Warning to advance cruise purchasers

imgo'n2c

:eek: I recently had to cancel a cruise in June for an October 2007 cruise with one of the smaller cruise lines. The cruise is going to cost me at least $950 for cruise insurance and perhaps the $1000 deposit although I cancelled over 100 day in advance. This is not illegal as it is stated in the contract but is different from the rules of advance booking which most larger lines have. The insurance could only be purchased at the time of booking but is not refundable or transferable to another future booking.The deposit is a forfeit because, although final payment was not due until 90 days prior to cruising as is true on larger lines which give you a full refund if you cancel before final payment. I am not sure which of the smaller cruise lines and tour co this applies to as this is my first small cruise-tour. Anyone who has had a different experience , please correct me. As I said, This is not an illegal practice because it is stated in the contract but I do not think they made that clear when I booked last Seotember. If you are booking a year in advance be sure you pay attention and ask questions about their insurance and deposit. You can forego their insurance and add your own later to cover delays etc and remember that $500 penalty will kick in at 120 days (cancellations must be written) even if payment is not due until 90 days before the cruise.. Poorer but wiser:( :( :(

Sorry about your loss. I lost $1000. last year on a land trip because I didn't purchase insurance. My fault. Nobody else to blame. Taught me a lesson, though. All companies have cancellations rules written in the fine print. It pays to read that fine print so you are aware of where you stand. I will from now on always buy insurance and also will read the fine print.

I have always purchased insurance when I made final payment on the larger cruises. What get's me with this :it took more than four days to answer any email and even then they just said "call customer service" I did but they told me the cruise company was out of the loop and gave me a number for the inssurance co who is supposed to be sending me a claim form. Either way I'm out at least $950.

I'm confused. I understand that you are going to lose your insurance premium and your deposit. I'm a novice, but when I have purchased insurance on cruises, it would cover the non-refundable portion of the cruise contract if the cancellation was for reasons covered by the insurance contract. Why are you not being indemnified by the insurance company for the cruise obligation?

Definitely a hard lesson to learn.

I usualliy book a 3rd party insurance (not one offered through the cruise line) and they have always let me transfer the money from the insurance ONCE to another trip.

Can you say what company you booked the cruise through?

Archived