Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Updated January 4, 2019 - 

On January 1, 2019, a new Hawaii law went into effect that makes it illegal to knowingly misrepresent an animal as a service animal. Violators may be subject to civil penalties.

• “Prior to arrival the dog must have passed one OIE-FAVN test after 12 months of age, with a level of 0.5 I.U. rabies antibody or greater.  The laboratory will not perform the tests unless the microchip number accompanies the test request form. A passing test result is valid for three (3) years.”

Valid for three years - is this new?  For some reason I thought it was one year.

https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page/guide-service-dogs-entering-hawaii/

Edited by Miki_moto

17 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

This is our first time taking my dog to Hawaii, and I am jumping for joy because Holland America just changed the itinerary on our March 18, 2020 18-day San Diego/Hawaii round trip cruise - the first port is now Honolulu for two days with an overnight! If your cruise enters the state via Honolulu, the quarantine staff there will go out to the ship to clear the dog. For any other Hawaiian island, you have to hire a vet at the first port of entry under the "neighbor island inspection" program, at your expense and get the paperwork submitted with plenty of advance time for those arrangements. So a Honolulu arrival will simplify the process.

Roz is definitely the expert on this topic, having gone through the whole rigmarole for arriving at a port other than Honolulu, and people should be able to find her posts through the search feature at the top right.

The complete info is on this website, and it is extremely detailed, so keep scrolling downward to read everything, especially the part about service animals, and to find the form you need to fill out. The site gives info about which types of microchips are acceptable to be provided to the Lab that runs the titer test: 

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/aqs-info/

I have an appointment with Raylene's vet in ten days to get the ball rolling with the blood draw. I'm starting early because I've heard there can be false results, which means repeating the test. I'll try to remember to keep notes.

I agree that it is not very complicated to take your service dog to Hawaii if your first port is Honolulu or if you are flying directly into Honolulu. I also had Henri’s titer done ahead of time - the key thing to remember is to have the lab send the results directly to Hawaii and not to you or your vet. I later requested an original from the lab for my files (I think I had to pay another $45) because in the EU the test is good forever as long as you keep the rabies shots up to date. In Hawaii the results are only valid for three years.

Chris, I have a detailed cover sheet I used to fax all my documents to the Hawaiian Agriculture Department. Let me know if you want a copy of it.

Dianne

4 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

Updated January 4, 2019 - 

• “Prior to arrival the dog must have passed one OIE-FAVN test after 12 months of age, with a level of 0.5 I.U. rabies antibody or greater.  The laboratory will not perform the tests unless the microchip number accompanies the test request form. A passing test result is valid for three (3) years.”

Valid for three years - is this new?  For some reason I thought it was one year.

https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page/guide-service-dogs-entering-hawaii/

I think it has been three years for awhile, the only thing that changed this year are the penalties for misrepresenting a service dog.

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL

10 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I agree that it is not very complicated to take your service dog to Hawaii if your first port is Honolulu or if you are flying directly into Honolulu. I also had Henri’s titer done ahead of time - the key thing to remember is to have the lab send the results directly to Hawaii and not to you or your vet. I later requested an original from the lab for my files (I think I had to pay another $45) because in the EU the test is good forever as long as you keep the rabies shots up to date. In Hawaii the results are only valid for three years.

Chris, I have a detailed cover sheet I used to fax all my documents to the Hawaiian Agriculture Department. Let me know if you want a copy of it.

Dianne

YES! I would love that. Do you still have my email? If not, let me know here or on FB.

Thanks for all the information on Hawaii. If this Alaska cruise goes good then I think Hawaii is in the future for this winter.  Either that or a round trip Panama Canal. I would love to see your cover sheet and any other information you think a newbie should know. My email is alsous at msn dot com. 

Edited by lindaler

Roz, I got a roll of astro turf, what size do you take with you on the ship? Is it as big as the box, 4 X 4 or just maybe for the center? I didn't find good chips. The guy at home depot said their chips, mulch and bark would give splinters in the dog's feet. He told me to go to Petco and get hamster bedding. 

38 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We have had two cruises with another service dog onboard. On our Hawaiian cruise, there was a guide dog from New York - we had dinner with the woman she belonged to a couple of times. On our Transatlantic cruise, there was a small dog that would bark furiously at Henri whenever she saw her - we tried to stay away from them because Henri has been attacked by a small dog and all the barking was making her nervous.

Dianne

Poor Henri! We've encountered a couple of little bad boy barkers on board, too, that made big noises every time Raylene happened to cross their paths. 

16 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Thanks for all the information on Hawaii. If this Alaska cruise goes good then I think Hawaii is in the future for this winter.  Either that or a round trip Panama Canal. I would love to see your cover sheet and any other information you think a newbie should know. My email is alsous at msn dot com. 

