Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thank god for Oakland. At least he keeps us entertained. Took him out yesterday and made a video for our puppy raisers. They were thrilled. One lives near us but the other lives in NY. They are on "lockdown" but we kind of are too. Threw the ball a few times and back in the apt.

No sports for John so we are stuck together. Lol  Haven't killed each other yet. 

My son had a corona scare the other day. A salesman might have been exposed but turned out the kid actually had the flu. I certainly don't need any more stress.

We are wearing masks while in the building and my hands are raw and itchy from washing them. We are lucky we have a card to open our door and the building doors so we can go out and actually touch nothing. I use the card to press the elevator buttons and spray with a bleach solution when I come back in. The people in here have really been good and most are staying in except for walks. Of course there are a few, one in particular that feel the need to go to the grocery store every single day. Ugh. I'm not planning on going at all.

I ordered from pea pod, a stop and shop delivery service. Ordered on Thursday and it will be here April 1st. That was the earliest available date for delivery. 😮 Hopefully we have enough until then.  

A pic of Oakland from yesterday. 

IMG_20200321_163353.jpg

Edited by rangeley
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

Thank god for Oakland. At least he keeps us entertained. Took him out yesterday and made a video for our puppy raisers. They were thrilled. One lives near us but the other lives in NY. They are on "lockdown" but we kind of are too. Threw the ball a few times and back in the apt.

No sports for John so we are stuck together. Lol  Haven't killed each other yet. 

My son had a corona scare the other day. A salesman might have been exposed but turned out the kid actually had the flu. I certainly don't need any more stress.

We are wearing masks while in the building and my hands are raw and itchy from washing them. We are lucky we have a card to open our door and the building doors so we can go out and actually touch nothing. I use the card to press the elevator buttons and spray with a bleach solution when I come back in. The people in here have really been good and most are staying in except for walks. Of course there are a few, one in particular that feel the need to go to the grocery store every single day. Ugh. I'm not planning on going at all.

I ordered from pea pod, a stop and shop delivery service. Ordered on Thursday and it will be here April 1st. That was the earliest available date for delivery. 😮 Hopefully we have enough until then.  

A pic of Oakland from yesterday. 

IMG_20200321_163353.jpg

Such a handsome boy!  That marshmellow nose is the cutest.

Your stories of people going about their activities reminds me of my daughter in Eugene, Oregon.  She had to pick up medicine for her daughter and, she said that people are out and about today and certainly not staying away from each other in a coffee shop, in a Petco, at the gas station and at the pharmacy.  She said she was shocked at the amount of folks who were acting so normally.  I suppose, like the rest of us, we're all in shock and just wanting our lives before this virus hit us.

She has a business in downtown Eugene that has to be closed [she's an Esthetician] and has been very successful for the past 8 years.  Hopefully, it can open up again very soon.  Her clients are calling her to buy gift cards for future treatments.

What we used to call boring sounds so good right now, doesn't it?  I'll take those boring good old days, all day, every day!

Horton and I are playing ball in the hallway to stay away from all the people who love to pat and love on him.  I feel like I have to bathe him every time someone grabs a pat and a touch.

I was watching the news every time there was a special press conference [I want to stay informed] but, sometimes it's just too much!  I live in a very big city [L.A.], there's "stuff" happening every day.  It changes constantly and to watch pictures of my city being closed down and businesses being so affected is too sad and scary to watch, minute by minute. 

I turn the channel and find a movie to watch to take my mind and thoughts off the sadness and madness of it all! 

Take care, dear friends, take care of your dogs.  We're all here for each other!!!! 

So who would think that our internet would decide to go out on Thursday evening! 😮 We called in on Friday, went through the scenario with the robot and then "it" decided to let us talk to a person.  Went through steps with them, still no go.  They wrote it up for a technician come over on Saturday!  Fortunately they came at about 815 am.  He checks all the indoor equipment and then goes outside.  Nothing looks out of the ordinary so he has to write it up for the "outside" tech to come out.  As he is leaving, we go thru the garage and he stops in his tracks and says "wait a minute".  Whirls around and looks at the plug on the wall and it was hanging in there by a thread!  Yup the transformer "plug-in" was backed out of the outlet!  It is one of those heavy little square plug-ins.  Well I was totally embarassed for having the tech have to come out for that, but thankful that that was all it was. So all 3 of us had a lesson in the garage to check that plug in first, if the internet goes out again!   

