Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

17 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

This is my concern too.  It's happened a few times over the years but I'm fast to step in and get them off Mavis. 

I OT'd my SD and I wouldn't object to some sort of certification.  However I have the means to pay for transportation, testing, and re-testing if necessary.  To get a CGC one must pay an evaluator.  I've heard prices ranging from $15 to $30 to administer this test - not too bad.  Finding a source for a public access test is much more difficult and it's not unlikely that an OT trained dog will fail the first time.  Most OT SD handlers are training their first dog, so they may have missed something important during training.  Failing them is not a problem for me - they need to know what to work on.  BUT if they are paying $100 for each evaluation, that can start to add up.  A LOT of OT SD handlers are on disability, welfare, and/or minimal budgets, as service dogs are not only for the well-to-do.  And if finding a PA test proves challenging, and a dog fails that first one, how long will the disabled person have to withdraw their dog from working before they can locate a second test?  If mandatory certification/registry is put in place, then there needs to be a government-run training/financial assistance program too. 

Train your dog to behave well around other humans to be non-reactive to other dogs.....PERIOD!!!!

Right now if your dog has a good demeanor, acts appropriately and is invisible [basically] that is all that is needed!  It's when folks bring their sniffing, whining, growling, barking and lunging dog around the public that it becomes the worst experience for everyone else.

The day will come when the law will state that ALL dogs brought into the public venue will need an International Service Dog Certificate......no matter what the public area may be.  If your dog is trained by a Certifide Org. then when you graduate with your dog you will automatically receive the ID Card.  If your dog is Self-Trained you will have to go to a Dog Training Org., pay a fee, and pass a public access test. 

The law will state that if your dog behaves badly and it's reported to management, you and your dog will be asked to leave and any and all compensation will be at YOUR expense!!!!

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

On the ship. I heard there's a person with 2 small poodle like dogs on board. I haven't seen them yet. More to come on that. 

The box is quite large and filled with grass. We asked for mulch but thats ok. If we asked for grass we would have gotten mulch. Lol   Anyway he went right in sniffed and peed! Wooohoooo. I think he's finally got the hang of it. The box is on the promenade deck port side front. Perfect for us since we are right at the front elevators port side. That is the usual place Holland America puts it. 

IMG_20200105_135304.jpg

IMG_20200105_135449.jpg

Interesting!  Does it get "muddy" when wet?  I think I'd still lay my artificial stuff on top of this.

18 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Interesting!  Does it get "muddy" when wet?  I think I'd still lay my artificial stuff on top of this.

No Roz it does not get muddy  lol

And on our way to dinner, Oleander pooped!! 

Edited by rangeley

Cindy, I love that photo of your boys. 

I recognize that location of the relief box in your other photo from our trip on that HAL ship last April. I’m really glad they filled it up with sod properly. Ours had just a small square of withered grass in one corner of the big box...and they never did add any more. Very messy when the old dry dirt on the bare wood got wet, and Raylene didn’t like using it.

Great news that Oakland hopped in & peed!!

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Let's remember that our CCI dogs will NEVER chase a pigeon, squirrel, horse, cat or any other animal.  When I'm traveling with my dog and see other dogs menacing towards other animals it breaks my heart.

Neither will my owner-trained service dog!!  There were hundreds of pigeons in a town square in Puerto Rico. A nice man gave my kids cracked corn to feed them.  Mavis wasn't bothered by them at all!

Mavis Pigeons2.png

Mavis Pigeons.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmg365suzyq said:

I have decided to go out more and now cruise with her even with the snide and rude comments since I don't look like I need her or because she is a small dog she must be a fake.  Not everyone can afford to have their SD professionally trained.

I'm so happy that you are planning to enjoy the independence that your SD girl is able to give you!  Don't worry about any comments - people can be ignorant.  I'm constantly educating people about small service dogs because when they see how well behaved Mavis is, they feel this weird need to share their experiences with 'fakes'.  Inevitably, the conversation turns to 'little yappy dogs' or 'ankle biters' and how they are all fake.  I explain that the number ONE breed for medical alert (in a survey that I found a few months ago) is the Chihuahua!  I tell them that despite the small size, a Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Papillon, etc., is STILL A DOG!  They can still sense the same things that a Golden, Lab, or GSD can.  They still have the same keen sense of smell.  How much easier it would be to carry my SD around vs. trying to steer her 95 pound body through crowds!  I envy you and your cute SD!  Stay strong!

