Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well I'll probably bore you all with photos in the next couple of days. Jagger is packing his overnight bag, and will come stay with me tomorrow! Not sure how long I get him for, hoping it's at least for two days.

That's how my organization likes to do it with placed dogs. Ease them in. Fortunately Jagger knows me well as I get to see him every weekend.

A Go-Pro....hmmmmmm

I am pretty sure I may have told you all, Jagger has his own FB page. Just search for "Jagger the Service Dog". This month, the organization is doing a dog-of-the-day with their theme song. Not sure when Jagger's day will be. Today is his friend Tabbris who is a very "smooth: (hint) yellow lab girl. (a very big girl - LOL)

Holly

Holly, it so interesting how each Org. does everything so differently. I hope all goes well for both of you!

Glad I checked - fun posts today! A nice break from the last ten days of packing to move to Florida....

Sutter is an adorable little tough guy. Really looking forward to following his progress in the months ahead.

I love that Jagger is "packing his overnight bag" to visit Holly. I'm envisioning Jagger with saddlebags setting out on foot. Reminded me of when Raylene's trainer at Dogs for the Deaf emailed that she was "packing Raylene's things" to fly cross country. She still has her comfort blanket made by volunteers and still plays with some of her toy things she brought east.

I'm holding off though on packing Raylene's things until just before the movers come, and I won't wash that blankie so it smells like home. Luckily, we'll be in our RV during the transition en route to Fla., and it is a very familiar place for her. All of her stuff can travel with us.

Fairbourne, your mission is to figure out how to post Aruba's GoPro footage somewhere for viewing!

Well I'll probably bore you all with photos in the next couple of days. Jagger is packing his overnight bag, and will come stay with me tomorrow! Not sure how long I get him for, hoping it's at least for two days.

That's how my organization likes to do it with placed dogs. Ease them in. Fortunately Jagger knows me well as I get to see him every weekend.

A Go-Pro....hmmmmmm

I am pretty sure I may have told you all, Jagger has his own FB page. Just search for "Jagger the Service Dog". This month, the organization is doing a dog-of-the-day with their theme song. Not sure when Jagger's day will be. Today is his friend Tabbris who is a very "smooth" (hint) yellow lab girl. (a very big girl - LOL)

Holly

Holly,

You must be so excited - I hope he can stay over as long as possible.

Dianne

Exactly my thoughts, thephantomsgirl!

Well we are going on a cruise about 6 weeks after Aruba goes, that is if she goes in July! I've told her she has to go, August at the latest, as I'm not postponing another holiday! ;) :rolleyes:

I know that other puppy walkers in our group when they found out their pup was going into school in August, went and booked a cruise for a few days after she goes and another, when her pup went in, she flew immediately out to visit her daughter.

It seems they don't want to be in an "empty" no pup house - and I can truly understand that! Thank goodness I've got Max and Poppy here!

So,DKD, when you get back, you will get the report you've been waiting for about how Davis is getting on? I'm going to be terrible wanting to know how Aruba is doing, I just know it! I will have to be patient!

I must tell you this quickly - my DH has bought one of those tiny GoPro cameras and he's also got the dog harness attachment for it - so we had great fun yesterday trying it on all the dogs. All of them were quite happy to wear it as they are all used to harnesses and of course, Aruba wears her coat. He got some film from Poppy's "eye view", so I am going to practise with it on Aruba and try and get a film from a Guide Dog Puppy's view of life. It was quite strange seeing our house and around our garden from a dog's eye level! And what Poppy looks at when she sits for ages staring out of the front gate - absolutely nothing!!!

I hope you can figure out how to post the GOPro footage. That would be great to see.

Dianne

Anyone having trouble with the user prefrences ? I can't get rid of countdown thing.

I think it happened to me once and I got the help of the tech. guru's.......go into the UserCp and it will tell you how to get a hold of them and they'll fix you right up.

Anyone having trouble with the user prefrences ? I can't get rid of countdown thing.

I think it happened to me once and I got the help of the tech. guru's.......go into the UserCp and it will tell you how to get a hold of them and they'll fix you right up.

Howdy to all reading this thread and my post! emo22.gif

To remove an expired countdown clock, you will find the instructions in the Sticky thread titled How to delete countdown clock/ticker? at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23576144 on the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163.

