Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hello all,

I finally got the photos done from when we visited with the service dogs at the local county fire station.

Again, warning lots of photos and many that are similar shots. I like to take as many as I can in case I get that one particular one that the trainer or partner loves. Since many of the dogs are not placed yet, I hope the future partner will enjoy them too.

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10152781658628543.1073741845.535573542&type=3

Back to cruise matters.

I decided to not do the EBTA. The prices were crazy. Disney figures out when something is popular and then really raises the prices. I did the WBTA in a veranda solo for about $1400. This one would have been $6,000! Even an inside was $3,500...

Part of the issue is they stuck in a few new ports (England and Ireland) so that alone increased prices. Oh well.

I moved my Disney Dream cruise from December to January. The date works out better for me and I still have a really nice cruise to look forward to. If my future SD is here by then, I'll only have to deal with the Bahamas paperwork.

Holly

Edited by thephantomsgirl
darn typo

Back to cruise matters.

I decided to not do the EBTA. The prices were crazy. Disney figures out when something is popular and then really raises the prices. I did the WBTA in a veranda solo for about $1400. This one would have been $6,000! Even an inside was $3,500...

Part of the issue is they stuck in a few new ports (England and Ireland) so that alone increased prices. Oh well.

I moved my Disney Dream cruise from December to January. The date works out better for me and I still have a really nice cruise to look forward to. If my future SD is here by then, I'll only have to deal with the Bahamas paperwork.

Holly

I have to agree. Disney just released their summer 2016 cruises. The Alaska cruise is out of this world expensive even with us being Vacation Club members. I just did a quick price quote with RCCL & NCL and both were around $3000 cheaper. And NCL included the free drink package!!

Alaska is on my bucket list, but I doubt it'll be with DCL. I LOVE Disney but they are really pricing people out.

I've done two cruises on Carnival. Not Disney, but I really enjoyed both cruises fully. So I'll probably be looking elsewhere for future cruises.

Enjoy Alaska if you go - I hear it's sensational. :)

I am not an expert on European travel. That said, I have read that any animals entering the UK must be quarantined. When the actress Elizabeth Taylor was receiving an O.B.E she brought her little dog along, but could not bring it into the country because of the quarantine requirement. Others, including Roz have commented on this. So you may hear from somebody with actual experience. (Sounds like a wonderful trip though.) :)

Thanks!

Beckie

Beckie, no quarantine for Service Dogs. Morey, Brenda and I went to Switzerland, Italy, France and Germany in a rented car, after flying into Switzerland, and had a trip of a lifetime for 3 weeks.

I went to Brenda's Vet, who is USDA Accredited and he knew exactly what she needed.

She had to have Tick and Echinococcus [tapeworm treatment] treatments done. This can be given by any Vet and MUST be done 24-48 hours prior to check-in.

Here's the sequence we had to go through:

1. Microchip

2. Rabies Vaccination [must be current]

3. Blood draw for testing at an approved Lab for rabies serology

If OK then your dog is eligible to travel 6 months later.

4. EU Certificate issued by USDA Accredited Vet and endorsed by USDA Aphis [my Vet did all of this for me.]

5. Tick and Echinococcus tapeworm treatments done 24-48 hours prior to check in on approved route and recorded on the EU Certificate.

I was in contact with Liz Shickle Veterinary Officer, I don't know if she is still working in Animal Health in Europe but it's worth a try to contact her. She is amazingly helpful and will get you through all the hurdles easily.

Liz Shickle Veterinary Officer

Animal Health

Heathrow Border Inspection Post - Live Animal

P-+44 (0) 208 759 7002 F- + 44 (0) 208 564 8939

Elizabeth.Shickle@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk

We had a wonderful trip and were more welcomed in Europe with Brenda more than in the U.S. Dogs are treated with great respect in France & Switzerland. We ran into pet dogs in practically EVERY restaurant we ate in and were offered a dish of water or treat from the servers. It felt so weird! In France there are dog water fountains on the streets just to keep the dogs hydrated.