13 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

We were at Miami Int'l Airport a few weeks ago and they had a special LINE for people with dogs!!  I was very nervous about standing in it because there were at least 8 obnoxious, uncontrolled dogs that wanted to start trouble with my SD.  My family stood around her like guards as she slept on the floor just to keep these dogs on their flexi-leashes away!  It was insane.  One man held a poofy, white dog in his arms that was literally yodeling and whining the entire time.  It was terrified.  It had a vest on with something written on the side, but I couldn't read it through his arms and the dog's thick fur.  Then there was a Chihuahua and a Pomeranian that nearly had a death-match throw-down at the counter because their owners weren't paying attention to where they were.  Ridiculous!  And my dear, sweet Mavis slept through all of it!

What?  I can't even imagine what a nightmare this would be for a fearful or even an Alpha dog.  Horton would be doing a lot of sitting, laying and staring.  My first dog, Brenda, would be doing a lot of "alerting", "on-guard", filled with stress and lip licking!  She was so diametrically opposed to Horton's personality.  She couldn't be around aggressive, noisy, poorly behaving dogs.  Where Horton is non-phased by poorly behaving dogs.

It's a gift to be able to control and be in the presence of a calm, assertive, well behaved dog.  To watch dogs that are exhibiting poor behavior is very sad and difficult to witness.

I would probably leave the area and cancel all my travel plans if I were asked to get in such a line.  Or, my training and dog handling skills would really come to the forefront.

38 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

Neither will my owner-trained service dog!!  There were hundreds of pigeons in a town square in Puerto Rico. A nice man gave my kids cracked corn to feed them.  Mavis wasn't bothered by them at all!

Mavis Pigeons2.png

Mavis Pigeons.png

Thank you so much for sharing this......What a good girl.  She has been taught to respect and leave alone these innocent birds.  I hope to meet this wonderful girl one day!

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I would probably leave the area and cancel all my travel plans if I were asked to get in such a line.  Or, my training and dog handling skills would really come to the forefront.

Canceling wasn't an option - my family would have had a conniption!  We were at the end of a long trip wanting to get back to Seattle!  It was more ridiculous to watch than it was upsetting.  Mavis didn't care at all.  And luckily all the dogs around us were under 40 pounds, so not really a threat.  My family was vigilant to keep the ones on retractable leashes (MAN, I don't like retractable leashes!) away from me and Mave.  I literally saw this white chihuahua stroll at least 15 FEET away from it's owner!  It was wrapping around the legs of the guy in line in front of it.  I thought that man was in their party at first!  And the little tan one was down right aggressive!

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.36.14 PM.png

Edited by Mavis and Me

5 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

Canceling wasn't an option - my family would have had a conniption!  We were at the end of a long trip wanting to get back to Seattle!  It was more ridiculous to watch than it was upsetting.  Mavis didn't care at all.  And luckily all the dogs around us were under 40 pounds, so not really a threat.  My family was vigilant to keep the ones on retractable leashes (MAN, I don't like retractable leashes!) away from me and Mave.  I literally saw this white chihuahua stroll at least 15 FEET away from it's owner!  It was wrapping around the legs of the guy in line in front of it.  I thought that man was in their party at first!  And the little tan one was down right aggressive!

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.36.14 PM.png

Poor little dogs, being put in situations that they obviously can not handle.    These two are the reasons that people like me have such a tough time in public. 

Horton would be told to "sit/stay" and we would both be witness to this nonsense!  The handlers are the moron's that I'm asked to deal with on a daily basis!

If I were in charge;  I would ask the person with the dog in the blue sweater to pick up her dog and if it were put down again it would have to be on a leash that did NOT extend.

I don't ever want to be unkind to anyone.  

If you want to take your self-trained dog into the public, your dog should not bark, whine, growl or lunge at anything or anyone. 

