Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So sorry to hear about your fur babies - so heartbreaking to lose a beloved family member.

Have a great time on your cruise. I always do the same thing with Celebrity - take a copy of the paperwork showing the perks. So far I haven't had any problems.

Dianne

thank you Dianne

Cruise itinerary changes came out today and we finally know our new ports. I'm Canadian and will be driving down to sail out of New York.

We've sailed before, but our son's service dog is new and this will be our first trip. I'm trying to get as much info and paperwork done right away as I know Dec will come quickly. But I have to admit, now that I''m looking into it, it's a bit overwhelming and intimidating. Starting to wonder how many ports we will actually all be able to go to as a full family with our dog. I'm trying to remain positive and get everything completed as quickly as possible.

I'll list our ports, in hopes that some of you may know some info or have some feedback about them.

Port Canaveral, Florida

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

Nassau, Bahamas

Costa Maya, Mexico

George Town, Grand Cayman

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Back to New York

Re your ports, Grand Cayman's requirements are rather difficult and time-consuming to meet and, if I remember correctly, require the dog's blood to be tested for rabies ahead of time. There are a lot of fees Involved for just a few hours ashore.

Jamaica's laws do not permit most dogs to come ashore unless they were actually born and raised in the U.K. or Ireland.

So you'll probably only need paperwork for Mexico and Bahamas. See the APHIS website, exporting an animal, traveling with pets...look for the drop-down menu to select a country.

It was CCI that recommended the C.E.T. Chews and I've consistently used them since I came home with Brenda in 2002. I find that if the chew is too thick that Horton will have loose stools, and this may be causing Henri to throw up. So, I'm now buying the medium size chews instead of the large.

I may try the medium too - I often have to throw out part of the large bag because they are too thick.

Dianne

It was CCI that recommended the C.E.T. Chews and I've consistently used them since I came home with Brenda in 2002. I find that if the chew is too thick that Horton will have loose stools, and this may be causing Henri to throw up. So, I'm now buying the medium size chews instead of the large.

I may try the medium too - I often have to throw out part of the large bag because they are too thick.

Dianne

Me too! I even called the company and told them about the thickness being inedible for my dog.

The worst part is leaving Lucy - but our neighbors take good care of her; she sleeps at night with their youngest son - she is lonely as she lost her BFF a few months ago - I haven't even been able to tell you all about that passing, and just a couple of weeks ago our cat Silly also left us - the boss of the house so we are still adjusting.Keith

Keith,

Rest assured they are flying with the Angels. So sorry.

Nancy

Happy weekend everyone! :* I have 9 more Sundays and I'll be cruising to Hawaii for 15 days.......it can't come soon enough! To all of you who are closer to your cruises, don't you just love the anticipation thing!!!! ;p

Happy Dance! Happy Dance! I just loved our 4 days at sea, both ways on our Hawaii cruise. We have been looking at the round trip, Panama Canal, from L.A. to L.A., since hubby doesn't fly, it is very appealing.....:hearteyes:

Happy Dance! Happy Dance! I just loved our 4 days at sea, both ways on our Hawaii cruise. We have been looking at the round trip, Panama Canal, from L.A. to L.A., since hubby doesn't fly, it is very appealing.....:hearteyes:

Nancy, when we did it Princess was offering the Sip & Sail package, it was fabulous. Other than the 98 degree temps with the 95% humidity [thank goodness for the air on the ship], it is one of my most favorite cruises. Do it!!!!

Roz, what did you eventually learn about the paperwork for Horty for Hawaii? Before Raylene joined my life, I did the roundtrip Hawaii cruise from San Diego, 15 days total. It was absolute heaven. I'd love to do it again but have wondered about the paperwork.

Since we are flying in to Oahu for our Hawaii to Vancouver Cruise next April the paperwork is actually pretty easy. All you need is Aphis Form 7001 (no USDA endorsement needed), rabies certificate, microchip and rabies titer. We just got Henri's titer results back and she is good to go.

Its more complicated though if you are going on a roundtrip cruise because you have to arrange for an inspection (normally the inspection is done at the airport in Honolulu).