Our sweet boy is still at training!  I knew he was stubborn, but......Trainer said if he does good next couple of days, he can come home!   Yay, can't wait.  I will get on my phone and post his latest picture.  

Hope everyone is weathering this pandemic ok.  We are sheltering in place.  Maybe just going out for a drive.  Not stopping or getting out, just getting out of the house.  Now grandson has a sore throat and cough.  Took him to urgent care because his doctor is not available this coming week.  They checked him, said he looks good, his lungs sound good.  Just go home, take the Robitussin and gargle with salt water.  I have been throwing Alka-Seltzer in there at night.  It helps him sleep, plus curbs the cough.  

Take care of all yours. ❤️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

So who would think that our internet would decide to go out on Thursday evening! 😮 We called in on Friday, went through the scenario with the robot and then "it" decided to let us talk to a person.  Went through steps with them, still no go.  They wrote it up for a technician come over on Saturday!  Fortunately they came at about 815 am.  He checks all the indoor equipment and then goes outside.  Nothing looks out of the ordinary so he has to write it up for the "outside" tech to come out.  As he is leaving, we go thru the garage and he stops in his tracks and says "wait a minute".  Whirls around and looks at the plug on the wall and it was hanging in there by a thread!  Yup the transformer "plug-in" was backed out of the outlet!  It is one of those heavy little square plug-ins.  Well I was totally embarassed for having the tech have to come out for that, but thankful that that was all it was. So all 3 of us had a lesson in the garage to check that plug in first, if the internet goes out again!   

Our sweet boy is still at training!  I knew he was stubborn, but......Trainer said if he does good next couple of days, he can come home!   Yay, can't wait.  I will get on my phone and post his latest picture.  

Hope everyone is weathering this pandemic ok.  We are sheltering in place.  Maybe just going out for a drive.  Not stopping or getting out, just getting out of the house.  Now grandson has a sore throat and cough.  Took him to urgent care because his doctor is not available this coming week.  They checked him, said he looks good, his lungs sound good.  Just go home, take the Robitussin and gargle with salt water.  I have been throwing Alka-Seltzer in there at night.  It helps him sleep, plus curbs the cough.  

Nancy, your boy is turning into quite a handsome dude!  I know you must really miss him and I feel sorry for him, because when you get your hands on him you're going to hug him so hard it's going to hurt.

I hope your grandson get well quickly.

2 minutes ago, Plant said:

How much do I enjoy seeing your pictures!!  I hope everyone is doing well!

341269306_BrendaHortonatwork-2012.thumb.JPG.d2b42be7b4d5bf4d967aafc5182efe26.JPG

Here's a picture of Horton [front] and Brenda at work.  Brenda was about 12 years old and Horton was 2 1/2.  Horton took over her bed and barely fit into it.  

She showed tremendous restraint towards Horty.

• Like 2

Brenny looks so fluffy!  Bless her sweet heart.  And Mr. Horty, was still growing, he looks like a little tyke here!  Sweet baby boy.  i went out and bought an old fashion carpet sweeper.  No electric, no fancy gadgets, just plain ole arm power.  It sure is easier to use than pulling out the vacuum and de-hairing the hallway.  Our hall is about the size of a bowling alley anyway and as I walk up it and the sun shines on it, i see all the hair and dust bunnies that I had just cleaned up the day before.  Out comes the sweeper and poof, all gone.  Makes me happy.  

Hope everyone is still healthy and doing well.  We are staying in, unless a pharmacy ride or dr. appointment is necessary.  Pharmacy is at our grocery store, so I just pick up the few items we need and save an extra trip of going out.  I scored eggs and a cheap roll of paper towels today!  

