Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On 6/4/2019 at 6:59 PM, rpclmc said:

Next cruise that Halo will be going on with me, I am going to St Kitts, St Marteen, San Juan and Grand Turk.  I have been to the USDA site.  I could navigate all this all on my own, but everyone is so helpful.  So any help on the requirements for these ports is greatly appreciated.

St Kitts look like it requires a lot.  Also, talk to me about the quarantine.  I have to assume this doesn't apply to service dogs with the understanding that all the requirements are met.

Grand Turk has a lot of requirements and I have seen everyone talk about not worth jumping through the hoops to get off the ship.

St Marteen looked fairly easy.  Am I missing anything?

I couldn't find anything on San Juan.

Being that we want to get off at all the ports, not fulfilling the requirements is not an option.

Linda and Halo

These are the requirements and the current form for St. Maarten. The last time we went,  when the certificate went to the APHIS service center for the required endorsement, they commented to my vet regarding the lack of required adenovirus vaccination (which my vet hasn’t stocked in years and we do not plan to administer). We told the government vets that we would simply not disembark the dog there, so they marked up the form to indicate that. But when we’re on the ship, we had a call that we were welcome to take the dog ashore (the authorities had reviewed our papers). It is a very tourist-friendly island, though you will see some free-range dogs wandering about.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pet-travel/health-certificates/non-eu/st-maarten-dog-cat.pdf

Puerto Rico’s requirements (as of April 2019) are found if you click “Travel with a Pet from State to State” from the menu on the left side (Pet Travel page). Note you don’t need the permit, you just need the health certificate (7001) and rabies certificate, and the dog must be microchipped. The state to state section also has U.s. virgiN islands on the dropdown menu.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-and-animal-product-import-information/import-live-animals/ct_puerto_rico_entry_req

We did not take the dog ashore on St. Kitts - the cost and aggravation for two titer tests is simply not worth a few hours there. You can take turns going ashore without the dog if you wish. 

I’ve never been to Grand Turk, but the APHIS dropdown menu lists their requirements (titer test, etc), permit form and contact info.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Please remember;  when you are traveling with a certified Service Dog "quarantine's" do NOT apply.  Your dog is "durable medical equipment" and may NOT be removed from your side.  No Immigration/TSA or Police official should separate you from your dog.  Always insist that if they want to take your dog to another room for "examination" you MUST accompany him/her. 

Your dogs behavior will dictate how you are both treated in any given circumstance.  A legitimate Service Dog will ALWAYS remain in a down or sit/stay; by your side, while you are being questioned by anyone in authority.  Your dog will NEVER be growling/barking/sniffing/licking or whining and, certainly not nipping at the public.  

In all my travels around the world with my dogs, I've seen it all as well as seeing a woman and her "pet" be put off a ship in San Diego because her dog had bitten a woman [drew blood] in an elevator.  At first, she was asked to remain in her cabin while there was a day of investigation and then crew members were sent to her cabin to help her pack and she was put off the ship!   I wish the ships were more judicious in their treatment of people who insist on bringing their "pets" on board with them! 

Edited by wizard-of-roz

5 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

But there’s no such thing as a ‘certified service dog’ in the US.

Unfortunately,  the DOJ/ADA does not require "certification" and there are not enough training orgs. that insist that their handlers carry an I.D. Card, as does Canine Companions for Independence.  And, some dogs are self trained.  None of this, at this time, changes what I previously wrote.....your dogs behavior is true "certification" of who you and your dog are!

I do believe that one day there will be a Photo I.D. Card that will be given to legitimate Service Dog Teams and they will have to be re-tested every 1 - 3 years to maintain their card, as CCI insists that we do.

And, when you go out in public with your dog you represent each and every one of us. 

Stand/sit tall with pride in walking or wheeling with a true hero.....your Service Dog!

• Like 1

Our house is having Hearing Doggie summer camp this week while my friend Pat is off hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. These two are hilarious in action, with 7-year old Raylene the instigator more often than 2.5 year old Firenze, a CCI pup from the Orlando campus. 

But they’re still doing their jobs. Both heads pop up simulanteously for sounds like the microwave beeps, and they both run to the sound, where Raylene takes charge of the alert business.

So far, we’re going through a toy a day. Poor Mr. Squirrel lost his core body strength this morning.

D5D1BF46-07DF-45D9-9485-39911D6E4923.jpeg

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Please remember;  when you are traveling with a certified Service Dog "quarantine's" do NOT apply.  Your dog is "durable medical equipment" and may NOT be removed from your side.  No Immigration/TSA or Police official should separate you from your dog.  Always insist that if they want to take your dog to another room for "examination" you MUST accompany him/her. 

