Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Lol! I go from launching a teen to a young adult to getting a new teenager who will never grow up. :)

The youngest was at home when I walked in for lunch. I live half a block from the campus where I work and he attends college. He no longer lives at home.

I knew he was home because the door was unlocked. Scooter recognized the signs and started wagging his tail as I started to open the door. I had to get that vest off him and release him fast so he could see his Buddy.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I leave home Saturday for Miami. Annual girl's cruise (middle aged women mostly) that leaves Miami Monday for a 4 day Caribbean cruise, Key West and Cozumel.

Halo hasn't done a cruise yet. I thought he might go, but my husband insists that Halo's first cruise is with both of us. So, my husband changed his hunting week so he will be back to take care of Halo. Not a lot of people I trust caring for him. He will be at a friends for one night.

Linda and Halo

Have a great time Linda! ;p

Hey Everyone - just wanted to take a minute mid-cruise to say that we are having a great time; and yes Fairbourne I am taking full advantage of the drink package!

That's my boy! Ha ha ! :cool:

The food in the main dining room and the buffet has been very good - on Saturday they had whole roast suckling pig that was delicious - I actually went back an hour later to get more. Yesterday on the buffet they had grilled Alaska salmon - you could get it cooked to whatever temp you wanted and my medium-rare was perfect.

Last night we saw maybe the best show I have seen in 30 years of cruising - it was a group of four young guys singing Frankie Valli songs and they really engaged the crowd.

I love Frankie Valli songs - I could go to see the Jersey Boys show every week! We had a fantastic Beaties Tribute on our last cruise - everyone was up dancing!

Had a disappointing experience with another passenger during the slot pull yesterday that I will share when I get back - right now I just don't want to talk about it because I will get mad all over again.

Don't get mad, get even! ;p

Anyway we are really enjoying the Equinox and I am getting ready to go up top as we sail into Aruba...talk to you later!

One day we really have to get to Aruba, the island called after our beautiful girl!

I'm booked and all my vacation time is spoken for through May 2019. Isn't that pitiful?

I have been sailing Celebrity exclusively because of their strict smoking policies.

They have that very tempting and off limits lawn on the S-Class ships, though.

Lol! I go from launching a teen to a young adult to getting a new teenager who will never grow up. :)

The youngest was at home when I walked in for lunch. I live half a block from the campus where I work and he attends college. He no longer lives at home.

I knew he was home because the door was unlocked. Scooter recognized the signs and started wagging his tail as I started to open the door. I had to get that vest off him and release him fast so he could see his Buddy.

No being can send us off and welcome us home with such sincerity and genuine love than a dog! :hearteyes:

I'm really looking forward to hearing your experiences. We are not planning to take Scooter in either December or February at this point. DH is really nervous about doing so.

I make sure to keep Henri away from the lawn just in case she might be tempted to take a quick pit stop. Its too bad that Celebrity can't grow a separate patch of grass for the service dogs.

Dianne

Bring it on..I really don't care where we go.....It would be fun just to see all the Service Dogs in one place having fun with each other. And, the folks without SD's who can't keep their hands off our dogs. I say let it be a "free-for-all!" We find an empty lounge, bring in some tennis balls and let the games begin! :p

Horton loves dogs, he thinks they're so silly!

How fun would that be? Henri loves playing with other dogs. So far, she has been the only dog on our cruises.

Dianne

Well, let's start brainstorming. What's the best port for everyone to leave out of? I know we have people from all over on here.

Next, is there a preference in cruiselines?

We prefer Celebrity too, but would be open to other cruise lines. I do strongly prefer a newer ship because we have found the older ships are not as accessible.

Dianne

I'm booked and all my vacation time is spoken for through May 2019. Isn't that pitiful?

I have been sailing Celebrity exclusively because of their strict smoking policies.

They have that very tempting and off limits lawn on the S-Class ships, though.

I'm also booked for Dec. 4, 2018 onboard the Emerald Princess -15 days-Hawaii, and Feb 18, 2019 onboard the Ruby Princess-10 days- Sea of Cortez [this cruise has the beverage package, couldn't resist.]

Now, let's see where Barb is going and between us maybe we can find something that more of us would like to do. Barb, give us more info. on your cruises.

Both of my cruises leave out of L.A. The Sea of Cortez is an easy cruise for Service Dogs [requirements are not as strict as Hawaii and the cruise is not as long!]

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I make sure to keep Henri away from the lawn just in case she might be tempted to take a quick pit stop. Its too bad that Celebrity can't grow a separate patch of grass for the service dogs.

Dianne

The truth of the matter is that every single cruise line out there could either grow a lawn or provide a large box with artificial turf for our Service Dogs but the demand is so low and the upkeep so high that it really doesn't pay for them to do this. I totally understand.

I'm going this evening to purchase the artificial turf for Horton's upcoming cruises. I left the last one I brought onboard because I just didn't feel like schlepping it home. Gotta make it easy on ourselves!

Horton loves the artificial stuff and it is capable of hiding a myriad of "stuff" that the ship might choose for the box. It also [when laid on top of some wee-wee pads] can be used as a temporary potty box on your patio until the ship sets-up the box. They always promise that they'll have it ready.......9 times out of 10 they're NOT ready and I'm not going to get upset anymore, I'm ready and......I'm on vacation! :rolleyes:

I'm also booked for Dec. 4, 2018 onboard the Emerald Princess -15 days-Hawaii, and Feb 18, 2019 onboard the Ruby Princess-10 days- Sea of Cortez [this cruise has the beverage package, couldn't resist.]