For additional information to all about signatures, please note the following that appears in the Posting & You! section of the Guidelines:

Signatures

Cruise Critic has the following suggestions for keeping your online signatures manageable:

- Keep your images to around three (approx) -- which would include a picture, clipart, photo or your countdown.

- Try not to have any one image that is TOO large, which then takes additional time for your fellow members to download,

- If you have a LONG LIST of prior cruises, think about chopping off some, OR rearrange them horizontally rather than vertically;

- From time to time, browse through your signature and eliminate any extra blank lines, or old countdown codes, etc.

Remember, not everyone is speeding along on DSL or cable modems, super-fast processors etc. so keeping your signature to a reasonable length will help speed all of us along! Cruise Critic reserves the right to remove/delete portions of your online signature and will let you know that we've had to resize your online signature.

Also to all reading this post, please note the following portion of the Announcement that is usually posted by the Community Manager around this time of the year titled Time for Spring Cleaning! Spruce up your signature!:

"... Tips

For those of you who don't want to see signatures, you can edit your options (Quick Links) so that you no longer see everyone's signatures etc.

Did You Know? When posting a reply in a thread you always have the option of turning OFF your signature. This is helpful if you've already posted in that thread before. To do this, simply uncheck the box next to Show Signature on the reply window.

Hosts will be "strolling" around viewing signatures and, if yours is too long, we will either contact you and/or alter out anything "old, dead or outdated".

Laura"

If anyone reading this post sees a signature you feel violates the Guidelines, please feel free to click the Report Post icon report.gif in the upper right corner on the post you want to report so the Report Post screen will open. Type your message in the Report Post text box then click the Send Report button.

A Report Post e-mail will be generated for review to all unpaid volunteer Hosts/Moderators assigned to the forum, or all paid Staff members if there are no volunteer Hosts/Moderators assigned. The e-mail will automatically show the information they must have such as the forum name, post title & link, thread title & link as well as your message.

The unpaid volunteer Hosts/Moderators assigned to the forum or paid Staff members will review your message when they can. I say "when they can" because all e-mails and Report Post e-mails to Cruise Critic are answered in order of receipt. Please note we volunteer Hosts/Moderators are on the boards as our real lives permit. The paid Staff works regular weekday business hours. With 1,273,194 members as I type this reply and e-mails being received 24/7 from all over the world, please be patient for possible action.

I sincerely hope all this information will be helpful to all reading this thread and glad to have you all aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Kat emo32.gif

We're sitting on the couch and I showed Raylene the photo of Pumpkin Face aka Sutter. She wagged her tail, reached out, slid her paw on the ipad, and made the image bigger! I swear I didn't make that up!

Interesting that the breeder gave the pups pumpkin. I swear by it, keep a couple of cans around the house for any problems, and even take along on cruises.

(Raylene doesn't wear her pumpkin as well as Sutter does, though!:D)

OK...so I lied. One more. Sutter and his siblings had some tummy troubles last night so they all had some pumpkin for dinner. I guess he's a messy eater!

f5107138-d5d9-480c-bbe2-83f371ddd5a2.jpg

Oh! No! Dang pumpkin, painted my face orange!!!!!

That's the ONLY bad thing about being a Yellow Lab; dirt just loves to show up! The Black Labs have a very sneaky way of hiding lots of things on that black fur!!!!!

A Go-Pro....hmmmmmm

I am pretty sure I may have told you all, Jagger has his own FB page. Just search for "Jagger the Service Dog". This month, the organization is doing a dog-of-the-day with their theme song. Not sure when Jagger's day will be. Today is his friend Tabbris who is a very "smooth" (hint) yellow lab girl. (a very big girl - LOL)

Holly

Bore us all please with plenty of photos! LOL!

Have fun with your special boy - :D

Dianne - We are still trying to figure this GoPro out, it's not the easiest thing but before she goes there will be a film and I will post it. :).

Someone posted this on the Celebrity Cruises forum section regarding pending Florida legislation:

"Fake service dog bill goes to governor

June 1, 2015 | Filed in: 2015 Bills.

A bill that punishes owners of fake service dogs and protects those with invisible disabilities who use a service animals has been sent to to the governor for his signature.

Although much of the bill, HB 71, reiterates rights and rules included in the Americans with Disabilities Act, it also makes misrepresenting your pet as a service animal or harassing a disabled person with a service dog a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by 30 hours of community service for an organization that assists the disabled or other group decided by a judge. The community service must be completed within six months.

