Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

Happy Birthday to the best boy!!! 

IMG_20191212_171046.jpg

Dear Oakland,

I miss you.  Roz tries to play with me like you did but it's no use, she's not that much fun on the floor, rolling around.  Besides, it takes her forever to get up!!!!!!!  Funny to Watch!!!!!!

🎈HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎈 

To one of the cutest little buddies I know.  I hope that all your wishes and dreams come true.  

Much Love,

Horton Jeffrey

And, Lot's of Love from Roz too!!!! 💖

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Dear Oakland,

I miss you.  Roz tries to play with me like you did but it's no use, she's not that much fun on the floor, rolling around.  Besides, it takes her forever to get up!!!!!!!  Funny to Watch!!!!!!

🎈HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎈 

To one of the cutest little buddies I know.  I hope that all your wishes and dreams come true.  

Much Love,

Horton Jeffrey

And, Lot's of Love from Roz too!!!! 💖

Oak send his love to Horty and even Auntie Roz. ❤️  

Did you get his card yet? 

Just met another CCI Hearing Dog trained at the Orlando campus. Butterfly III is a beautiful yellow Lab, and she is a Good Girl. 

She rested so quietly on the front row at the feet of her handler during a magic show at the our Hearing Loss Association holiday gathering. Even when her partner was recruited by the magician to be part of his act right in front of her, Butterfly was the picture of perfect service dog behavior. Raylene was at my feet in the back row, pretending to sleep but keeping an eye on the proceedings. The two puppies got to do “hello sniffs” afterward.

Irene doesn’t have a fenced yard, so we are setting up a play date soon, along with Raylene’s other best bud CCI Hearing Dog Firenze, of course.  Attached shows Butter’s face - most of the time, she stared directly at her partner.

747A32DD-9765-4F75-940F-4C1A73A99B43.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Just met another CCI Hearing Dog trained at the Orlando campus. Butterfly III is a beautiful yellow Lab, and she is a Good Girl. 

She rested so quietly on the front row at the feet of her handler during a magic show at the our Hearing Loss Association holiday gathering. Even when her partner was recruited by the magician to be part of his act right in front of her, Butterfly was the picture of perfect service dog behavior. Raylene was at my feet in the back row, pretending to sleep but keeping an eye on the proceedings. The two puppies got to do “hello sniffs” afterward.

Irene doesn’t have a fenced yard, so we are setting up a play date soon, along with Raylene’s other best bud CCI Hearing Dog Firenze, of course.  Attached shows Butter’s face - most of the time, she stared directly at her partner.

Aww what a cute face! I'm so glad they started training hearing dogs in Florida. They had talked about having them at NER, but nothing ever came of it. Maybe they decided to just include Orlando. 

Edited by rangeley

14 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Look at that face - the hearing dogs are so attentive. I wonder if she's a litter mate of Butter who is a breeder in our chapter.

Dianne

4 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Look at that face - the hearing dogs are so attentive. I wonder if she's a litter mate of Butter who is a breeder in our chapter.

Dianne

How wonderful.  I, too, am thrilled that Hearing Dog training is happening all across the U.S.  In all the years that I've had my dogs, since 2002, I have NEVER run into another Hearing Dog EVER.

Butterfly is a beautiful girl, with a very sweet name!    

10 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Dianne

Does your CCI chapter have gatherings where people share info and meet other CCI dog teams? That would be fun.

I think there are only a few Dogs for Better Lives (formerly Dogs for the Deaf) dogs in Florida. Lots more in the Pacific Northwest since they are based in Oregon and much better known there. 

So I love it that Raylene has her CCI hearing dog buddies to play with now that Orlando is training them. (And, of course, love getting together at my house with friends who are their partners.)

9 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Does your CCI chapter have gatherings where people share info and meet other CCI dog teams? That would be fun.

I think there are only a few Dogs for Better Lives (formerly Dogs for the Deaf) dogs in Florida. Lots more in the Pacific Northwest since they are based in Oregon and much better known there. 

So I love it that Raylene has her CCI hearing dog buddies to play with now that Orlando is training them. (And, of course, love getting together at my house with friends who are their partners.)

We are in the East Bay Miracles Chapter. We are lucky that our Chapter is pretty active - we have quarterly meetings, three or four play days a year at an indoor play area, spa day once a quarter, a summer pool party and other fundraising events. That’s great that you have CCI dogs in your area; it’s so nice when our dogs have the opportunity to play with other service dogs. 

Dianne

• Like 1

Greetings from Celebrity Equinox!

I've seen two dogs on board, although I was told a third was here somewhere, being carried around. 

One is a standard poodle,  and just perfect.   Always in just the right spot at heel,calm.  Sits pretty by her person,  attentive to her person.

The other is an older retriever,  and I have to wonder if that dog is a real SD.  The handler ignores the dog a lot, the dog is usually a ways ahead of the handler,  and he puts that dog in some really uncomfortable situations- like the middle of the dance floor, by the giant speakers,and in the way of busser trolleys.  Plus, the dog is inattentive to the handler and VERY stressed each time I see it.  

I'm just rather disappointed in the person who brought a dog that is so uncomfortable. 

On 12/15/2019 at 8:48 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Does your CCI chapter have gatherings where people share info and meet other CCI dog teams

In our chapter, it's mostly puppy raisers. We attend the puppy classes twice a month and try to do some volunteer activities. The past few months we've done gift wrapping, paw patrol, petco, and veterans meet and greets and also helped out with the photos with Santa. John also does speaking engagements when asked. In February we will go to this private school and speak and do a demo with the dog which is not CCI sponsered. 

