Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy, Thank you for mentioning the Dog Hog bed for travel. It worked very well for Raylene on the plane, and rolled up so small I could put it in my big travel tote. The fuzzy part with all the dog hair was rolled on the inside, with the nylon part out, and the Velcro straps made it a quick job after the plane landed.

I used it in the hotels and also on the stateroom sofa (with beach towels beneath to cover the sofa upholstery). Gave the dog a familiar scent.

I folded it in half to fit the plane floor space and she hopped on right away. I think dogs like having a designated place, and probably shielded a little from cold air and dirt. It washed a dried well, too. Rolled up now for our next cruise.

Thanks Dianne and Roz for your response and explanations. The dog that was on the furniture was pushed around in a stroller most of the time. And the one that was carried around I never saw on the ground. I'm sure these dogs provided some service to their owner....be it emotional or other. We are seeing more of the small, fluffy type dogs on board which does lead one to wonder. Your animals are beautiful and what most of us are accustomed to seeing. It's great that dogs can now be trained to aid with so many more things people have to deal with. I was so happy to read about the Autism Dog. Had never heard about this.

I look forward to following along with your travels and adventures with your dogs. Thanks again. :)

Remember: The "Emotional Support Dog" does NOT have public access. This dog will be allowed to live in a "No dogs allowed" apartment or condo, with a special note from the doctor but should not be allowed in the bank, supermarket or restaurant.

It's very difficult for the shopkeeper who wants to please everyone and the patron puts "FiFi" in the shopping cart.

They make it so much more difficult for us with ligitimate dogs.

I had a lady onboard a cruise, with a little Yorky who would not stop barking and nipping at Horton, beg me not to turn her in [we were waiting in the dock area to board.] She said she can't go anywhere without her dog. I told her to get it more training so it didn't act so badly and it would be better for both of them. After boarding I hardly saw her onboard the ship. She literally stayed in her cabin most of the cruise. So sad!!!!

When I first interviewed with Canine Companions for Independence they were training Corgi's as Hearing Dogs. But, men didn't like them so much because they were so little. They wanted big, manly dogs. Corgi's are great for sitting on your lap and for carrying if need be, they'd be easier to take on flights, etc. They don't train them anymore. Only Lab and the cross between the Lab and Golden Retriever.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy, Thank you for mentioning the Dog Hog bed for travel. It worked very well for Raylene on the plane, and rolled up so small I could put it in my big travel tote. The fuzzy part with all the dog hair was rolled on the inside, with the nylon part out, and the Velcro straps made it a quick job after the plane landed.

I used it in the hotels and also on the stateroom sofa (with beach towels beneath to cover the sofa upholstery). Gave the dog a familiar scent.

I folded it in half to fit the plane floor space and she hopped on right away. I think dogs like having a designated place, and probably shielded a little from cold air and dirt. It washed a dried well, too. Rolled up now for our next cruise.

So glad it worked!!! We use ours on every trip.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I did not hear back from Celebrity so I called them today and spoke to another person in the access department. They did send an e-mail this afternoon - they were unable to provide a citation to any law prohibiting the pet relief box on the balcony. The reason they are now giving me is that "we cannot place a relief box in stateroom balconies for the consideration of other passengers onboard."

Dianne

When I first interviewed with Canine Companions for Independence they were training Corgi's as Hearing Dogs. But, men didn't like them so much because they were so little. They wanted big, manly dogs. Corgi's are great for sitting on your lap and for carrying if need be, they'd be easier to take on flights, etc. They don't train them anymore. Only Lab and the cross between the Lab and Golden Retriever.

Newfoundland dogs make great lap dogs.

I'm just going to leave this here.

What people say to you when out with your service dog.

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Canine Companions has a wonderful program for the Autistic community as well.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I did not hear back from Celebrity so I called them today and spoke to another person in the access department. They did send an e-mail this afternoon - they were unable to provide a citation to any law prohibiting the pet relief box on the balcony. The reason they are now giving me is that "we cannot place a relief box in stateroom balconies for the consideration of other passengers onboard."

Dianne

Dianne, don't battle with these people who aren't even on the ship. Wait until you get to the ship and talk to the Hotel Manager or the Chief Mainentance Officer. Explain your needs and request that they move it to the patio with the promise that you will pick up the solids and place it into a plastic bag and dispose it into the recepticle provided.