22 minutes ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Brenny looks so fluffy!  Bless her sweet heart.  And Mr. Horty, was still growing, he looks like a little tyke here!  Sweet baby boy.  i went out and bought an old fashion carpet sweeper.  No electric, no fancy gadgets, just plain ole arm power.  It sure is easier to use than pulling out the vacuum and de-hairing the hallway.  Our hall is about the size of a bowling alley anyway and as I walk up it and the sun shines on it, i see all the hair and dust bunnies that I had just cleaned up the day before.  Out comes the sweeper and poof, all gone.  Makes me happy.  

Hope everyone is still healthy and doing well.  We are staying in, unless a pharmacy ride or dr. appointment is necessary.  Pharmacy is at our grocery store, so I just pick up the few items we need and save an extra trip of going out.  I scored eggs and a cheap roll of paper towels today!  

Toilet paper.......my Queendom for a roll of toilet paper!!!!!!  I've definitely changed my bathroom habits.  And, my poor hands......I've washed them raw!  

I'm waiting for the news to soon tell us that someone was robbed for their paper products!!!!!

Towards the end of Brenda's life she had developed Lypoma's [tumors] on both sides of her tummy.  They made her look so much bigger than she really was.  She was 12 1/2 when she developed them and the Vet said they were benign and as long as they didn't cause her any problems to just leave her alone.   Labs [especially pure-bred's] are notorious for growing these tumors all over their bodies and, unless they interfere with the dog's life, they're usually just left alone.  The Yellow Labs look really funny with these bumps because they're much more noticeable on them.

Horton is not a purebred and so far hasn't developed any, although I've been told the mix breeds can get them too! 

Edited by wizard-of-roz

It’s great hearing what everybody’s doing. Raylene’s best friend, the CCI yellow Lab hearing dog, came over for a doggie play date Sunday. Other than that, we’ve been taking social distancing very seriously. I’m finding it relaxing because my volunteer “job” doing monthly programs for the Hearing Loss Assoc chapter is on hold through May and who knows how long. It took a lot of my time, so I can start to get caught up on things around the house. Strange to not have lunches and dinners with all our friends, though.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:41 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

At the beginning of your Internet story, I was pawsitive Rocky was going to end up being the reason the internet wasn't working. For sure it was going to be a chewed cord. Forgot he was at training. Haha

Please stay safe! ❤️

On 3/23/2020 at 8:01 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

341269306_BrendaHortonatwork-2012.thumb.JPG.d2b42be7b4d5bf4d967aafc5182efe26.JPG

Here's a picture of Horton [front] and Brenda at work.  Brenda was about 12 years old and Horton was 2 1/2.  Horton took over her bed and barely fit into it.  

She showed tremendous restraint towards Horty.

❤️❤️

52 minutes ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Oh Cindy, Mr. Oakie is so cute. My friend, has a white lab, Otis, his facial features are just like Oakies.  Such very regal boys!  Rocky likes to lay across my lap like Oakie is doing.  ❤️

Thanks Nancy. He's definitely a keeper

36 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Toilet paper.......my Queendom for a roll of toilet paper!!!!!!  I've definitely changed my bathroom habits.  And, my poor hands......I've washed them raw!  

I'm waiting for the news to soon tell us that someone was robbed for their paper products!!!!!

Towards the end of Brenda's life she had developed Lypoma's [tumors] on both sides of her tummy.  They made her look so much bigger than she really was.  She was 12 1/2 when she developed them and the Vet said they were benign and as long as they didn't cause her any problems to just leave her alone.   Labs [especially pure-bred's] are notorious for growing these tumors all over their bodies and, unless they interfere with the dog's life, they're usually just left alone.  The Yellow Labs look really funny with these bumps because they're much more noticeable on them.

Horton is not a purebred and so far hasn't developed any, although I've been told the mix breeds can get them too! 

So did you get it?? After this I'm never washing my hands again!! My hands are raw and itchy. Luckily John "Mr. Lotion" has every cream on earth and has this Cera Ve hand cream for itchy skin. I slather it on before I go to bed and it's wonderful! Stops the itch immediately and when I wake up they are back to normal, til the next night ☹️

Wexler got a few lumps. One big on on the side of his scrawny chest that really showed and a few others. He was a mix but Brendas nephew, maybe he got them from her side of the family. 😂

33 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

It’s great hearing what everybody’s doing. Raylene’s best friend, the CCI yellow Lab hearing dog, came over for a doggie play date Sunday. Other than that, we’ve been taking social distancing very seriously. I’m finding it relaxing because my volunteer “job” doing monthly programs for the Hearing Loss Assoc chapter is on hold through May and who knows how long. It took a lot of my time, so I can start to get caught up on things around the house. Strange to not have lunches and dinners with all our friends, though.

