Has anyone been stranded somewhere because they didn't have a passport?

This will save us a lot of money' date=' at least for our Feb. cruise...I knew the gov. would drag this out ![/quote']

Actually, last I heard, they haven't budged off the January 2008 date for mandatory passports for cruises. If you're cruising in February, you will need them (at least at this time):)

I know passports are not required right now for cruising from the US, but do know that one person (a 32 year old guy) was "supposed" to be on the Alaskan cruise we took in May. His mother had her passport and all the documentation, he on the other hand read he needed documentation like a passport or birth certificate, but must have thought that meant everyone else and not him. He came to the dock with a drivers license and was not allowed on board and got to wave bye bye to mom from the dock as she sailed away to Alaska. She told us he knew about the requirements and she had talked to him about it, but he didn't take it serious. A passport is good for 10 years now, (first one I got in the 70's was only good for 5) and is well worth the cost.

Per my PVP, passports are NOT REQUIRED for a cruise leaving the good 'ole USA. They will be required next year though. Carnival recommends that we have them, but they aren't required.

I don't think they should have budged on the requirement to have them the first of 2007. It was known for over a year that you needed them but Americans being Americans don't want to take responsiblity for themselves and whined to government officials that they didn't have time to get a passport. Duh, yeah if you wait until a week before your trip.

Actually, last I heard, they haven't budged off the January 2008 date for mandatory passports for cruises. If you're cruising in February, you will need them (at least at this time):)

Just wanted to echo comments posted by others regarding the advantages of having a passport. My wife's aunt and uncle were on the Glory in 2004 along with her parents, and due to a medical emergency, her uncle had to be taken off the ship when they were anchored off Belize. They did not have passports at the time, and to make a long story short, it was a real nightmare for them to get home. They did not have travel insurance either, which added to their dilemma, but that's another topic for another day. In the end, his wife had to go to the embassy in Belize for help, and they were able to execute temporary passports for them to get home. Fortunately, this story had a happy ending and her uncle is currently doing fine. He had a history of heart problems before this cruise, and he was taken off the ship because he did have a mild heart attack. After listening to their story, I could not imagine how scared I would be to be "stuck" in an unfamiliar place in that type of situation (especially with a loved one in a medical emergency in a place where the health care is less than desirable) not knowing what to do when they tell you that you can't go anywhere. I know that my family and I will never travel outside the country without a passport ever again!

You would think Carnival would say that in their FAQ about new passport req.

Saves us a bunch too. ;)

I have never been stranded and never had to be saved but have read many horror stories. Our cruise in August 2006, a man had to be picked up by an ambulance in St Thomas and his whole family of course got off the ship with him- heart attack....with all the security issues.... I would have a passport. I know it is a lot of money but better safe than sorry. All you could do would be to stand on the dock and say I wish I had spent that extra money.... Happy cruising!!!

I am not sure why a passport would be needed to fly from St. Thomas, which is part of the US :confused: However I do recommend passports for all cruises, even if they start and end in the US.

I just wanted to add, that yes it is expensive (we did it last year family of 4) I did one every other month. Waited untill my daughter turned 14 so only one of us needed to take her. And my son to turn 16 so he will be good for 10 years. Planning a family cruise people normally do it a year in advance. So speading out your passports makes it not so hard on the wallet, and now you can look for great buys for a last minute cruise.

As I stated in another post, THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED! Save your money for more important things, like excursions and drinks!

spacer.gifspacer.giffaq.gifspacer.gifWhat are the new passport requirements?spacer.gif

CRUISE TRAVEL The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details. This requirement may become effective as early as Summer 2008.

Carnival strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation; and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications. Additionally, it will greatly help to expedite their debark process.

AIR TRAVEL

I just wanted to add, that yes it is expensive (we did it last year family of 4) I did one every other month. Waited untill my daughter turned 14 so only one of us needed to take her. And my son to turn 16 so he will be good for 10 years. Planning a family cruise people normally do it a year in advance. So speading out your passports makes it not so hard on the wallet, and now you can look for great buys for a last minute cruise.

I agree with the planning in advance, we were all set to do that, IF it were mandatory...

There are 7 of us ( 5 boys ), so saving about $700. will be nice.

passports are not required on cruise ships as of now, that can change on January 2008. But who knows they always change the date

If it does change, it won't be an immediate change..we ARE talking about the US government !