I can't believe this has changed too much since 2003, but you never know!

The most difficult part of all of the above is the airlines. You must be prepared to feed and water your dog differently. Remember, depending on where you're flying from he/she will have to go a long time without relieving themselves. Brenda was fed very small meals, a few kibble snacks and only ice chips while flying.

She went potty in L.A., right before boarding and not again until we got to Wasington, D.C. [allow yourself time on the layovers to find the relief areas] most major airports in the U.S. have installed relief areas for our dog but they're not always conveniently located.

In Paris we had 45 minutes to find a place for her and then boarded our plane for Zurich [where we rented a car.]

Believe me when I say it can be exhausting. It's good idea to train your dog to go potty on cement, as well!

I don't remember where we were but one time, while onboard a flight, we were stuck on the tarmack and Brenda was giving me her sign for "I HAVE TO GO POTTY NOW!!!!!" I called over a Stewardess and told her. She asked for the command to give Brenda to go potty and took her off the plane to a bunch of gravel on the tarmack. I would NEVER let anyone do this.......but, Brenda didn't care and she really had to go!

Invention and being resilient is what it takes to walk or wheel with a Service Dog!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Unfortunately, fakers have become a big problem! And many of them even brag on Instagram and Twitter about it! It definitely affects real service dog teams because these untrained pets can attack or distract real teams and their poor behavior puts a sour taste in the mouths of the public and businesses towards service dogs and the fake IDs they flash for access makes some businesses think all teams have or are willing to show IDs (it is illegal for businesses to request or require them) so kick out teams without IDs.

Hey, some free stuff! I think some of you are members of International Association of Assistance Dog Partners already. Just got an email a few minutes ago that reads as follows:

"IAADP is delighted to announce that we will have a new Benefit available to IAADP Partner Members in the USA in 2015 thanks to the generosity of Bayer HealthCare LLC! This is in addition to their wonderful support of IAADP's Veterinary Care Partnership program and other IAADP initiatives.

A couple weeks ago, a huge truck pulled up in my driveway with a big shipment of K9 ADVANTIX I I, the topical ointment that will protect our assistance dogs against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and more. ( scroll down for important product information )

PLEASE NOTE: Our new Delivery system for this Bayer product enables you to receive it without a trip to your veterinarian. Do NOT have your veterinarian call Bayer in the future. You must send your request directly to IAADP to receive this gift from Bayer, as detailed below.

`Thrilled to announce this new benefit!

Joan,

IAADP Chairperson

How To Obtain this NEW Bayer Benefit in the USA.

( A ) EMAIL ADDRESS: Contact our Membership Coordinator, Dana Spears, BY EMAIL, to request the Bayer product, K9 Advantix I I The email address is: request@iaadp.org

Be sure to use it!

( B ) YOUR INFORMATION. ( Dana needs this Info to process your request ) Put it in your Email to us!

# 1. Your IAADP Partner Member ID Number (( see your Membership ID Card ))

# 2. Your current Address (( where do we send your Advantix packet?))

# 3. Your dog's Name and the breed or breed- mix (( for database verification))

# 4. Your dog's estimated WEIGHT.....so we send the right size packet to you!"

Pretty cool, huh? Didn't say if they are sending a one month sample, a one year supply or whatever, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I use K9 Advantix II already for my partner, so I zipped back a reply! So I am sharing the word just in case you didn't get the email.

It says US-only, I noticed.

Hey, some free stuff! I think some of you are members of International Association of Assistance Dog Partners already. Just got an email a few minutes ago that reads as follows:

"IAADP is delighted to announce that we will have a new Benefit available to IAADP Partner Members in the USA in 2015 thanks to the generosity of Bayer HealthCare LLC! This is in addition to their wonderful support of IAADP's Veterinary Care Partnership program and other IAADP initiatives.