Taking your dog to Alaska for your first cruise is the way to go. The paperwork is so easy.  I will e-mail you the fax cover sheet for Hawaii. 

Several of us have done a Panama Canal cruise, it’s more complicated than Alaska or Hawaii since you will need the paperwork for each country you visit and you may need to go to the USDA to have it endorsed as well. 

Your first cruise is always a little nerve wracking, but it gets easier the more times you cruise.

Dianne

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Roz, I got a roll of astro turf, what size do you take with you on the ship? Is it as big as the box, 4 X 4 or just maybe for the center? I didn't find good chips. The guy at home depot said their chips, mulch and bark would give splinters in the dog's feet. He told me to go to Petco and get hamster bedding. 

A 4x4 sheet [cut holes in it for drainage] is good.  The turf should cover most of the inside of the box [you don't want it to move around, because if your dog likes to circle a lot it will move and spook your dog.]  The filler can be purchased at Lowe's [it's wood shavings in a block] perfect filler to practice on.  It's all I use now on my patio.  I wish the ships would use it.

3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Taking your dog to Alaska for your first cruise is the way to go. The paperwork is so easy.  I will e-mail you the fax cover sheet for Hawaii. 

Several of us have done a Panama Canal cruise, it’s more complicated than Alaska or Hawaii since you will need the paperwork for each country you visit and you may need to go to the USDA to have it endorsed as well. 

Your first cruise is always a little nerve wracking, but it gets easier the more times you cruise.

Dianne

My Island Princess, 19 day cruise through the Panama Canal was one of the easiest cruises [in terms of Horton's paperwork] that I've ever taken.  Unless there have been some changes since 2017 the Aphis 7001, Vet Immunization form, Micro-Chip info.,  proof of spay/neuter and proof of Service Dog Training [CCI provides us with a I.D. card], was all I needed for every port of entry.   I made several copies to give to each port and any Immigration exam. and it was easy peezy! 

I had a handicapped cabin with a huge veranda and was able to watch the ship go through the locks with the ability to actually touch the sides......it was amazing.  They were willing to put a potty box on the veranda.  It's one of my most favorite cruises even though it was 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity in December!

57 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

A 4x4 sheet [cut holes in it for drainage] is good.  The turf should cover most of the inside of the box [you don't want it to move around, because if your dog likes to circle a lot it will move and spook your dog.]  The filler can be purchased at Lowe's [it's wood shavings in a block] perfect filler to practice on.  It's all I use now on my patio.  I wish the ships would use it.

Roz, just curious, is this 4 feet x 4 feet?  I'm following a SD (Woodford) on FB.  They're on a Carnival ship and he can only fit his back end in the box, from the pictures.  It just seems awfully small (or maybe I'm just not seeing the whole thing?).

9 minutes ago, Plant said:

Roz, just curious, is this 4 feet x 4 feet?  I'm following a SD (Woodford) on FB.  They're on a Carnival ship and he can only fit his back end in the box, from the pictures.  It just seems awfully small (or maybe I'm just not seeing the whole thing?).

I’d love to check them out but I need more info to find them!  

Help!

46 minutes ago, Plant said:

4-Feet by 4-Feet.  It's artificial patio cover and looks like grass.  It's very thin, you must cut drainage holes.  It has a non-skid backing and lays on top of whatever filler the cruiseline is using. 

Unless you're working with your dog [mine is 85lbs] on a daily basis, a bigger dog may drop solid waste over the side.  Horton goes on a 3x4 foot box on my patio [it is filled with wood shavings and covered with actual artificial grass, not patio cover.  [I only use the patio cover for cruising.] 

I've had Horton since 2011, he has managed to drop solid waste over the side on 3 occasions during the 8 years that he's been with me.  Remember, my dogs ONLY use a potty box on my patio.

Our dogs learn to go potty wherever we train them to.  Horton loves to spin when he's going potty......in his box, he can't.  He MUST walk onto the box and release!

I'm going to start a business........Teaching big dogs to go potty in a box.  They can do it.....Throw a party when they do and they learn to get the job done.   Practice, practice, practice - Reward-Reward-Reward!

Carnival does use a smaller size, metal box.  Horton uses it with ease.

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Roz.  The box I'm seeing looks like it might be 16 inches X 16 inches.  One picture has Woodford with his back end in the box and his front end on deck.  Might be his choice, but... .

I don't have a SD yet, but I'm learning a lot here. Thank you all!

2 minutes ago, Plant said:

Thanks, Roz.  The box I'm seeing looks like it might be 16 inches X 16 inches.  One picture has Woodford with his back end in the box and his front end on deck.  Might be his choice, but... .

