Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks Roz, it does seem like the Access Department won't budge. I will see if I can get them to more it on the ship (especially if it ends up in a location that is not easily accessible).

Dianne

Not smart that the Access Dept. is not suggesting that you speak with the HM when you board. I've had some Access folks tell me that everything is set-up and ready to go..........specifically when I boarded the Star Princess which turned out be the biggest nightmare I've ever faced yet onboard a cruiseship. I cringe when I think of ever boarding her again!!!!!

They placed the box way forward, behind a locked door, with a door jam that required that you climb over it. No joke! What if I was in a wheelchair.......they NEVER considered any health issues I may have had and told me, under no circumstances, would the potty-box be placed in the aft stairwell, it was against all regulations [the stairwell was 10 steps away from my cabin!] I insisted that I speak with the PERSON-IN-CHARGE......I had no idea then that it would be the Hotel Manager.....Now I know! I made sure that Horton had NO WATER and NO EXERCISE and we waited in front of the Pursers Desk, while everyone was getting ready for the Muster Drill........I WASN'T GOING TO BUDGE!!!!!! I was fuming!!!!!

About 45 minutes into this nightmare, a very nice looking older man [in uniform] approached me and said, "the box has been placed in the stairwell madam, you are all set!"

It took the wind out of my sails, I must say.....but, I gathered myself up, dusted myself off and rushed to take Horton potty before I headed for the lounge for the drill.

The rest of the cruise was very good. Some ships need a lesson on "how-to" and we're not giving up on teaching them!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Good News: Ruffwear Dog Gear offers a discount to those of us who have a Service Dog. See below. If you go to their site you can get more complete information. For leashes/collars, etc., this is good to know.

Also, for those of you who are keeping your dogs on Eukanuba, Chewy.com ships it to your home. If you spend more than a certain amount the shipping is free. I still like EntirelyPets.com for Horton's Virbac Chews though.

Pro Purchase Program

Welcome to Ruffwear’s Pro Purchase Program!

This program allows select industry partners and professionals to purchase Ruffwear Performance Dog Gear at preferred pricing.

This program is intended for you alone, and purchases made through this program are intended for you and your dog(s). This program is not intended to purchase products for others or to resell Ruffwear gear; doing so will jeopardize your participation in this program.

I also get my chews from Entirely pets. They were always the cheapest. The prices have now gone up, and I see Amazon has them cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Thanks Roz, it does seem like the Access Department won't budge. I will see if I can get them to more it on the ship (especially if it ends up in a location that is not easily accessible).

Dianne

Access Dept is the most useless Dept cruise lines have. They have never done anything right or given correct info. One cruise we went on the ship didn't even know the dog was coming. They had to make a box quickly. After we filled out mega forms? Ughhhh They always seem to put the box in some crew area. NCL put it in an area that had a door that was at least 6' wide and weighed a ton! I had to use 2 hands and all my strength to open it. How was John going to open that? I had to be with him every time Wex had to potty.

Edited by rangeley

I also get my chews from Entirely pets. They were always the cheapest. The prices have now gone up, and I see Amazon has them cheaper.

Cindy, I haven't even tried Amazon for the chews, yet. Amazon killed my daughters business. They had a Beauty and Health business on the internet and were very successful until Amazon came along and they not only offered the same products cheaper but also offered free shipping! Luckily they have a brick & mortar shop in downtown Eugene that still supports them!!!!

I'm going to go check the prices now.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy, I haven't even tried Amazon for the chews, yet. Amazon killed my daughters business. They had a Beauty and Health business on the internet and were very successful until Amazon came along and they not only offered the same products cheaper but also offered free shipping! Luckily they have a brick & mortar shop in downtown Eugene that still supports them!!!!

I'm going to go check the prices now.

I bet Amazon killed alot of businesses. Sometimes you can't beat the prices.