Now, let's see where Barb is going and between us maybe we can find something that more of us would like to do. Barb, give us more info. on your cruises.

Both of my cruises leave out of L.A. The Sea of Cortez is an easy cruise for Service Dogs [requirements are not as strict as Hawaii and the cruise is not as long!]

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I'm booked on Celebrity Silhouette for Feb 2019 on a 12 night Caribbean. It will include a number of places we've never been.

I'm merely thinking we will need to plan for winter 2019-2020, because some of us are already scheduled before that. Where doesn't matter as much to me. I cruise to get away from the cold in winter! Missouri is full of ice!

I have to fly, unless we go out of Mobile, AL or New Orleans, LA.

Update on the Napa and Sonoma Valley fires. CCI has decided in a pre-cautionary move to evacuate its Santa Rosa campus. They are moving about 100 dogs in training south to the San Francisco area. Unfortunately, they have staff and puppy raisers who have lost their homes.

Update on the Napa and Sonoma Valley fires. CCI has decided in a pre-cautionary move to evacuate its Santa Rosa campus. They are moving about 100 dogs in training south to the San Francisco area. Unfortunately, they have staff and puppy raisers who have lost their homes.

Oh, dear. I saw their Facebook posts about their careful monitoring of the situation. I can't imagine moving all those pups and their needs. Think how big a task it is to take just one dog anywhere and multiply by 100!

I've also been worrying about you after seeing the sudden and unbelievable decimation of whole neighborhoods on the news yesterday. At least with hurricanes, we have days to prepare.

Dianne

I'm always nervous about taking Raylene up to the deck with the grass, too. The Celebrity party was up there once in a restaurant, and I really hustled her along the sidewalks fast!

On our Eclipse cruise last December, the grass was very brown in large patches, and roped off to keep any passengers from walking on it. Maybe they needed some doggies to help water!

Hey Everyone - just wanted to take a minute mid-cruise to say that we are having a great time; and yes Fairbourne I am taking full advantage of the drink package!

The food in the main dining room and the buffet has been very good - on Saturday they had whole roast suckling pig that was delicious - I actually went back an hour later to get more. Yesterday on the buffet they had grilled Alaska salmon - you could get it cooked to whatever temp you wanted and my medium-rare was perfect.

Last night we saw maybe the best show I have seen in 30 years of cruising - it was a group of four young guys singing Frankie Valli songs and they really engaged the crowd.

Had a disappointing experience with another passenger during the slot pull yesterday that I will share when I get back - right now I just don't want to talk about it because I will get mad all over again.

Anyway we are really enjoying the Equinox and I am getting ready to go up top as we sail into Aruba...talk to you later!

So glad you are having fun, Keith! (We won't tell Lucy.;))

It does seem like many of us are booked through and into 2019! I'm thinking of an Alaskan cruise in 2019 myself.

By then I will definitely want to travel other lines than just Disney and Carnival. I want to go for the accreditations I can get with CLIA (travel agent organization) To get to the upper levels one has to travel on several cruiselines.

I have tears in my eyes.......Santa Rosa is the main office for CCI. It's where I got my first Service Dog ["Brenda"] and where I got "Horton." It holds more than a special place in my heart and soul.

The PuppyRaisers and the staff are so, so important to CCI. I wish I could do more. I will send money to help alleviate some of the costs that will be involved in all that they have to do to keep the 100 dogs safe and sound.

Everyone will pull together and help each other, because that's what "dog people" do! Please say a special prayer for those who lost their homes and must start all over again. And, a very, very special prayer for the dogs who will be feeling displaced......I know that the staff and volunteers will do as much as they can to help the dogs through this. Labs and Golden's are a very special breed.......they can be moved from hither and nigh and come out of it with smiles on their faces.......Hang tough, we love you all and send our very best wishes for a quick recovery!!!!! ♥

Oh, dear. I saw their Facebook posts about their careful monitoring of the situation. I can't imagine moving all those pups and their needs. Think how big a task it is to take just one dog anywhere and multiply by 100!

I've also been worrying about you after seeing the sudden and unbelievable decimation of whole neighborhoods on the news yesterday. At least with hurricanes, we have days to prepare.

We are fine here - far enough away not to be in any danger. The smoke is terrible - today we can't even see the sky or the sun. I am going to have to keep Henri inside.

Dianne

We are fine here - far enough away not to be in any danger. The smoke is terrible - today we can't even see the sky or the sun. I am going to have to keep Henri inside.

Dianne

Yes, staying inside is a good idea. I'm so glad you're safe.

My daughter, in Oregon, says it's pouring rain there, hopefully the rain will be moving down the coast and bring some very welcomed relief to everyone.

I can't help but feel a deep sadness for those who lost their homes and the frightening experience that all are enduring during these wildfires.

CCI will need lots of help to get through this and to maintain the safety and security of their beautiful dogs. It's a huge task......the staff will truly be tested through it all. I send my very best wishes to keep up their strength and energy and to be safe!