Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

its My understanding that the USDA APHIS health certificate is required by Cruise ships to board, at least Carnival & NCL have required them from us, both email prior to cruise and upon boarding. I’d have it just in case, I like to be over prepared when traveling with my SD. 

1 hour ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

So we are packing for our first ceuuse with my daughters service dog..Thank you to everyone that has provided invaluable information to get everything taken care of as far as the permit from the Bahamas. Looks like we have everything covered but I did have 1 more question that my wife brought up. Am I going to need the USDA APHIS form to reenter the U.S.? My vet is wanting to complete the form but I cannot see anywhere written that this is needed for the Bahamas or for reentry into the U.S. I am going to the vet in the morning to have the Bahamas Health Certificate completed and I am wanting to ensure that I do not need anything else for our return.  Again, thanks to everyone for their input. 

The health certificate is the main document you need. They will not let you board without it. 

6 hours ago, rangeley said:

Yesterday my son and his wife came up for our Christmas together. We had a great day. As many of you know, I have the grandpuppy from hell. Oakland and him only met once for a very short time and it didn't go well. I was anticipating that Forrey (Forrest), as I call him, would spend the day in his kennel. Well I was wrong. The two of them had a ball! Besides some humping, they got along great. They played til they couldn't play no more. It was great. Don't get me wrong, Forrey had a few time outs, but Oak actually initiated most of the play. I was pleasantly surprised. We actually got them to stay still long enough for a few pics. 

IMG_0394~2.jpg

FullSizeR_04.jpg

They're very cute together........Hello marshmellow nose........I love you! 🥰

55 minutes ago, rangeley said:

The health certificate is the main document you need. They will not let you board without it. 

Yep!  This is true.  It's very easy to get.  Your Vet will have it and can fill it out for you and make sure he/she signs it!  Make a few copies to hand to registration and to Immigration, if requested.

Agree with everybody else. Get the APHIS 7001 Health Certificate and, of course, the rabies certificate. The cruise line will expect to see both upon boarding.

Even though you can drive in and out of Canada without the dog being even looked at by officials, I still get a health certificate for flights and cruises to Canada. It’s a basic document that gives the personnel something “official” along with most recent rabies certificate.

Happy Weekend Everyone!  Where I live, here in L.A., I have a fabulous view of the surrounding mountains that are full of snow right now.  It snowed down to the 2,000 foot level, which is pretty low for my area and is a beautiful sight to see.  It's so cold right here, if it rained it would snow.  For all of you who live in cold a lot I know it can be a hardship.  I wish you warmth and safety. 

Please remember to bring your animals in so they can be warm and cozy too!

The next time we write it will be the New Year........2020......The start of new vision for all of us! 😘

• Like 1

Happy Holidays to everyone. We just returned from our family Christmas Cruise on the Carnival Liberty. So I will start with the good from the trip. This was the first cruise we took with my daughters service dog. This was an eye opener as far as how he would be on a cruise. Teddy seemed to enjoy the cruise for the most part. We as a whole enjoyed ourselves. The crew was very helpful during the cruise. They were very accommodating in how they treated us from embarkation to debatkation. Teddy was able to explore Nassau and Princess Cay which we had no issues getting off of the ship due to the information we received from everyone here. So the one part of the cruise that was stressful was that Teddy out of 4 days on a ship only used the potty area 2 times. He held until he got off the ship and then he went to the bathroom 2 or 3 times. The only complaint we had was the area they had placed the potty on the 3rd deck where people could be at. All in all we shall see about our future ceuise in July and hopefully we can go with us now. 

John

IMG_79551.jpg

• Like 1

What a handsome boy!!  Mavis didn't like the potty box much either - she still used it regularly, but I could tell by the second day that there was another service dog on board our cruise!  She'd walk up to it and literally SHUDDER!!  ;)  She was so grossed out by the whole thing.  (She really REALLY hates the ones at the airports - they are always NASTY!!)  I recommend that, if possible, the owners of this dog make him a potty box at home so he can get used to using it.  If he is taken to use the box on-leash for a couple of weeks, and that is his ONLY option for going potty, he'll make it a habit to recognize one forever more.  Start with a substance he likes to potty on, say, gravel, or grass.  Then, when he gets the 'trick' of going potty in that square box, then start adding a small amount of shavings, pellets, bark, etc., so that the substance inside the box isn't a big deal.  Some dogs take to this training really quickly; Mavis was cool with all of it from the get-go because we raised her from a puppy to potty on command.  My daughter's rescued Doberman will hold her poop for DAYS when we take her in the RV.  It finally comes down to either forcing her to swim, or running her alongside a bicycle, in order to get her to finally let it go!  