Dianne

Since we are flying in to Oahu for our Hawaii to Vancouver Cruise next April the paperwork is actually pretty easy. All you need is Aphis Form 7001 (no USDA endorsement needed), rabies certificate, microchip and rabies titer. We just got Henri's titer results back and she is good to go.

Its more complicated though if you are going on a roundtrip cruise because you have to arrange for an inspection (normally the inspection is done at the airport in Honolulu).

Dianne

Sounds pretty easy. Is there an airport I nspector when you arrive in Oahu by air?

Sounds pretty easy. Is there an airport I nspector when you arrive in Oahu by air?

For service dogs, you can request an inspection in the terminal and they will meet you at the plane (you have to arrive before 4:00 pm). Non-service dogs are taken to the airport animal quarantine holding facility.

Dianne

We are making plans for a Hawaii Cruise next year and finished/faxed paperwork to the office(s) there (AQS, Itinerary, Vet Cert., and FAVN report). Some of the information I read through talks about direct release to Kona, Hilo, Kahului, and Lihue. Our first stop (port of entry) would be in Hilo, but for the life of me I can not find any more information as to the location in Hilo. The nearest I find is in Kona and they are not open on Sunday, which happens to be our arrival day. Has anyone arrived in Hilo in the past and coordinated with a Vet office there, in town, for Direct Release?

Thanks in advance

Tommy

Roz, what did you eventually learn about the paperwork for Horty for Hawaii? Before Raylene joined my life, I did the roundtrip Hawaii cruise from San Diego, 15 days total. It was absolute heaven. I'd love to do it again but have wondered about the paperwork.

I wrote a thorough answer to you and it went "poof" so I'll try again. It's a bit complicated but here goes:

I've been communicating with HDOA, Rabiesfree RabiesFree@Hawaii.gov

Since I am coming into Maui and not Honolulu I will have a "Direct Release" under their "modified program" for Guide and Service Dogs". Horton must be qualified for this release by having:

• A Microchip - [Avid, Home Again or Bayer ResQ]
  • Passing OIE-FAVN blood titer test
  • Current Rabies Vaccine [within one year]
  • Travel Itinerary [islands visiting/dates/time of entry]
  • Aphis 7001 form completed by my Vet [within 30 days of travel]
  • Notarized AQS 278 form [the HDOA office sent me this, I'll fill it out and have it notarized.] It's from the Dept. of Agriculture and is a Dog & Cat Import Form [i don't think that Service Dogs need this, but I'm going to fill it out anyway and have it notarized, just to have all my ducks in a row!]
  • I'll have 2 copies of everything, in case someone asks for one and I'll keep the originals for myself.

I'm to fax the above to: http://www.myfax.com/free/ or http://www.gotfreefax.com/ or http://faxzero.com/

They talk about hiring a Vet at the first port of entry if staff at your port of entry are not available and then they mention the direct release fee, but no mention of the amount or who to give it to, it's so confusing. I'm not going to stress over it. I will have cash [because they say they don't accept personal checks], to give them.

If any of you have any suggestions or see some glaring stuff I may have missed, don't hesitate to let me know!

We are making plans for a Hawaii Cruise next year and finished/faxed paperwork to the office(s) there (AQS, Itinerary, Vet Cert., and FAVN report). Some of the information I read through talks about direct release to Kona, Hilo, Kahului, and Lihue. Our first stop (port of entry) would be in Hilo, but for the life of me I can not find any more information as to the location in Hilo. The nearest I find is in Kona and they are not open on Sunday, which happens to be our arrival day. Has anyone arrived in Hilo in the past and coordinated with a Vet office there, in town, for Direct Release?

Thanks in advance

Tommy

Tommy, my cruise is on December 2nd. I will be the guinea pig for all of us. I'm going to fax my paper work into them. It will be complete and thorough. I will have bent over backwards for their rules and regulations, not to mention what I'm putting Horton through.