If they gave me a 16" by 16" box......I'd go directly to Guest Services and tell them that what they've given me for my dog to go to the bathroom in is insufficient, I would then suggest that their woodworking shop [every ship on the high seas has carpenters and a woodworking deck, where they repair things]  get busy and make me a new box......And, while I was waiting I would put down some filler, on their deck, lay down my artificial grass, put Horton's leash on him and walk him over the grass to relieve himself!

This convenience station for our dogs has got to become "normal" and "natural" for the ships officers to provide to those of us who use Service Dogs!  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH with the excuses and lack of concern for the comfort of our "medical equipment!"

32 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

“...he has managed to drop solid waste over the side on 3 occasions during the 8 years that he's been with me.”

Not for nothing, but I’d be happy with solid waste disposal anywhere close to the box!  Nico is NOT a fan.  😞   Liquid - not a problem.  Solid - yeah, no, don’t want to go there.  “What are my options?” - question asked by Nico, who may actually think there’s an option!

Edited to add - Nico is an ADI school trained dog who toilets on command.  He’s made solid ‘deposits’ in our training box but really isn’t keen on doing the deed in anything that seems ‘permanent’.  

I’m not sure I blame him.  Just sayin’.

Edited by Miki_moto

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Remember, my dogs ONLY use a potty box on my patio.

Our dogs learn to go potty wherever we train them to.  Horton loves to spin when he's going potty......in his box, he can't.  He MUST walk onto the box and release!

Good advice, if that’s the only game in town and/or you aren’t out and about a LOT with your dog, or you’ve got the timing down better than we do.  Living across from a forest (it’s small but it’s still got a forest designation) where you walk every day make insisting on pooping in the box problematic.  Timing again?

if I’ve been on the ferry with Nico and drive directly from the ferry home, no problem.  If I stop - and toilet Nico - bombs away!  

Cunard round trip Vancouver / Alaska has many stops, a few of which are tendered so aren’t doable for some in a power wheelchair.   I’m confident that if there’s no other choice, Nico will perform as expected.  Or at least close!  (No, I DON’T want the box on my balcony - no matter how convenient it is.)

2 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

Good advice, if that’s the only game in town and/or you aren’t out and about a LOT with your dog, or you’ve got the timing down better than we do.  Living across from a forest (it’s small but it’s still got a forest designation) where you walk every day make insisting on pooping in the box problematic.  Timing again?

if I’ve been on the ferry with Nico and drive directly from the ferry home, no problem.  If I stop - and toilet Nico - bombs away!  

Cunard round trip Vancouver / Alaska has many stops, a few of which are tendered so aren’t doable for some in a power wheelchair.   I’m confident that if there’s no other choice, Nico will perform as expected.  Or at least close!  (No, I DON’T want the box on my balcony - no matter how convenient it is.)

I, until March 1, 2018, worked a full time job in the "glass ceiling" of life, lots of cubicle's, offices, skyscrapers, people coming and going all the time, interrupting any schedule that I tried to enforce.  I made sure that my Service Dogs fit into my life.

Cruising became my vacation of choice and I wanted my dog to fit into my lifestyle, which is why I trained them to use a potty box.

For my work, I found a service on the internet; "Doggie In The City" that delivered a 5ft x 5ft box and filled it with actual sod, it was placed in the garage of office.  They came every two weeks to change the sod.  Finding anywhere for a dog to go to the bathroom on my breaks was getting to be not only difficult but actually dangerous in the "big city!"  It cost me $80.00 a month but it was worth every penny.  Again, Horton had to use a box......cruising was just another box he had to use.  I'm now retired.

My first Service Dog Brenda was more difficult to train to use the box than Horton.  She didn't like it, but I didn't give up and eventually it became second nature.  When Horton came along he watched Brenda and all it took was the "command" and he stepped up onto the artificial turf and went.  No problem.  I only had the two of them together for 15 months and then Brenda passed at age 14.  She was my darling and taught him how to live with Roz!

When my daughter cruises with me she hates the box on the veranda; she says it takes away from her enjoying the area!  Everyone has to find their comfort zone and make it work for them.  She's not much of a cruiser and prefers land-based vacations.

15 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

HAPPY WEEKEND!  I plan on doing absolutely nothing........Come to L.A. and join Horton and me in doing nothing together!

We're doing nothing too! Well except for laundry 😕. Actually tomorrow is our monthly puppy class. We are going to show off the new boy to our friends. 

14 hours ago, Plant said:

Once we boarded a Holland America ship, went straight to the box, and it was about that size. After we laughed (my dog weighs 70 lbs so is a large girl), we went directly to the front desk and they had a 4X4 box in place by mid-afternoon.

• Like 1