Glad Raylene got to have some fun! Poor Oak has no friends around here. 

Please stay safe! They said all the New Yorkers are heading down to Florida and the Carolinas to get away from NY but not knowing if they're infected. 😮

44 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Good time to start that Spring cleaning!

My daughter checks up on me daily........and balls me out if I tell her I need to go to the store eventually.  I swear, whatever happened to the stores that were open 24 hours......you could sneak in and shop and avoid every other weirdo who was shopping at that ungodly hour!!!!!

10 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Glad Raylene got to have some fun! Poor Oak has no friends around here. 

Please stay safe! They said all the New Yorkers are heading down to Florida and the Carolinas to get away from NY but not knowing if they're infected. 😮

Poor New York has really been hit hard with this!  Our hearts are with all of you!

We have a teenager about 20 miles from me who just passed away from the virus.  So sad!

16 minutes ago, rangeley said:

So did you get it?? After this I'm never washing my hands again!! My hands are raw and itchy. Luckily John "Mr. Lotion" has every cream on earth and has this Cera Ve hand cream for itchy skin. I slather it on before I go to bed and it's wonderful! Stops the itch immediately and when I wake up they are back to normal, til the next night ☹️

Wexler got a few lumps. One big on on the side of his scrawny chest that really showed and a few others. He was a mix but Brendas nephew, maybe he got them from her side of the family. 😂

If you're referring to the 35 rolls of TP that I ordered from Amazon on March 10th.....I was emailed last night that the product has been "discontinued"........what a pile of moron's.  I gave them a horrible review.  I don't blame Amazon but they should be more careful about the companies who sell through them!!!!

26 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

If you're referring to the 35 rolls of TP that I ordered from Amazon on March 10th.....I was emailed last night that the product has been "discontinued"........what a pile of moron's.  I gave them a horrible review.  I don't blame Amazon but they should be more careful about the companies who sell through them!!!!

Oh no!!!! John has a pill that has to be taken with vitamin c. Little did I know everyone on earth is buying it up to boost their immune system. And of course we are all out. We even called our pharmacy and they have none. I finally scoffed up 2 bottles on a GNC website. Bought 2 bottles and shipping, $29.00. Ugh  Had no choice but to buy it. Went back on Amazon and preordered 2 bottles for 6 bucks a piece. Will be here some time before the end of April. The GNC one Friday.

Edited by rangeley

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Oh no!!!! John has a pill that has to be taken with vitamin c. Little did I know everyone on earth is buying it up to boost their immune system. And of course we are all out. We even called our pharmacy and they have none. I finally scoffed up 2 bottles on a GNC website. Bought 2 bottles and shipping, $29.00. Ugh  Had no choice but to buy it. Went back on Amazon and preordered 2 bottles for 6 bucks a piece. Will be here some time before the end of April. The GNC one Friday.

My TA called to let us know that after 14 years he's being laid-off until things change for the cruising industry and then he'll be called back.  I've heard nothing from Princess in terms of my May 30th Alaska cruise.  As far as I know, we're still going......we'll see.  I have a lot of OBC's for this cruise.  If they give us a re-book who know's if they'll also give us all the "perks!"  Another, we'll see!

I'm exhausted with all the changes being made in our lives......The T.V. is now showing a lot of mental health ad's.  We're all gonna need some serious emotional therapy if and when we get through this nightmare!!!!  🙃

Our Hawaiian Cruise on April 20th just got canceled today. We are disappointed because it was an unusual itinerary and we had lots of perks. However, we were going to cancel anyway, but are glad that Celebrity canceled first because we get the choice between a refund or future cruise credit. Unfortunately, if we book another Hawaiian Cruise my service dog will need a new titer test. My husband said he would serve me unlimited drinks to make up for the drink package.