first) but CC will have a group cruise probably in the June time frame on HAL, Celeb or Princess.. either southbound from Seward/Whittier or roundtrip. If you haven't booked yet you might want to watch this thread.. we usually get very good rates, might help on the cabin. Lots of folks get a balcony cabin and an inside across if they have teens with them. The cruise lines, unless there is a problem, don't generally mind if you put the teens across from you.... If you decide to just book insides, check the deck plan and try to get a cabin that has good access to outside decks instead of one 2-3 decks down from Promenade..

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea...[/B]</font> [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Thanks for the information.

B.Q. Your advice is sound. I have been crunching numbers based on this years prices in HAL's brochure and there is a tremendous saving by not doing the suite. It looks like on the cruise I looked at (southbound on the Staatendam) that there are no quad balcony cabins. Ocean view with window seems to be the first catagory that has quads.

Caroline, I have been watching for the info on the cruise but I want to go to College Fjords and Glacier Bay so that would be a must. Correct me if I am wrong, but won't we have to pay full price for the kids if we book 2 cabins?

Yes if you get 2 cabins all 4 people will be at the full rates. The discounts are only for a single cabin with the 3-4 passengers discounted. I sailed Alaska a few times in a quad cabin- the savings more than made up for any so called "crowding".

It is of no importance - for me. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But for plenty of people it is a must do. If it is going to impact too greatly on your budget- then - my opinion only, go with an inside and enjoy a great excursion instead. I can see nothing worse then resenting spending extra cash that may not be available?

We travelled on HAL last summer with 15 and 12 yr. old children; had a "S" suite. There was more than enough room not to feel overcrowded and the balcony was bonus space to spread out a little more. (Note: one king bed, one sofa bed). The price we got for the 4 of us in this suite was a much better deal than 2 cabins. I loved the balcony and spent a bit of time out there!! Only you can judge what your preference would be. Happy planning!!

May I add that you will be able to get much better prices than what you see in any brochure. You have plenty of time to do a lot of research and compare. There are tons of online agencies, or your local TA can get you much lower than what is listed in the brochures.

Kathy

Archived