Was I On The Same Cruise? Maasdam 06/30 - 07/07

bostom

I don't think anyone ever said there was a problem.

The last couple of posts addressed your earlier post:

[/b]

and who picked up the bar tab.

I think both issues have been cleared nicely up by fcorey and janisutx. :)

Good to hear. Happy it has all been explained. :)

I wish fcorey and janisutx had been in the Lounge with us. It would have been a pleasure to share a cocktail with them as well. Perhaps another time.

Peaches -

However, inexplicably, HAL has sent us a letter saying it has given some (not a lot - my words) "Future Cruise Credit" to THEM! They weren't in the suite with us.

The ports were great. The food was fine. The suite and the customer service leave a lot to be desired. One of the engineers said that they get leaks frequently, that the ship was built in Italy with thin piping and that they don't replace the piping, just clamp it. I don't know .........

We're still negotiating.

Maybe HAL decided that your guests might be cruising HAL again, but that you were a lost cause and would be moving on! :D

I do wholeheartedly belief that they just do a patch job on this and many other problems such as plumbing and a/c on these ships. Very shortsighted.

Keep up the negotiating and don't settle for less than you know you are due. I most often don't agree with some of the nitpicking that goes on over a small OBC, but in your case I think you should be discussing another cruise and not just credit for a few drinks. Good luck and let us know what happens.

HAL acted appropriately, effectively and immediately and pleased their guest. Isn't that the whole story?

Absolutely, as I said they did the right thing :) or WWJDD ( What would James Deering do?) sorry couldnt resist.... its been a long day at work today

Good to hear. Happy it has all been explained. :)

I wish fcorey and janisutx had been in the Lounge with us. It would have been a pleasure to share a cocktail with them as well. Perhaps another time.

Sail any time! Wang Wangs are on me....possibly literally I am quite clumsy you know :D

Okay - I took the time to get caught up from yesterday morning -- it wasn't too much to read.

Harbormaster -- so sorry to hear about the leak in your suite. Hope you get something from HAL -- keep us posted.

Sorry to read that a couple had their luggage dumped in the Boston Barbor -- we have a lot of things that cann't be just washed. Hope nothing like that ever happens to us.

In that scenario, one would think to sue the city of town for an accident which occured on a municipal sidewalk. If it happened on your front walk, they would be a different story.

I'm not a lawyer :) but stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

My bad, Sail. I call my front walk a "sidewalk". Growing up in the country where we had neither a front walk or a sidewalk, I call them all sidewalks.

The point I was making was that the buck stops at HAL. If the passenger wanted to get nasty, they would go after HAL ... not the Teamsters Union.

HAL did, after all, take responsibility for the baggage at the pier so the responsibility clearly falls on them. If HAL wants to go after the Teamster's that's their right to do so, but the passenger would deal with HAL.

So it's not surprise that HAL might "kiss up" to the passenger.

(I'm not a lawyer either, but there are things I just know;) )

NOTE: I really should read and then post rather than post and then read ... I just see that FCorey explained all this very effectively and better than me.

NOTE: I really should read and then post rather than post and then read ... I just see that FCorey explained all this very effectively and better than me.

LOL, sadly what legal training I've had usually rears its head in the form of open mouth and insert foot so badly it need surgical removal.....

On the bright side of things, with so much lately being posted on how things are not handled properly or problems, this is a case where a problem was handled well and the passenger was happy

I've made an accidental entrance the BH myself, not as bad as the Hudson, but lets just say I wouldnt want to go swimming there :)

Agree with Fcorey

"HAL was absolutely responsible!"...

Passengers often check in at the curb for Flights...The logo of the Airline is usually on the curbside check in counter...However these baggage handlers are not always employed by the airline...

They are employed by a service who is under contract to the carrier & many of them are also unionized just like the "teamsters" baggage handlers in ports..

If your bag is lost or damaged the Airline is responsible, just like HAL is responsible when they accept your baggage at check-in..

I would have expected HAL to step up to the plate with this one & happy to hear they did...

Harbormaster, we hope that your claim can be resolved as well as this one was..Please let us know if you receive a satisfactory resolution to your claim..

Cheers every one..:) Betty

P.S. fcorey...Is that your beautiful LAB..Reminds me of Our Black Lab, "Sam" who lived to be 17..He was a character!

Betty, those skycaps make pretty good tip money!;)

You are absolutely right!...One of our Sailing Club Friends own's the service with 6 other guys, at our local Airport & his son had the service in Dallas...We keep kidding him that one day we are all going to break into his home & steal his mattress! ;) He's never hurting for $$$ & just the other day mentioned he plans to retire early...LOL

Cheers...:) Betty

P.S. fcorey...Is that your beautiful LAB..Reminds me of Our Black Lab, "Sam" who lived to be 17..He was a character!