They're so used to coming across the typical slob who doesn't care about what kind of mess they make that they treat everyone the same. Reassure them that you will keep everything neat and tidy with your cabin steward's help.

And, again, remind them that you know that on Cruise Critic it has been mentioned that many, many cruise lines are doing this now, with no problems.

In defense of the small, fluffy dogs, there are some longtime, very legitimate nonprofits like Dogs for the Deaf in Oregon that train small dogs as Hearing Dogs. They jump up onto the owner's lap to alert to a sound (smoke detector, door knock, many others). Hearing Loss is an invisible disability, so people sometimes make up their minds that the person is traveling with a pet. I believe there are others with invisible disabilities who don't necessarily need a 70-pounder to get the job done.

Are there fake service dogs on ships? Yes, just as there are people who get a doctor friend to vouch for a handicapped parking sticker so they don't have so far to walk, and see nothing wrong with doing it.

Many of us are in favor of a national licensing program, but probably people would find ways to abuse that, too.

I'm sure people would find ways to abuse it, sadly.

As someone new to this, I can say that in many ways a service dog can be a life changer for the good, but in many ways they can be a real pain in the you know what. You can't just dash out the door any more. You have to plan an extra 10 - 15 minutes to get the dog ready as well, or at least I do. He has to be fed breakfast and do his necessary business in the morning, plus get his collar and leash and cape on to identify him. Then, at least for now, we get stopped a couple of times walking across campus by people asking about him.

Going to the store means we have to put on the harness and seatbelt.

It is like traveling with a 2 year old. All the extra stuff.

When I picked up Scooter from the trainer last Thursday, she asked me if I was positive what I was getting into, and all that it entailed, and assured her I was.

That said, because I'm training a medical alert dog that I'm involved with from the very earliest start, getting him at 8-weeks, we decided to look for a dog with a history of working closely with humans that also had a history of sitting patiently a lot. Hence, he is mostly lab. That and I may need him to lead me home if one of my migraines gets me and leaves me unable to see, which has happened before.

Good News: Ruffwear Dog Gear offers a discount to those of us who have a Service Dog. See below. If you go to their site you can get more complete information. For leashes/collars, etc., this is good to know.

Also, for those of you who are keeping your dogs on Eukanuba, Chewy.com ships it to your home. If you spend more than a certain amount the shipping is free. I still like EntirelyPets.com for Horton's Virbac Chews though.

Pro Purchase Program

Welcome to Ruffwear’s Pro Purchase Program!

This program allows select industry partners and professionals to purchase Ruffwear Performance Dog Gear at preferred pricing.

This program is intended for you alone, and purchases made through this program are intended for you and your dog(s). This program is not intended to purchase products for others or to resell Ruffwear gear; doing so will jeopardize your participation in this program.

Scooter is a changed dog after a month with the trainer!

Here are photos from August 18 and then September 18.

He is so much better behaved! He spent all weekend in a charity event I was responsible for. He periodically poked his nose under the table to check out the various people showing up, but otherwise did great!

The biggest issue we have is people thinking he is a therapy dog since that is what we mostly see on campus.

He has quit pulling on the leash and does a great job walking next to me, doesn't run out the door, and listens when I say "leave it" even when there is a cat!. He is also doing much better at going potty when I ask him to do so, and going all at once.

He isn't doing as well at alerting that I'm about to shift and should medicate, but he was gone for a month. That will come back.

This one is my favorite:

https://goo.gl/photos/2LFhNvqvGyxkpEDv6

I'm sure people would find ways to abuse it, sadly.

As someone new to this, I can say that in many ways a service dog can be a life changer for the good, but in many ways they can be a real pain in the you know what. You can't just dash out the door any more. You have to plan an extra 10 - 15 minutes to get the dog ready as well, or at least I do. He has to be fed breakfast and do his necessary business in the morning, plus get his collar and leash and cape on to identify him. Then, at least for now, we get stopped a couple of times walking across campus by people asking about him.

Going to the store means we have to put on the harness and seatbelt.

It is like traveling with a 2 year old. All the extra stuff.