If Gov. Rick Scott has not signed or vetoed the bill by June 16, it will automatically become law. The law becomes effective on July 1."

This is great news for me since we are moving to Florida, which coincidentally is the only public place where I have ever been hassled. We entered a restaurant near Melbourne Beach where the owner demanded an ID card (I have a photo ID from Dogs for the Deaf and produced it rather than argue.) We were seated in the almost-empty place, and could see through the window that the owner went across the parking lot and walked all around our car - maybe looking for some non-existent waste on her property that she could use as "evidence" to eject my dog from her run-down premises. Raylene of course just sat quietly by my feet the whole time. A very strange experience.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I know the organization Jagger comes from swears by pumpkin and yogurt.

It was a fun first day. I let him sniff the whole yard, front and back, plus the patio before bringing him inside. My parents were gone but came home while we were sitting out on the front porch. So he got to meet them, and then Bear.

So far, so good with Bear and Jagger. Bear isn't too interested but is not put out at all. He's 14 years old so that's good.

And would you believe I have a golden who doesn't seem to like water? Is not interested in the pool. (will teach pool safety and rules to him) He also did NOT want to go out in the rain....

Slept okay, but he did have to go outside twice in the night. Probably to make up for when he would not go out earlier.

He's watching me type this....

Holly

Jezzy Lou gets a dollup of pumpkin in her breakfast and dinner. I also swear by it. I was giving her rice until I found out it has trace amounts of arsenic in it. Even a trace amount was too much for me. She loves her pumpkin and of course coconut oil, mix with her dry food.

Someone posted this on the Celebrity Cruises forum section regarding pending Florida legislation:

"Fake service dog bill goes to governor

June 1, 2015 | Filed in: 2015 Bills.

A bill that punishes owners of fake service dogs and protects those with invisible disabilities who use a service animals has been sent to to the governor for his signature.

Although much of the bill, HB 71, reiterates rights and rules included in the Americans with Disabilities Act, it also makes misrepresenting your pet as a service animal or harassing a disabled person with a service dog a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by 30 hours of community service for an organization that assists the disabled or other group decided by a judge. The community service must be completed within six months.

If Gov. Rick Scott has not signed or vetoed the bill by June 16, it will automatically become law. The law becomes effective on July 1."

This is great news for me since we are moving to Florida, which coincidentally is the only public place where I have ever been hassled. We entered a restaurant near Melbourne Beach where the owner demanded an ID card (I have a photo ID from Dogs for the Deaf and produced it rather than argue.) We were seated in the almost-empty place, and could see through the window that the owner went across the parking lot and walked all around our car - maybe looking for some non-existent waste on her property that she could use as "evidence" to eject my dog from her run-down premises. Raylene of course just sat quietly by my feet the whole time. A very strange experience.

Hey Chris - doesn't NC already have a law similar to the pending Florida one? Did you have to register Raylene with NC Dept of Health and Human Services?...just curious as I have been quoting the NC regs on some other threads.

thanks and I wish you and Raylene the best of luck in your new state!

Keith (and Lucy)

Edited by alexspepa

Hey Chris - doesn't NC already have a law similar to the pending Florida one? Did you have to register Raylene with NC Dept of Health and Human Services?...just curious as I have been quoting the NC regs on some other threads.

thanks and I wish you and Raylene the best of luck in your new state!

Keith (and Lucy)

Yes, you're right, NC does have a law for the part about businesses denying entry, but I can't recall anything about penalties for fake dogs. I've packed my little 50-state law summary book, or I'd look it up!

The state registration wasn't a requirement, but when the trainer was here delivering Raylene for her week with me in NC, we downloaded the application so she could fill in key parts and sign it. I'm glad we did, because the state sent a registration tag and a letter which I have included with my cruise paperwork. I don't think Florida has a similar state registration.

Holly, do you know?

So far there is no registration in Florida.

Florida goes a bit beyond the ADA Federal laws, plus gives full rights to service dogs in training.

I know the hotel I will be staying in before my Panama Canal cruise in Fort Lauderdale told the travel agent who arranged the group rates that I needed to bring my "service dog" papers. Of course legally they cannot do that.

However, this hotel does allow dogs but charges a cleaning fee. Of course they cannot do that for a service dog, so maybe they think that's how they need to ascertain the diffrence. At the moment there are no registrations. My organization does give picture id's of both the handler and the dog on a laminated badge. I'll probably show that to just avoid a hassle while gently educating them.