Your dog should remain calm, assertive and ready to assist YOU whenever you need him.

In order for your dog to be ready to behave well around other dogs/animals in general, and humans you MUST work with your dog on a daily basis. 

Having special treats ready when you're out and about is nice but it's a bit like letting the horse out after the barn door is closed.

You MUST work with your dog when your just sitting and reading or watching T.V., or walking to the mailbox, or going to the bathroom......You MUST work with your dog ALL THE TIME.  You MUST practice, practice, practice, have patience, patience, patience and ALWAYS be KIND AND GENTLE.  A well trained, well behaving Service Dog is a golden gift from God!

You should NEVER be allowed in public if your dog acts badly, no matter how much you may need him.  

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kmg365suzyq said:

She never whines, barks, growls or lunges.  We do practice and train.  I appreciate all the information everyone has given.  Since I have learned most of this on my own, it helps to hear from others.  Thank you all.

Thank you!  You serve as a wonderful example to those folks who need to increase their training and working with their dogs to enhance their behavior when out in public.  Hopefully we can make a difference to these people who need help in teaching, loving and training their dogs.

Working with our dogs daily is hard work but with consistency it does work.  Our dogs are more settled and happier beings when they have rules and boundaries that they MUST follow.

Before we had a SD, even for the several years we researched about them, training orgs, etc....we never realized that they continue to be a work in progress, even once they have learned the appropriate assistance and tasks.  Mickey has been with us for 2 years now, and although the bond between he and my daughter is stronger, he still tries to take a mile if she gives an inch, and with a cognitive disability, she does not always see negative behaviors quick enough to correct them (or even at all sometimes).  We still have her go through every single one of her commands with him every day, and there are definitely days when he isn’t the most focused SD.  We have much more trouble in the house versus outside.  Outside, he rarely gets distracted from work mode, or doesn’t respond to a quick tug for correction, but inside, the lines are a bit more blurred and the boundaries a little more lax.  Going through commands every day, in and out of the house, in different settings keeps both of them fresh and focusing on each other.  Just like police K-9’s, they must continually work on their commands so that it becomes second nature when they get a signal or verbal command.  

We have also experienced many other dogs on flights and going through security, and while I don’t have strong worries about our dog, I do worry about other dogs that don’t appear to be well trained, and the fact that ours would not fight back if faced with an altercation.  

1 hour ago, allies_daphne said:

Before we had a SD, even for the several years we researched about them, training orgs, etc....we never realized that they continue to be a work in progress, even once they have learned the appropriate assistance and tasks.  Mickey has been with us for 2 years now, and although the bond between he and my daughter is stronger, he still tries to take a mile if she gives an inch, and with a cognitive disability, she does not always see negative behaviors quick enough to correct them (or even at all sometimes).  We still have her go through every single one of her commands with him every day, and there are definitely days when he isn’t the most focused SD.  We have much more trouble in the house versus outside.  Outside, he rarely gets distracted from work mode, or doesn’t respond to a quick tug foUntir correction, but inside, the lines are a bit more blurred and the boundaries a little more lax.  Going through commands every day, in and out of the house, in different settings keeps both of them fresh and focusing on each other.  Just like police K-9’s, they must continually work on their commands so that it becomes second nature when they get a signal or verbal command.  

We have also experienced many other dogs on flights and going through security, and while I don’t have strong worries about our dog, I do worry about other dogs that don’t appear to be well trained, and the fact that ours would not fight back if faced with an altercation.  

Until the day that my first Service Dog passed away, at the age of 14, she had certain things that she refused to do or would only do after I asked her seven or eight times.  

Please remember, dogs are 2 years old emotionally, for the rest of their lives.  They never mature past 2 years.  Imagine dragging around a 100lb 2 year old for many, many years.  It's hard, hard work.  But, for me, so worth it!

He may be 2 years old but I'll be darned if he'll misbehave in public.  Not on my watch!!!!