Thanks Betty, thats our youngest furry child Nugget, we adopted him from a shelter in Arkansas last year, they had him for nearly 18 months and he was going to be euthanized. He's a "BLAB" beagle and lab mix, looks kind of like a 7-8 month old lab puppy. He's a great dog. We also have a 13yr old Golden retriever, Dakota, and our other adoptee, Star, she's 9yrd old Shepherd/Collie mix

nugget.jpg.4189ee2bb0832009cd834816f0a09e5d.jpg

kota.jpg.6b4e75e731c2a2949ed31e2d9a3adbd3.jpg

star.jpg.8d164b0090b4f43c16653353292d4ed6.jpg

pups.jpg.68d6ca5198de837f5debc6bbed769aaa.jpg

Thanks Betty, thats our youngest furry child Nugget, we adopted him from a shelter in Arkansas last year, they had him for nearly 18 months and he was going to be euthanized. He's a "BLAB" beagle and lab mix, looks kind of like a 7-8 month old lab puppy. He's a great dog. We also have a 13yr old Golden retriever, Dakota, and our other adoptee, Star, she's 9yrd old Shepherd/Collie mix

They are all so beautiful!...Thanks for sharing them..

This is our first small dog & she's such a delight... We love to travel on long cruses but can't take a "World" Cruise because of our 7 yr old Baby Doxi "Brandy"..Could not leave her for more than a month, as we both miss her too much!...We put pics of her on our Cabin Mirrors...Please don't tell our Grandkids!;)

Besides travel my other passion is animals..Have been trying to figure out a way to have a Puppy Cruise, but don't think any Cruise Line, would have us;)

Guess I should have been a Vet..:) Betty

P.S. Sorry folks for hi-jacking this thread..

Being a dog owner and lover of pets, I think this thread has turned for the better.

So, Bob, are you saying the thread has gone to the dogs????:)

Seriously, those are magnificent dogs, Frank! We're dog lovers ourselves and one of the reasons we don't travel for more than 2 weeks at a time is we can't leave her behind any longer.

As for this thread, I think it's been an excellent one. A lot of very good information has come out here with little bickering and animosity. I've enjoyed it.

Nice dogs, Frank!

Thanks John, I have to keep Star, the shepherd mix from flirting with our neighbors across the street, our town K-9 officer has 2 retired and 1 active duty shepherd which she is very smitten with :)

Betty, they tend to bring out the best in their owners dont they...Sorry for hijacking the thread everyone :)

I agree, this thread had lots of good feedback, exactly what the forum is known for

Add me in with the dog lovers!

If a dog likes you, you can't be a 'bad' person!

Know what you mean about hating to leave them! Don't want to think of how much we spent calling home to check up - we knew they were in good hands but...........just had to check-in!:D

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I just read the string of posts on the luggage in the harbor and I can't believe that anyone would even suggest that HAL is not responsible because they paid a third party contractor to handle the luggage. I am an attorney and I can tell you that they were 100% liable. Frankly, I would expect a lot more than a few free drinks for the trouble and aggravation. If my clothes were dropped in Boston Harbor, free drycleaning and a few drinks would not have gotten HAL off the hook. Harbormaster I commend you being such a good sport.

...........I am sorry but I have to ask Sail if she is any way affiliated with HAL or otherwise gets any special treatment from them for being their most loyal spokeperson. I am not being negative, but her comments really strain credulity.........

Objection, Your Honor! Question was asked and answered (Answer was No);)

As a sidenote: There are folks here who go out and try to enjoy their cruise, have a positive attitude and, even when confronted with "ship happens", make an honest attempt to not let that bother the enjoyment of their cruise! The gent whose suitcases were dropped in Boston Harbor comes to mind.

Things go wrong all the time on ships as they do on other mechanical contraptions like our cars. When ship happens, they (the cruise line) attempts to make it right (fix it) which a. is not always easy, b. might take longer than expected because, hey, we're in the middle of the ocean and Manny, Moe and Jack are not readily available or c. is impossible due to the extent of the problem (see Oosterdam's a-pod last year). Yep crappy toilets and leaky sprinklers are a problem for the affected guests and need to be taken care of ASAP. If they are not, the cruise line loses customers

Food quality, quantity and presentation is objective, is it not? No problems for some, the end of civilization for others! Same with nightly entertainment. Service problems with the staff? Take it higher, if no improvement, say adieu to HAL. Like I said before, we all have choices. Didn't like this one? Go to the next one or get a dog!;)

Go to the next one or get a dog!;)

But John, I already have three...:D well said though and point taken. THe dead horse was beaten pretty badly on this board lately. People should be able to post a review of a trip and not have to worry about being flamed or attacked. In the words of Dalton "Opinions vary....."

......Food quality, quantity and presentation is objective, is it not?........

Sorry, should read "subjective" (not objective) - the perils of ESL and/or got hit by the blades of a windmill too many times when growing up:eek:

Sorry, should read "subjective" (not objective) - the perils of ESL and/or got hit by the blades of a windmill too many times when growing up:eek:

Lol, the dangers of windmills......they'll get you every time, being of sicilian decent I was just glad that the dutch were the ones with wooden clogs and not something my mother wore...when she got real mad the shoes came off.....she had really good aim too :D

Archived