Edited by rangeley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Greetings from Celebrity Equinox!

I've seen two dogs on board, although I was told a third was here somewhere, being carried around. 

One is a standard poodle,  and just perfect.   Always in just the right spot at heel,calm.  Sits pretty by her person,  attentive to her person.

The other is an older retriever,  and I have to wonder if that dog is a real SD.  The handler ignores the dog a lot, the dog is usually a ways ahead of the handler,  and he puts that dog in some really uncomfortable situations- like the middle of the dance floor, by the giant speakers,and in the way of busser trolleys.  Plus, the dog is inattentive to the handler and VERY stressed each time I see it.  

I'm just rather disappointed in the person who brought a dog that is so uncomfortable. 

At least you got one thats a real SD. 

21 hours ago, rangeley said:

At least you got one thats a real SD. 

Horton and I have been together since 2011, he knows me, I know him.  We're very relaxed around each other.  But, always "alert" to each others needs.   He gives me a comfort, safety zone that's really only visible to the two of us or to someone who travels with us and know's us.  Does this come across as "poor Service Dog behavior", maybe, to some folks. 

Does Horton need to sit or be at a "heel" every time we're not moving, no, because I'm standing and usually turning and looking and moving to the left or right or forward or backwards and this really demands that Horton be ready to move right along with me and not be stationary.  It's a "dance" that we do with each other.  He'd actually trip me or get in my way if he weren't ready to move all the time, as I do!  If I give Horton a command he's very responsive and right there for me!  Sometime he'll get distracted, like any dog would, but he's easy to bring right back to me.

It took over a year for Horton to totally understand my walk, my stance and my wants.  He's a great travel buddy now.

Unless the dog is acting badly, barking, lunging at others, or growling, I would assume that the handler and the dog have a "dance" with each other and know what they're doing.

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2019 at 5:48 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

It would be so much fun to meet with other CCI folks and allow our dogs to play with each other and share some ideas and stories.

19 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Horton and I have been together since 2011, he knows me, I know him.  We're very relaxed around each other.  But, always "alert" to each others needs.   He gives me a comfort, safety zone that's really only visible to the two of us or to someone who travels with us and know's us.  Does this come across as "poor Service Dog behavior", maybe, to some folks. 

Does Horton need to sit or be at a "heel" every time we're not moving, no, because I'm standing and usually turning and looking and moving to the left or right or forward or backwards and this really demands that Horton be ready to move right along with me and not be stationary.  It's a "dance" that we do with each other.  He'd actually trip me or get in my way if he weren't ready to move all the time, as I do!  If I give Horton a command he's very responsive and right there for me!  Sometime he'll get distracted, like any dog would, but he's easy to bring right back to me.

It took over a year for Horton to totally understand my walk, my stance and my wants.  He's a great travel buddy now.

Unless the dog is acting badly, barking, lunging at others, or growling, I would assume that the handler and the dog have a "dance" with each other and know what they're doing.

Is it weird for me to say it’s comforting to know that other folks SD’s get distracted at times?  Since my daughter has cognitive deficits, she isn’t always focused on whether HE is focused or not.  Sometimes she can be stationary, in her own little world for hours.  As the family member responsible for them I feel a huge amount of pressure for him to ‘behave’ and set a good service dog example, and sometimes I feel like one small lapse in that setting will reflect badly on the SD community. 

That being said, in 2 years, I can count on one hand the number of times he had difficulty refocusing, and even then, he wasn’t acting up. 

I will also say that on the rare occasion that I had to take him to the potty box on the cruise, he’s definitely a little out of sync with my stride compared to my daughters, as well as being separated from her.  He doesn’t act up, but seems to saying ‘what the heck??’  

I’m so thankful to have found this group!

24 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I totally agree. MurphySD and I have our own way of working together. He doesn’t always heel as far back as others think he should but he’s trained for threat assessment and watching my back so he needs to be able to see all around me.  He also stands behind, in front or by my side depending on the situation, most people think SD should only sit by your side, but different SD are trained for different jobs for their person, so like you if the dog is well behaved and mannered there’s no need for judgement from me. 

22 hours ago, rangeley said:

In our chapter, it's mostly puppy raisers. We attend the puppy classes twice a month and try to do some volunteer activities. The past few months we've done gift wrapping, paw patrol, petco, and veterans meet and greets and also helped out with the photos with Santa. John also does speaking engagements when asked. In February we will go to this private school and speak and do a demo with the dog which is not CCI sponsered. 

You all do so many terrific things to give back for the wonderful gift of these dogs!

I think that the service dogs mainly have to maintain a close heel are the guide dogs for blind or visually-impaired people.

As Kaik9s said, there are dogs doing different jobs for different people. Hearing dogs, for example, alert to trained-for sounds, but they also serve by demonstrating body language for other environmental noises.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I think that the service dogs mainly have to maintain a close heel are the guide dogs for blind or visually-impaired people.

As Kaik9s said, there are dogs doing different jobs for different people. Hearing dogs, for example, alert to trained-for sounds, but they also serve by demonstrating body language for other environmental noises.

I think it's the training. Our CCI insists when you are stopped that the dog sit. I don't know if its because John is in a wheelchair or not. 

Horton is so well behaved and knows Rozs every move. You can tell they have been a team for a long time. Oakland on the other hand is young and easily distracted. John and him are still working to get in sync. But they have only been a team for 8 months.