Enjoy the savings...;)

We will not be spending the money on passports this year but will next year!! On our last cruise I forgot to bring our birth cert. and we still got on and off the ship pretty easy!! And the cruise before that they never even checked for them!! I'm not saying that you shouldn't get them because things can happen. But for us its just to much money before we go. Also we fly in the day before so we won't miss the boat. Oh and I don't recommend trying to go without a birth cert., you'll be worried the whole cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Im in the same situation, I was worried about not having the passports, I called Carnival and they said I don't need them, but after reading this bulletins I feel much better, I will not be the only without passports.

Hey my next concern is during my trip the Sox and the Yankees will be playing eachother. Do you think this will be televised on the Ship?

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!! 8/26/07 Carnival Liberty

I don't think they should have budged on the requirement to have them the first of 2007. It was known for over a year that you needed them but Americans being Americans don't want to take responsiblity for themselves and whined to government officials that they didn't have time to get a passport. Duh, yeah if you wait until a week before your trip.

Ann Barret the US official in charge of passports actually went on record to say that part of the log jam in getting passports turned around was because of people who have applied for them with no immediate travel plans. It looks to me that after years of mismanagement they will point the finger of blame to the procrastinators and those you try to think ahead equally. It's the government....

My PERSONAL opinion:

I have a passport, my boyfriend doesnt.

We had NO problems what so ever on our cruise in 2005 (and cruises before then) - he carried his Florida's Driver's License along with his birth certificate on and off the ship - no delays, no problems.

Since there has been recent changes, I have read on several GOVERNMENT sites online along with asking my Carnival Rep. about the new regulations. - because we are set to go on the Destiny on Sept. 9 (out of Puerto Rico).

All the information that I have received is the same: No passports needed for cruising in the carribbean.

Now reading the previous posts, it does make sense that if you have an emergency at one of the ports and must fly home - then there might be a problem. Regardless of the situation, i do not think it will be such a huge deal not having a passport considering the circumstances - in an emergency situation - and what are the chances of an emergency?

It is alway BEST to have a passport, but I woudlnt spend the $400 -use it on the ship or for excursions to have fun!!

Or on the other hand, has anyone been saved because they had their passport? I know it's best to get ours, but it will cost nearly $400 for the whole family to get them. We will be traveling with 2 young boys and that is a huge expense for us. Please give me your opinions on which way to go on this one.

Not a bash, but your worried about paying $400.00 for a passport but not worried about being stranded in a country w/o one, which could cost you more than $400.00. You travel safe, be travel safe and get the passports.

Ann Barret the US official in charge of passports actually went on record to say that part of the log jam in getting passports turned around was because of people who have applied for them with no immediate travel plans. It looks to me that after years of mismanagement they will point the finger of blame to the procrastinators and those you try to think ahead equally. It's the government....

This is true. My DH and I applied for our passports on June 22. I received an email this morning that said they had been mailed and we would be getting them about August 15. We did not ask for them to be sent to us faster than normal, in fact we had a December date as to when we would need them. It is vital that you put some kind of date on it so you can get them at a faster pace.

Im in the same situation, I was worried about not having the passports, I called Carnival and they said I don't need them, but after reading this bulletins I feel much better, I will not be the only without passports.

Hey my next concern is during my trip the Sox and the Yankees will be playing eachother. Do you think this will be televised on the Ship?

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!! 8/26/07 Carnival Liberty

countdown.pl?name=Boston Dee&date=8-26-2007&image=Beach-2&text=Red Sox Fan On Board&ship=Carnival Liberty

Two years ago we did not have passports and we were using out BC's and DL's for id. To make a long story short, DH lost his wallet with his idea and our money. It was heck coming home. He sent me first thru every line so I could "help" us get thru security and customs. lol Needless to say when we got home we applied for passports.

The OP is incorrect. You do need them to cruise. They are well worth the money as they are good for 10 years.

The last thing you would want, anyways, is for your kids to get sick or hurt in a foreign country. They would not be allowed to leave without a passport.

You can check this information with your Carnival Rep.

They are required!

They are not required yet for cruise travel to many areas (Ie: Caribbean, Mexico, Canada) but are for air travel. They are required for cruises in the "Far East" the Mediterranean, etc. The cruise travel requirement begins either Jan 08 or June 08, I've seen both. However, if one should have to leave the cruise early for some reason from an island, it would be a nightmare getting back to the States without one. We have ours as do 2 of our kids (that have needed them). They do get expensive.

The only post I saw about a couple missing the ship and being unable to catch up to the it indicated they did have passports but left them on the ship. That's a whole different thread. They also claimed that they had no way of knowing that ship time and local time were different, a point disputed by many.

Archived