Access Dept is the most useless Dept cruise lines have. They have never done anything right or given correct info. One cruise we went on the ship didn't even know the dog was coming. After we filled out mega forms? Ughhhh

Boy, there's a job waiting to happen. We could be the Access Dept. for cruise lines around the world. And, we could screen all the "Service Dog Wannabe's"

Only because I'm such a tenacious person, certainly not because I'm the most brilliant, do I get my needs met. I will NOT take NO for an answer when I know whatever I'm asking for is very possible and easy to make happen!!!!

Dianne, you INSIST that the box be moved to your patio!!!!!!! In a nice way, of course!!!!

Boy, there's a job waiting to happen. We could be the Access Dept. for cruise lines around the world. And, we could screen all the "Service Dog Wannabe's"

Only because I'm such a tenacious person, certainly not because I'm the most brilliant, do I get my needs met. I will NOT take NO for an answer when I know whatever I'm asking for is very possible and easy to make happen!!!!

Dianne, you INSIST that the box be moved to your patio!!!!!!! In a nice way, of course!!!!

Roz I am about ready to take you with me!!

Cindy, you are right - the Access Department has not been very helpful.

Dianne

Barb - we are on Celebrity Infinity.

Dianne

Thanks, Dianne. Not quite as good as if on a different ship, but I believe I have the contact info with the F&B Manager on board. His boss will be the Hotel Director on board. It helps to have taken lots of Celebrity cruises at this point. :) It is his personal email, so I hesitate to contact him, but I can reach out to him if you'd like me to do so.

When do you sail?

Thanks, Dianne. Not quite as good as if on a different ship, but I believe I have the contact info with the F&B Manager on board. His boss will be the Hotel Director on board. It helps to have taken lots of Celebrity cruises at this point. :) It is his personal email, so I hesitate to contact him, but I can reach out to him if you'd like me to do so.

When do you sail?

Thanks Barb - we sail October 7th. If we have issues once we board the ship, I will post here and see if you can contact him.

Dianne

Roz I am about ready to take you with me!!

Cindy, you are right - the Access Department has not been very helpful.

Dianne

Yeh! When do we leave! We'd have so much fun and Henri and Horton would be the best of friends!

You better be careful......I've been known to cruise with my Cruise Critic friends before!!!!

I'm in Roz! Maybe between all of us we have enough brain to help people.

Remember: The "Emotional Support Dog" does NOT have public access. This dog will be allowed to live in a "No dogs allowed" apartment or condo, with a special note from the doctor but should not be allowed in the bank, supermarket or restaurant.

It's very difficult for the shopkeeper who wants to please everyone and the patron puts "FiFi" in the shopping cart.

They make it so much more difficult for us with ligitimate dogs.

I had a lady onboard a cruise, with a little Yorky who would not stop barking and nipping at Horton, beg me not to turn her in [we were waiting in the dock area to board.] She said she can't go anywhere without her dog. I told her to get it more training so it didn't act so badly and it would be better for both of them. After boarding I hardly saw her onboard the ship. She literally stayed in her cabin most of the cruise. So sad!!!!

When I first interviewed with Canine Companions for Independence they were training Corgi's as Hearing Dogs. But, men didn't like them so much because they were so little. They wanted big, manly dogs. Corgi's are great for sitting on your lap and for carrying if need be, they'd be easier to take on flights, etc. They don't train them anymore. Only Lab and the cross between the Lab and Golden Retriever.

Thanks, again, for your explanation. From yours and others posts I've learned a lot. I have an even greater appreciation of the wonderful animals who are trained to help people and their vital role they play in day to day life.

I can also see where it is hard for a a business to know if it is an Emotional Support Dog or Service Animal so I can only imagine how easy it would be for someone to bring their Emotional Support dog on a cruise ship. I see this increasing as more people see others onboard with their dog. Do you see this more in the US than in other countries?

Thanks, again, for your explanation. From yours and others posts I've learned a lot. I have an even greater appreciation of the wonderful animals who are trained to help people and their vital role they play in day to day life.