Your dogs behavior will dictate how you are both treated in any given circumstance.  A legitimate Service Dog will ALWAYS remain in a down or sit/stay; by your side, while you are being questioned by anyone in authority.  Your dog will NEVER be growling/barking/sniffing/licking or whining and, certainly not nipping at the public.  

In all my travels around the world with my dogs, I've seen it all as well as seeing a woman and her "pet" be put off a ship in San Diego because her dog had bitten a woman [drew blood] in an elevator.  At first, she was asked to remain in her cabin while there was a day of investigation and then crew members were sent to her cabin to help her pack and she was put off the ship!   I wish the ships were more judicious in their treatment of people who insist on bringing their "pets" on board with them! 

I wish everywhere would be stricter with treatment of people who bring their untrained ESA's and "service dogs"/pets into public, there is such a fear of being sued.  I am actually more concerned about Halo's safety from other dogs than people touching him.  I can stop a person easier than a nipping, barking, attacking dog.  Halo is so calm, he completely ignores other dogs, but he also wouldn't defend himself if attacked.

I always get compliments on his behavior, even when I don't think he is behaving at his best.  I not very verbal about things when out with him, but I do respond with "this is how a real service dog behaves.  I have even had airline agents say that exact thing.

Linda and Halo

Yes, in businesses I have had people stand up and say, that is how a service dog should act. A real compliment but in a way, sad that the fakes spoil it for the real working dogs. Today in Safeway I saw a cute poodle type dog with just a red collar, in the shopping cart and I thought, that isn't a real service dog, but thought better and kept my mouth shut. I too fear the fakes that bark and strain to get to Chavela. She tries to ignore them but she has also learned to fear them when they come charging over. I even had one woman get mad because I wouldn't let my dog play with hers. I said she was working and is not supposed to interact with other dogs or people. And she said, that poor dog, you are a horrible owner. I just walked away. Oh well. 

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Our house is having Hearing Doggie summer camp this week while my friend Pat is off hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. These two are hilarious in action, with 7-year old Raylene the instigator more often than 2.5 year old Firenze, a CCI pup from the Orlando campus. 

But they’re still doing their jobs. Both heads pop up simulanteously for sounds like the microwave beeps, and they both run to the sound, where Raylene takes charge of the alert business.

So far, we’re going through a toy a day. Poor Mr. Squirrel lost his core body strength this morning.

That toy never had a chance! 

20 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Yes, in businesses I have had people stand up and say, that is how a service dog should act. A real compliment but in a way, sad that the fakes spoil it for the real working dogs. Today in Safeway I saw a cute poodle type dog with just a red collar, in the shopping cart and I thought, that isn't a real service dog, but thought better and kept my mouth shut. I too fear the fakes that bark and strain to get to Chavela. She tries to ignore them but she has also learned to fear them when they come charging over. I even had one woman get mad because I wouldn't let my dog play with hers. I said she was working and is not supposed to interact with other dogs or people. And she said, that poor dog, you are a horrible owner. I just walked away. Oh well. 

What an awful thing to say. Obviously they know nothing about service dogs. 😕

9 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I love it!!!!  Brenda never chewed her toys to death.....I still have her toys in Horton's toy box....on the other hand, Horton destroys her toys [some of which I will sew back together], He's such a boy!!!!   He will parade around the house with the stuffing hanging from his muzzle!   I love the picture, thanks for sharing it with us!

36 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

What's going on?  Are the weekends coming sooner and sooner?  Happy Weekend Everyone 💕

This week went so fast.  I totally agree with you.  

Linda and Halo

On 6/6/2019 at 6:30 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Actually, A different country can still require a quarantine of any animal, even a service dog.  Their country, their law.  

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

Actually, A different country can still require a quarantine of any animal, even a service dog.  Their country, their law.  

Actually, if you and your dog are acting appropriately NO ONE will take your dog away from you.......I can't promise what would happen if you're both in a third world country but no one wants your Service Dog who has been allowed to enter the cruise ship or airline you've traveled on - even, and I say this with a twinkle in my eye, Hawaii!  No one wants the responsibility of you and your dog, short of travel in Syberia or outer Mongolia!

So, go, travel with your well behaved SD and don't fear the "quarantine" ranters.  Auntie Roz will come and rescue you, I promise!