Handsome Horton will have their dreaded blood test and additional [unnecessary rabies vaccine] just to come into their beautiful state and cruise their islands. If they give me a hard time Horton will NOT leave the ship in any of the ports, and if they demand an unfair amount of money to do a ridiculous and unneeded health exam on a truly healthy dog, I will complain and put my foot down!!!

It seems I'm turning myself inside out to bring my Service Dog on this cruise......If it turns into any more of a "dog-mare" than it has been I'll let you know!!!! ;)

Please see all of the information above.

Thanks in advance

Tommy

The only info I have seen is on the checklist for direct airport release at Kona, Kahului or Lihue Airports. The vet listed for Kona is Keauhou Veterinary Hospital (808) 322-2988. Is that the vet you contacted?

Hopefully if you e-mail the HDOA Animal Quarantine Station they can provide information on alternative means of inspection when arriving at a cruise port.

Roz may know more on this as she is also arriving on a cruise.

Dianne

Thanks Roz and Dianne,

Looks forward to your experience Roz (guinea pig). I suspect it will all work out fine.

Dianne, yes that is the check list I saw also on the published paperwork. However, HDOA wrote me with what looks like a "cut and paste" informational reply, back in February, whereby there was one paragraph that stated "Fordirect release of a service dog by cruise ship to either Kona or Hilo on theBig Island, Kahului Maui, or Lihue Kauai, the only four places within the statethat currently allows direct release besides Honolulu, the animal mustfirst and foremost be qualified for a direct release and then, you must submitall required paperwork (except the health certificate for travel which youbring when the pet arrives) and full payment for our direct release fee (nopersonal checks) to our main quarantine station a minimum of 30 days beforearrival along with a request for either Hilo, Kona, Kahului or, Lihuerelease. " Note the mention of Hilo? That has my attention because that is our first port of call. I figure worse case scenario, we stay on board that day and the follow day we are in Honolulu and make it then. Still have 4 plus months to work this all out and am trying to be proactive to work it early, as they request we do. I am also waiting on a call back from the Kona Vet office for any information.

Thanks all. I am waiting for a call from the Kona Vet office for information and am hoping for a call back for the main office in Honolulu. I with share any info. I come across.

Tommy

Thanks Roz and Dianne,

Looks forward to your experience Roz (guinea pig). I suspect it will all work out fine.

Dianne, yes that is the check list I saw also on the published paperwork. However, HDOA wrote me with what looks like a "cut and paste" informational reply, back in February, whereby there was one paragraph that stated "Fordirect release of a service dog by cruise ship to either Kona or Hilo on theBig Island, Kahului Maui, or Lihue Kauai, the only four places within the statethat currently allows direct release besides Honolulu, the animal mustfirst and foremost be qualified for a direct release and then, you must submitall required paperwork (except the health certificate for travel which youbring when the pet arrives) and full payment for our direct release fee (nopersonal checks) to our main quarantine station a minimum of 30 days beforearrival along with a request for either Hilo, Kona, Kahului or, Lihuerelease. " Note the mention of Hilo? That has my attention because that is our first port of call. I figure worse case scenario, we stay on board that day and the follow day we are in Honolulu and make it then. Still have 4 plus months to work this all out and am trying to be proactive to work it early, as they request we do. I am also waiting on a call back from the Kona Vet office for any information.

Thanks all. I am waiting for a call from the Kona Vet office for information and am hoping for a call back for the main office in Honolulu. I with share any info. I come across.

Tommy

Full Payment? How much and I thought they won't accept checks. How do we pay them in drachma's, rubles, what?????? How about my second born, they can't have my first-born she's way too precious!!!

You think the cruise line is going to hassle me once they see all my paperwork? I'll get onboard, I'll spend 5 days at sea and then we'll land in Maui [where the fun will begin with the Agricultural Inspectors.....there won't be any Immigration officials because I'm still in the USA.] Once they see all that I've put this dog through and how vaccinated he is I bet there won't be any problems and there won't be anyone asking for money!

Cruising and flying in with a Service Dog is a whole other animal [excuse the pun] than flying into Hawaii with a pet! ;p

Full Payment? How much and I thought they won't accept checks. How do we pay them in drachma's, rubles, what?????? How about my second born, they can't have my first-born she's way too precious!!!