I can also see where it is hard for a a business to know if it is an Emotional Support Dog or Service Animal so I can only imagine how easy it would be for someone to bring their Emotional Support dog on a cruise ship. I see this increasing as more people see others onboard with their dog. Do you see this more in the US than in other countries?

This may be hard for some to believe but the Service Dog and the dog in general is much more welcome in Europe than in the US. It's not unusual to see a pet dog sitting at the table with the owners and eating off the same dishes that your eating off of. They LOVE dogs in France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.

In Paris we had to be careful where we were walking in the mall because there was dog poop that had not been picked up.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Just sharing some milestones:

Scooter and I successfully managed Aldi Supermarket on Monday, numerous meetings all week, including one in a chemistry lab, and today he did a great job in the Au Bon Pain Cafe!

Additionally, the staff at Aldi and ABP also did a great job, as did a family at Aldi. It turns out that my state law says that I have access rights with my SD-in-training as long as he is under proper control. That makes sense. He needs to practice being in places, and I need to practice handling him there.

So, on Monday, while we were stopped at Aldi picking up a couple of quick things, there was a little boy who got excited about Scooter. The mom was quick to say, "Yes, son, but you can't touch the doggy, he is working. See how he has a special jacket on? He has a job to do." I stopped to thank the mom for doing such a great job.

Then today, we had lunch at the cafe and the staff handled it great, as did Scooter. They all wanted to know about his breed, how old he was, what kind of training he had, etc. I'm happy to answer those questions! It was rather slow and early for lunch.

Now, off to enjoy the weekend!

Have a good one everyone!

Just sharing some milestones:

Scooter and I successfully managed Aldi Supermarket on Monday, numerous meetings all week, including one in a chemistry lab, and today he did a great job in the Au Bon Pain Cafe!

Additionally, the staff at Aldi and ABP also did a great job, as did a family at Aldi. It turns out that my state law says that I have access rights with my SD-in-training as long as he is under proper control. That makes sense. He needs to practice being in places, and I need to practice handling him there.

So, on Monday, while we were stopped at Aldi picking up a couple of quick things, there was a little boy who got excited about Scooter. The mom was quick to say, "Yes, son, but you can't touch the doggy, he is working. See how he has a special jacket on? He has a job to do." I stopped to thank the mom for doing such a great job.

Then today, we had lunch at the cafe and the staff handled it great, as did Scooter. They all wanted to know about his breed, how old he was, what kind of training he had, etc. I'm happy to answer those questions! It was rather slow and early for lunch.

Barb, you and Scooter will be a brilliant team, you both are doing so well!

Yeh! When do we leave! We'd have so much fun and Henri and Horton would be the best of friends!

You better be careful......I've been known to cruise with my Cruise Critic friends before!!!!

Henri would be beside herself if she could cruise with Horton!

Dianne

Sounds like Scooter is going to make a great partner!!

Dianne

Has anyone been through Atlanta since they installed the dog relief areas that are inside security? I am traveling with my friend and her seeing eye dog. We used to have to go out of security and then back through that long TSA line again. I have heard they are supposed to have installed indoor relief areas.

Does anyone know where they are? We called the airport and they were clueless.

Thanks.

Lynn

Has anyone been through Atlanta since they installed the dog relief areas that are inside security? I am traveling with my friend and her seeing eye dog. We used to have to go out of security and then back through that long TSA line again. I have heard they are supposed to have installed indoor relief areas.

Does anyone know where they are? We called the airport and they were clueless.

Thanks.

Lynn

I took a look at Atlanta's ADA web page and it states that they do not currently have relief areas inside security. What I have found is that even though the final rules went into effect at the beginning of August, many airports have not provided the relief areas inside security. I will be traveling through Ft. Lauderdale and San Francisco next month and neither airport has relief areas inside security. The airports don't seem to be in any hurry to comply with the new law. It may be up to service dog teams to start sending letters of complaint to the Department of Transportation.