7 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

Happy Holidays to everyone. We just returned from our family Christmas Cruise on the Carnival Liberty. So I will start with the good from the trip. This was the first cruise we took with my daughters service dog. This was an eye opener as far as how he would be on a cruise. Teddy seemed to enjoy the cruise for the most part. We as a whole enjoyed ourselves. The crew was very helpful during the cruise. They were very accommodating in how they treated us from embarkation to debatkation. Teddy was able to explore Nassau and Princess Cay which we had no issues getting off of the ship due to the information we received from everyone here. So the one part of the cruise that was stressful was that Teddy out of 4 days on a ship only used the potty area 2 times. He held until he got off the ship and then he went to the bathroom 2 or 3 times. The only complaint we had was the area they had placed the potty on the 3rd deck where people could be at. All in all we shall see about our future ceuise in July and hopefully we can go with us now. 

John

IMG_79551.jpg

Such a handsome dog.  I have found Carnival to be very helpful when it comes to our dogs.  They will allow the pottybox on your veranda.  You just have to insist on it.  

The more Teddy uses a potty box at home the more used to using a potty box he will become.  And, going in one onboard a cruise ship will be no problem.   Carnival uses the best boxes; pre-made and purchased online.  They're made of metal, lined with plastic and filled with mulch. 

For your home box you can buy whatever filler you like best.  Lowe's sells [wood shavings], in bulk, you can cover whatever you choose with artificial turf, or, if the mulch is easy to walk on, use it straight from the container.  And, practice, practice, practice.  My dogs ONLY USE A POTTY BOX AT HOME.  It makes them to be the best travelers when cruising.

My suggestion is to check on the filler that is being used by the ship, before you ask the dog to use it, if it hurts the dog's paws they will refuse to step on it, because it hurts.  I ALWAYS bring rolled-up artificial turf to cover whatever the cruiselines use.  I buy it at Lowe's in 4x4 sections, I cut drainage holes in it, fold it up and bring a fresh sheet in my suitcase. 

The first thing I do is lay the plastic turf over whatever the ship is using as filler and then ask my dog to go potty.  It travels very easily and my dogs NEVER refuse to step on it. 

Traveling with our dogs is really up to us to make it fun for them too!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

What a handsome boy!!  Mavis didn't like the potty box much either - she still used it regularly, but I could tell by the second day that there was another service dog on board our cruise!  She'd walk up to it and literally SHUDDER!! 😉  She was so grossed out by the whole thing.  (She really REALLY hates the ones at the airports - they are always NASTY!!)  I recommend that, if possible, the owners of this dog make him a potty box at home so he can get used to using it.  If he is taken to use the box on-leash for a couple of weeks, and that is his ONLY option for going potty, he'll make it a habit to recognize one forever more.  Start with a substance he likes to potty on, say, gravel, or grass.  Then, when he gets the 'trick' of going potty in that square box, then start adding a small amount of shavings, pellets, bark, etc., so that the substance inside the box isn't a big deal.  Some dogs take to this training really quickly; Mavis was cool with all of it from the get-go because we raised her from a puppy to potty on command.  My daughter's rescued Doberman will hold her poop for DAYS when we take her in the RV.  It finally comes down to either forcing her to swim, or running her alongside a bicycle, in order to get her to finally let it go!  

I totally agree with you about the more they use the box, the more comfortable they become.

It's all about consistency and praise, and takes some extra work and diligence on our part.  It means we have to do a lot of pre-planning and thinking before we travel with our dogs.  We have to give them time to go to the bathroom within their comfort zone before we travel and place them in a situation where we force them to have to think "outside the box!"

Before we get in the car and head for the cruise dock I allow Horton to fully relieve himself and I stop along the way and shortly before I know we're going to board and he'll be asked to hold it in for longer than he's used to!  I did the same when we were flying to our destinations or before we boarded a bus or train.

7 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Such a handsome dog.  I have found Carnival to be very helpful when it comes to our dogs.  They will allow the pottybox on your veranda.  You just have to insist on it.  

The more Teddy uses a potty box at home the more used to using a potty box he will become.  And, going in one onboard a cruise ship will be no problem.   Carnival uses the best boxes; pre-made and purchased online.  They're made of metal, lined with plastic and filled with mulch. 

For your home box you can buy whatever filler you like best.  Lowe's sells [wood shavings], in bulk, you can cover whatever you choose with artificial turf, or, if the mulch is easy to walk on, use it straight from the container.  And, practice, practice, practice.  My dogs ONLY USE A POTTY BOX AT HOME.  It makes them to be the best travelers when cruising.

My suggestion is to check on the filler that is being used by the ship, before you ask the dog to use it, if it hurts the dog's paws they will refuse to step on it, because it hurts.  I ALWAYS bring rolled-up artificial turf to cover whatever the cruiselines use.  I buy it at Lowe's in 4x4 sections, I cut drainage holes in it, fold it up and bring a fresh sheet in my suitcase. 

The first thing I do is lay the plastic turf over whatever the ship is using as filler and then ask my dog to go potty.  It travels very easily and my dogs NEVER refuse to step on it. 

Traveling with our dogs is really up to us to make it fun for them too!!!!