I have not been to this site in a long time and I am still surprised at the mis information. First of all any breed can be a trained service dog, small to large can be a service dog. My son is deaf and in a wheelchair and he has a small "poodle" as his beloved service dog for 10 yrs. He went with a poodle all those yrs ago because of his allergies. Being a small breed dog does not exclude them from being trained for service. My son's dog trained everyday for a yr and out of 10 dogs she was the only one who graduated and was certified. She is put thru testing and re certified every 3 yrs. Now about where a service dog can go and can't go - the advice I saw on this site can get you in a lot of trouble. First of all each country has their own paper work and their own rules. If you arrive without paper work certified by the USDA vet and what ever permit that country requires you will never be allowed off the ship and they can threaten to euthanize the dog. We have traveled all over the world with my son's SD and I make sure we have followed all the rules and regulations of each country, crossed all Ts and dotted all Is - some tougher than others. As far as Hawaii - we have been to Hawaii probably 10 times and yes they have rules and they want the Titer test done as most countries now but as long as you have done what they ask of you your dog will be welcomed. When I write to them to let them know we are coming they are wonderful to us and as long as I send them what they ask for my son's dog is welcomed in Hawaii. Now Australia - 6 months of paper work, $900. in vet bills for vaccines we do not require nor keep in the USA and provided them with everything they asked for and still no permit. UK and Japan was a pain in the butt but we got the permit. My son's dog was the first service dog permitted in China - we were met in each city and region we visit by journalists and she was the story of that week in China - they were very proud of themselves - they treated her like royalty even in the infamous Shanghai Museum.

9 hours ago, annamooseone said:

I have not been to this site in a long time and I am still surprised at the mis information. First of all any breed can be a trained service dog, small to large can be a service dog. My son is deaf and in a wheelchair and he has a small "poodle" as his beloved service dog for 10 yrs. He went with a poodle all those yrs ago because of his allergies. Being a small breed dog does not exclude them from being trained for service. My son's dog trained everyday for a yr and out of 10 dogs she was the only one who graduated and was certified. 

If you are referring to my comment about the poodle in the shopping cart, it wasn't the dog's breed that made me think it wasn't a service dog. First it was in the shopping cart(which I have been trained to believe is not right, and have seen store managers tell people to take their dogs out), second it was jumping all over their groceries and was trying to get at things on the shelf, and lastly it was trying to lick or interact with everyone that passed by. There was no id on the dog and there was no leash attached as it rode in the cart.  I am not a breed snob. My dog is a Xoloitzcuintli and is smaller. I think poodles are very smart and if I hadn't found a trainer who believed in this breed I would have gone with a poodle. It certainly would have saved on the sweaters I have had to buy to keep my naked dog warm. 

10 hours ago, annamooseone said:

First of all each country has their own paper work and their own rules. If you arrive without paper work certified by the USDA vet and what ever permit that country requires you will never be allowed off the ship and they can threaten to euthanize the dog.

This scares the bejeebers out of me.  To think if somethings isn't completed right, even if we don't get off the ship they can come in and kill my dog is very frightening. 

Edited by lindaler
more to the point

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

This scares the bejeebers out of me.  To think if somethings isn't completed right, even if we don't get off the ship they can come in and kill my dog is very frightening. 

First of all Alaska is part of the United States but you will still need the Health Cert signed by your states USDA vet. The cert has to be done by your personal vet and overnighted to the USDA. That is all you will need to board the ship and for Canada the same thing - when we visit Canada they never even ask for the Health cert but the ships will ask for it. You don't have to be scared if you do your research in advance and go with the paper work you need - if you have a good vet they should be able to help walk you thru it. Our vet's nurse is our angel. There are a few counties that say they can confiscate the dog and Australia is one of them. It was not meant to scare you but the person who was saying on this RC as long as you had a service dog you were fine - not true. Go prepared and you should be fine. Lots of work and nerve wracking but I do it because my son can not live without his service dog. His Dog will be taking her 28th cruise with Princess in Nov - Princess knows we come prepared. You do know you have to let the cruise line know you're traveling with a SD right? Some countries require a Titer Rabies test done 6 months before you arrive - this is about $165. - $250. and all vacs up to date - Hawaii is one of the states to require this test, some countries have dropped this requirement.

Edited by annamooseone

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

If you are referring to my comment about the poodle in the shopping cart, it wasn't the dog's breed that made me think it wasn't a service dog. First it was in the shopping cart(which I have been trained to believe is not right, and have seen store managers tell people to take their dogs out), second it was jumping all over their groceries and was trying to get at things on the shelf, and lastly it was trying to lick or interact with everyone that passed by. There was no id on the dog and there was no leash attached as it rode in the cart.  I am not a breed snob. My dog is a Xoloitzcuintli and is smaller. I think poodles are very smart and if I hadn't found a trainer who believed in this breed I would have gone with a poodle. It certainly would have saved on the sweaters I have had to buy to keep my naked dog warm. 

Lindaler - you should not have taken what I said personally. We take about 3 - 4 cruises a year and we have seen and heard everything. We have heard...how can a poodle be a service dog? But my son has the very best response and it is to me and not to the morons who make the snide comments. He tells me.....Mom don't worry about people who make assumptions - it is their problem and not ours. He is much smarter than I am. We live in FL and Florida Guide Dogs for the Blind are actually starting to raise poodles as guide dogs for the blind - they are considered the 2nd smartest dog in the world.