A couple weeks ago, a huge truck pulled up in my driveway with a big shipment of K9 ADVANTIX I I, the topical ointment that will protect our assistance dogs against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and more. ( scroll down for important product information )

PLEASE NOTE: Our new Delivery system for this Bayer product enables you to receive it without a trip to your veterinarian. Do NOT have your veterinarian call Bayer in the future. You must send your request directly to IAADP to receive this gift from Bayer, as detailed below.

`Thrilled to announce this new benefit!

Joan,

IAADP Chairperson

How To Obtain this NEW Bayer Benefit in the USA.

( A ) EMAIL ADDRESS: Contact our Membership Coordinator, Dana Spears, BY EMAIL, to request the Bayer product, K9 Advantix I I The email address is: request@iaadp.org

Be sure to use it!

( B ) YOUR INFORMATION. ( Dana needs this Info to process your request ) Put it in your Email to us!

# 1. Your IAADP Partner Member ID Number (( see your Membership ID Card ))

# 2. Your current Address (( where do we send your Advantix packet?))

# 3. Your dog's Name and the breed or breed- mix (( for database verification))

# 4. Your dog's estimated WEIGHT.....so we send the right size packet to you!"

Pretty cool, huh? Didn't say if they are sending a one month sample, a one year supply or whatever, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I use K9 Advantix II already for my partner, so I zipped back a reply! So I am sharing the word just in case you didn't get the email.

It says US-only, I noticed.

Chris, thanks so much for the information. I'm sending away for it right now! I've been a proud member since 2002.

OMG my poor TA. I just saw the Panama Canal cruise and it's not that bad a price. If I moved my Dream cruise to then, I could do it. Hmmmmm, temptation.

I think I've read on here people have done the PC cruises with service dogs....

Yes, Morey, Brenda and I did a 15 day cruise out of L.A. and ended in Florida. It was exhausting. I couldn't do it today without someone to assist me with my stuff and Horton. I would NEVER venture it by myself!!!! The flight home was delayed because of a bomb scare, there was no place for Brenda to go potty so they got a man with a golf cart to take us outside the security check point and then back in.....don't ask!!!!

The same old thing to worry about.......the various ports that had loose dogs and the Immigration Officer who insisted he be paid in cash and on and on.

You handle each incident as it comes up and if you don't feel safe, you stay onboard with the dog and take turns in port.

You know I don't hesitate to go EVERYWHERE with my dog......I'm just very careful not to take risks with him that endanger him in any way!!!!!! I'd rather stay onboard the wonderful air conditioned ship than put him in harms way!

OMG my poor TA. I just saw the Panama Canal cruise and it's not that bad a price. If I moved my Dream cruise to then, I could do it. Hmmmmm, temptation.

I think I've read on here people have done the PC cruises with service dogs....

We just did one last month. The prices usually drop, so hang on and wait to pay in full until the end. We received several price drops, and even extra OBC AND pre-paid gratuities! The biggest price drop we received was over $600 each. We also had the option to upgrade at the same price and not take the price drop, but we opted for the drop. I loved our cabin, so upgrading to a mini didn't motivate me.

Let me know if you need any info on that cruise. We were on the Coral Princess.

Cindra

OK...I am going to try this photo posting thing one more time... Keep your fingers crossed. This is a formal photo taken of the three of us on board.

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=9081239015/a=9385951_9385951/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Let me know the result, please.

Cindra

Hey - found this the other day; it has been out for a while but worth a second look if you have already seen it - this one is for Fairbourne and DisneyDad! and all the other puppy trainers:

OK, I'm crying. That is a beautiful video.

OK...I am going to try this photo posting thing one more time... Keep your fingers crossed. This is a formal photo taken of the three of us on board.

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=9081239015/a=9385951_9385951/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Let me know the result, please.

Cindra

It worked! Thanks for the link of all three of you in black & white!

Hey - found this the other day; it has been out for a while but worth a second look if you have already seen it - this one is for Fairbourne and DisneyDad! and all the other puppy trainers:

Thanks, alexpepa! Never saw that one before. Funny thing, though, my iPad got all blurry.