11 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

I'm so happy that you are planning to enjoy the independence that your SD girl is able to give you!  Don't worry about any comments - people can be ignorant.  I'm constantly educating people about small service dogs because when they see how well behaved Mavis is, they feel this weird need to share their experiences with 'fakes'.  Inevitably, the conversation turns to 'little yappy dogs' or 'ankle biters' and how they are all fake.  I explain that the number ONE breed for medical alert (in a survey that I found a few months ago) is the Chihuahua!  I tell them that despite the small size, a Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Papillon, etc., is STILL A DOG!  They can still sense the same things that a Golden, Lab, or GSD can.  They still have the same keen sense of smell.  How much easier it would be to carry my SD around vs. trying to steer her 95 pound body through crowds!  I envy you and your cute SD!  Stay strong!

Some Hearing Dogs are quite small. My dog came from Dogs for the Deaf (now known asDogs for Better Lives). That organization often places “career change” Labradors like mine from Guide Dogs for the Blind with deaf clients after adding more training for sound alerts. And they have a breeding program for Labradors, too.

However a large number of their dogs come from shelters which the trainers visit up & down the West Coast of the US looking for likely candidates, and they are all sizes. The little dogs are trained to jump on their partner’s lap to alert for sounds. The bigger ones are trained to tap the partner’s leg with their nose.

When I got my Lab, I was surprised that I never had problems in public places (of course, she was calm and well-trained.) I remember that her trainer told me it was BECAUSE she was a Lab - that’s what people expect a service dog to look like. The clients with small dogs definitely get hassled more. Same skills, same good behavior. It’s not fair, but it is what it is.

Allies_daphne, trained dogs are definitely a work in progress.

My training org required that clients also do ongoing work with a local trainer after receiving the trained dog. They helped me identify the right trainer, and I went for many sessions the first year. It was really valuable in training ME, more than the dog, in how to handle her.

And it is so important that the handler is constantly reinforcing behavior and tasks. Even after six years, I will make my dog come back and start over again if she slips and goes out the door (off leash) without first getting a “free” command. And occasionally  practice her less common sound work (smoke detector, name call, and doorbell) periodically and give her lots of praise and a treat or toy for succeeding.

Those people with retractable leashes have no business being in airports! That’s just common sense, and it’s dangerous for everybody.

Most of the times, “rules” I’ve seen for public places (for example RV parks or campgrounds) state 6’ maximum leashes, and non-retractable. 

Caribbean Chris, we are so lucky to have our trainer local to us, and we have lifetime training as part of our contract.  Whenever my daughter is struggling with him, we go in for a couple of sessions.  He has also don’t some additional lengthy scent training with Mickey, where he kept him for 2 weeks.  He gets us a new letter every year, stating his currents tasks, and that he has been retested on them, as well as CGC.  He also helped us with potty box training, and just answering general questions by phone or by text.  

When we went on our 14 night cruise, with an extra 6 nights away from home, he had never worked that many days in a row, but he was perfect.  We could not have asked for him to be better.  He truly loves working and wants to be challenged.  He also still definitely acts like he’s 2 when you take the vest off, or when he gets up in The morning to eat - sounds like a herd of elephants he’s hopping around so much.  For this reason, only for sleeping did we take the vest off during the cruise - otherwise I’m sure the people below us would have heard a lot more noise!

On 1/4/2020 at 11:59 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I'd like to hear more about the AKC  Service Dog Registration Card.  Organizations like Canine Companions For Independence will advocate for the proper ID Card for all certified and well trained Service Dogs.  I hope that I'm still working with a SD and am around to see such positive things happen.

Until there is UNIVERSAL REGISTRATION and an ID CARD make sure that your dog acts appropriately in public at all times.

Not much has been announced, I think it's in the beginning stages still, but I'm hopeful that it will be good and something organizations can get behind!

He may be owner-trained, but my dog is trained to the level of CCI dogs! We recently were at a grocery store and had a large dog start lunging towards us and growling. It was on Bentley's side too, so thank goodness the owner had a good grip on the leash! Bentley didn't flinch and just looked at me confused and perfectly heeled away with me. I have the same concerns as you about untrained dogs! 

And maybe that dog was task trained, but if a dog can't handle the distraction of another dog, then they shouldn't be out in public!