The first cruise we took with my daughters service dog, he also struggled with the potty box.  He would pee in it, but did not want to poop.  This was a short cruise (4 nights), so we managed, using ports for him to go.  He did have one accident (poop) walking to the potty box.  This past November, we took a 14 night cruise, so we knew we had work to do.  Our SD’a trainer recommended just what this board does - make a potty box, and USE IT all the time.  We used a crate tray and lined it with a garbage bag, then potty pads, then sod.  We did this weekly and moved it around our property, so he would not be used to only one spot.  It took a few weeks, but soon he was going TO the potty box, and doing both ‘businesses’ in it.  
When we boarded the ship, we all he’d a collective breath the first time we took him to the box (Disney puts their boxes on deck 4 Aft, under a stairwell on the walking/jogging path, so lots of traffic).  He was PERFECT.  Not one issue with the box.  So, don’t be discouraged - some work at home will help tremendously, and the potty box will soon be one less cruise stressor!

Denise

On 12/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Happy Weekend Everyone!  Where I live, here in L.A., I have a fabulous view of the surrounding mountains that are full of snow right now.  It snowed down to the 2,000 foot level, which is pretty low for my area and is a beautiful sight to see.  It's so cold right here, if it rained it would snow.  For all of you who live in cold a lot I know it can be a hardship.  I wish you warmth and safety. 

Please remember to bring your animals in so they can be warm and cozy too!

The next time we write it will be the New Year........2020......The start of new vision for all of us! 😘

Get out your skiis!!! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

John

IMG_79551.jpg

16 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

What a cutie!!! Our dog also had potty box problems on his first cruise in May. He went 28 hours with no pee and even longer for pooping. We parked in Bermuda for 3 days so he got to go often off the ship. On the way home from Bermuda, he did his business in the box. But it was a struggle. We wondered if he was going to be a cruising dog or we'd have to give it up.

When we were planning this LA cruise in November, we figured we would have another sd there and maybe Horty could pee in the box and Oakland would get the hint. Luckily for us, he took to the box immediately. Something clicked. Maybe because it was mulch and not grass that was in the last box. For whatever reason he went. Now we are going next week and I'm pretty confident he will be fine. But I'm still crossing my fingers. When I booked this cruise, I made sure the first day was a port day just in case. 

So we went to have his vet check and get the health certificate on Thursday. We wanted to get off at Amber Cove, Dominican so we needed the USDA digital signature, which we have never gotten before. Since we are not getting there until the 9th, thats the date they saw and since its more than 10 days out they rejected it. Ugh!! So now Monday the vet has to call and try to fix it. I'm not really worried, if we can't get off no big deal. Bahamas permit was a breeze. I don't really understand this USDA thing. They don't see the dog to make sure its healthy. They are just signing off what the vet says. Kind of stupid if you ask me. 

Has anyone traveled to Mexico since December 16?! Apparently they are not requiring any health documentation and are only doing physical examinations before arriving. I'm very confused and Carnival had no idea this changed so they were unhelpful. 
The APHIS website says:

Effective 12/16/2019: A health certificate for dogs and cats is no longer needed to enter Mexico. Dogs and cats may be taken to the border without health certificate documentation, they will be inspected by SENASICA upon arrival. Please follow the guidance on this page.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-mexico

I'm just not sure how this will work for a cruise and if everyone is going to be aware or if I need to get a health certificate printed out anyway... I've cruised four other times, but this is my first trip with a service dog and I'm just getting more worried as our debarkation date approaches (January 13th!).

Edited by maddieking
  • Like 1

Potty Boxes: MurphySD is a “potty holder” when we travel. Car, camping, Cruise ship, he KNOWS he’s going somewhere. He loves to travel, but will hold pooping to once a day or every two days, for the first couple days and won’t drink as much water as normally,  till he knows the “routine”. He’s offered water regularly but refuses to drink very much while in the car, once we arrive and settle into hotel room he drinks normally and picks his potty spot outside.  He’s gotten better the more we’ve travelled, once we arrive at our destination, campgrounds or cruise ship, he gets used to where his potty area is and feels more comfortable going there, he even leads me to it once were on that deck. I always take him from each direction so he knows where potty box is and the exits on each deck since that’s one of his tasks. I also bring artificial turf but we haven’t used it yet, it’s peace of mind for me to have options for his comfort. I also bring his blankets, toys and life vest (NCL is requiring us to bring one). I have a photo of him sitting next to potty box on Carnival Inspiration but I don’t know how to load it here. I don’t use online photo companies. 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:49 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I also bring "caution" tape in my purse and will rope off the area he's laying in, if necessary. 

Great idea! My Jazz is all legs and for some (standard Poodle) reason likes to lay down in the middle of the door way or the isle. He is all legs and more than once I have had to physically pull him out of the way by his jacket, even tho' he knows the command to "move over".  Sometimes getting it across to him that he should do more than stand up and go down in the same spot is difficult!