You think the cruise line is going to hassle me once they see all my paperwork? I'll get onboard, I'll spend 5 days at sea and then we'll land in Maui [where the fun will begin with the Agricultural Inspectors.....there won't be any Immigration officials because I'm still in the USA.] Once they see all that I've put this dog through and how vaccinated he is I bet there won't be any problems and there won't be anyone asking for money!

Cruising and flying in with a Service Dog is a whole other animal [excuse the pun] than flying into Hawaii with a pet! ;p

lol - oh my - those Hawaii folks have no idea what they are in for! Go get them Horty!

Just sharing information as I get it. I would think; cashiers check or equivalent mailed to the main office for "neighbor island inspection permit" ($145.00) (maintain receipt). which should be able to be sent prior, anytime. Then any direct support collaboration (e.g. onsite vet support) direct payment to them as "sub-contract" support. This is all a guess on my part, but seems rather logical to me.

Again, once I get a response, I will share. But I think, for the most part, it should be rather straight forward. The "nut" I am cracking is the "sub-contract" support for a Hilo inspection, which is not straight forward. It looks like all else is spelled out (somewhat).

Tommy

my thoughts are with everyone in Las Vegas - a city I and Dottie visit every year and one of our favorite places on earth, Well done to all the first res-ponders there!

Las Vegas was always an easy choice for a land based vacation, especially when you live in L.A. It would take us 4 hours to drive there and the drive was part of the fun. There were the "dips" along the Pearblossom Highway [these are huge waves of highway that have the biggest dips in them] and, if you're driving 60-70 miles an hour there was always a chance to scream as your stomach would fall long after your car would hit the dip. If you drove in the winter time the view of Big Bear Mountain with all the snow caps were breath taking.

Then there was the coffee shop in Lancaster where I can remember their silver-dollar pancakes that my father would order for us back in 60's, as he would take the drive heading towards the Sahara or the Thunderbird Hotel, where he was treated like a king because he was a big gambler. Along with my 5 sisters and brothers we would terrorize the staff running up and down the halls and into the pool and the gift shops.

After I grew up, and got married we would take our kids to Las Vegas for trips to Circus Circus and the myriad of other family fun things to do.

Morey and I loved to go for the great shows and the fabulous food. Brenda, my Service Dog, was a fixture at the Golden Nugget Hotel, as we would go twice a year and everyone there got to know her by name. Later we would become frequent guests at the Wynn and Treasure Island where we'd take our grandson Cody. We would call it our "Desert Cruise" and continued to escape to Las Vegas until Morey passed away. I haven't been to LV since 2012, when I took Horton once along with some family. I still get great offers from the Wynn Hotel to come back. Maybe when I'm tired of ocean cruising, I'll try the desert again!

Stay strong everyone, we're sending our love to all who were involved!

This Hawaii information is really interesting. Thanks, Roz, Dianne, and Tommy. Lots to learn about.

A while back, a friend (who knows I want to take Raylene to Hawaii on a future trip) emailed me about taking his service dog to Hawaii... by air, though, not by ship. Here's some info he gave me about fees when arriving elsewhere besides Oahu.

"The vet costs on the islands can be exciting.There is no cost for using the Department on Oahu, their services are complimentary. On the big island vet fees have run about $150 for a midweek arrival and $200 for a week-end arrival. On Maui it has been a flat $300 for the vets we have used and for Kauai it was $400 for a lady from the Humane services (who wasn’t a vet). We no longer fly directly to Kauai, even though it is our favorite island."

"The State's data base onanimals they have processed seems to be available to all the vets on theislands and very efficient and accessible...Once you've checked in at Oahu, there are no additionalrequirements for inter-island travel during your trip since you're already inthe system."

I guess that would hold true for cruising inter-island once you have been processed?

He also said, "If you're planning a trip you should allow time for a bad test result and a do over." Sounds like sometimes the Titer gives a false report and there has to be another blood draw.