When I picked up Scooter from the trainer last Thursday, she asked me if I was positive what I was getting into, and all that it entailed, and assured her I was.

That said, because I'm training a medical alert dog that I'm involved with from the very earliest start, getting him at 8-weeks, we decided to look for a dog with a history of working closely with humans that also had a history of sitting patiently a lot. Hence, he is mostly lab. That and I may need him to lead me home if one of my migraines gets me and leaves me unable to see, which has happened before.

Barb, every word you wrote is absolutely true. We now have a 2 year old in our lives that requires so much more to do than ever before. I've been doing all the extra work since 2002 so I'm pretty much used to it but it's a lot. I have to get up 45 minutes earlier every morning for "Horton time!"

Thank goodness I've also taught him to go back to sleep after breakfast and potty time, on the weekends, so I can catch a few more winks FOR ME!!!!

What Horton does FOR me is nothing short of a miracle so I'll do all that I can to keep him well and happy.

Scooter is just beginning his career and will prove to you how valuable he is to your life and your well being!

I'm happy for both of you!

He is so much better behaved! He spent all weekend in a charity event I was responsible for. He periodically poked his nose under the table to check out the various people showing up, but otherwise did great!

The biggest issue we have is people thinking he is a therapy dog since that is what we mostly see on campus.

He has quit pulling on the leash and does a great job walking next to me, doesn't run out the door, and listens when I say "leave it" even when there is a cat!. He is also doing much better at going potty when I ask him to do so, and going all at once.

He isn't doing as well at alerting that I'm about to shift and should medicate, but he was gone for a month. That will come back.

This one is my favorite:

https://goo.gl/photos/2LFhNvqvGyxkpEDv6

Barb, he actually looks like he's smiling.........He's learned so much, it never ceases to amaze me at how much information they can retain.

Have fun with him, he's such a handsome boy!

Great pictures of Scooter, Barb!

Yes, it is definitely a big commitment of time and energy to be a dog partner. Someone on the ship said, "it must be fun to bring your dog on cruises," and all I could say was, "Well, it involves a lot of work!" I tell people it's like living 24/7 with a very smart 4-year old.

I'd write more, but "She Who Must be Fed" just popped up next to me... Giving me The Look.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

That "look"......Horton can stare me down like no one else in my life. He knows when it's time to eat, they could run the Pentagon on Horton's time keeping!!!! He also has the capability of making me feel so guilty if I get busy and can't get him his food on time!!!!

Then there are the time changes when you travel. Alaska was four hours earlier than Florida, so all of us had to adjust.

Horton's tummy says one thing and the sunrise says another. I keep rice cakes on hand to hold him off and keep him busy with breaking it up and placing the tiny pieces in his kong. It works with deflecting his hunger and his playfulness.

I've been known to breakup his kibble and stuff it into his kong just to keep his mind off of the clock.

It really works......love those kongs.

Dianne, don't battle with these people who aren't even on the ship. Wait until you get to the ship and talk to the Hotel Manager or the Chief Mainentance Officer. Explain your needs and request that they move it to the patio with the promise that you will pick up the solids and place it into a plastic bag and dispose it into the recepticle provided.

Thanks Roz, it does seem like the Access Department won't budge. I will see if I can get them to more it on the ship (especially if it ends up in a location that is not easily accessible).

Dianne

Good News: Ruffwear Dog Gear offers a discount to those of us who have a Service Dog. See below. If you go to their site you can get more complete information. For leashes/collars, etc., this is good to know.

Also, for those of you who are keeping your dogs on Eukanuba, Chewy.com ships it to your home. If you spend more than a certain amount the shipping is free. I still like EntirelyPets.com for Horton's Virbac Chews though.

I was able to get Henri's life vest through Ruffwear for 1/2 off. They also have the boots. I also use Chewy.com and have them auto ship Henri's food every 10 weeks. Very convenient.

Dianne

So cute - that's great that he is doing so well!

Dianne

I was able to get Henri's life vest through Ruffwear for 1/2 off. They also have the boots. I also use Chewy.com and have them auto ship Henri's food every 10 weeks. Very convenient.

Dianne

Dianne, it's such a good idea and makes it so much more convenient for those of us with challenges.