Trying Princess - Help Me Decide

boatlover

Hello All -

Friday was my 40th b-day and as a gift my husband is sending me on a cruise with my cousin while he stays home with the children. I am choosing Princess because I have a credit (from the Star fire, we were booked on a cruise a few weeks after that was canceled) and we might as well enjoy, maybe use to upgrade cabins. I'm certain Princess offers a quality experience and am excited to give it a try.

We have decided on early November. So, need to book soon so we can get a cabin we desire. I've cruised the Caribbean several times but always enjoy the sun and relaxation, plus we only want to be gone 8 nights (one night pre-cruise in Ft. Lauderdale to hopefully avoid flight / luggage delays) and flights to Ft. Lauderdale are plentiful and non-stop. This will be my cousins first cruise and I think Caribbean is the best choice for us.

So, my questions:

1. Do we go with the Caribbean Princess or Grand Princess? Leaning towards Caribbean Princess, no real reason and could easily be talked into the Grand. Both itineraries look fine, each has strengths and weaknesses. Is one in better shape? We aren’t looking for perfection, just a comfortable setting. Is one significantly larger? Don’t know many details about the Princess fleet.

2. What deck? We want to book a standard balcony cabin, maybe a mini-suite. I seem to remember certain decks have larger verandahs? We were booked in one of those cabins on the Star but can't remember the name. Caribe?? and isn't there another???

3. In general, how do cabin sizes / layout compare to Holland America and Celebrity? I guess it doesn’t matter, it is what it is, but I am just curious. I can’t imagine there is much difference. There are refrigerators in every cabin, right?

Thanks!!

Just off the CB - beautiful ship / well maintained / great service with a smile and a hello from all the staff you come into contact with. We had pre cruise night in Ft. Lauderdale at Embassy Suites on 17th street. We loved our balcony Riviera Deck room 625 - great location - deck below the Horizon Court/Caribe Cafe/and Terrace Pool - no noise. Please feel free to read my review of it from the member reviews for more info. Have a great cruise.

The Caribe deck is the one with the large balconies. The Caribbean Princess is a beautiful ship. You will love sailing on her if that's what you decide. Unfortunatly, I can not comment on the Grand as I have never sailed on her. Good luck making your decision and happy birthday! What a nice hubby you have! :)

Thank you for the info. The Caribbean Princess is the newer of the 2 ships, isn't it? I guess that doesn't always mean nicer though, sometimes older ships have had a refresh. I said I didn't care about the itineraries, but now that I have thought about it I like the Grand itinerary better, 2 ports I haven't visited before, Cozumel and Ocho Rios. Lots of negativity on these boards about Jamaica lately, curious to see for myself, and the idea of spending the day at an all inclusive sounds tempting. I'll try not to over think it. Either way it will be such a treat!

Thank you for the info. The Caribbean Princess is the newer of the 2 ships, isn't it? I guess that doesn't always mean nicer though, sometimes older ships have had a refresh. I said I didn't care about the itineraries, but now that I have thought about it I like the Grand itinerary better, 2 ports I haven't visited before, Cozumel and Ocho Rios. Lots of negativity on these boards about Jamaica lately, curious to see for myself, and the idea of spending the day at an all inclusive sounds tempting. I'll try not to over think it. Either way it will be such a treat!

Congrats on the birthday gift from your DH....what a sweetie!:) If you are thinking about a November cruise you should probably book as soon as possible. We are going on the Grand on Nov. 10, I just recently checked the princess website to see if by some chance we had been lucky enough to get a price drop. No such luck, the price of our BA category balcony cabin has gone up since we booked and it showed that all of the oceanview balcony cabins were waitlisted, don't know about the minisuites, though. Good luck, whichever cruise you choose and have a great time. If you decide on the Nov. 10 Grand Princess sailing, checkout the roll call for it, we've got a pretty active one going.:)

I've been on both and I would pick the Grand beacuse there are just too many people on the the Caribbean Princess. And the Grand still has a quiet peaceful indoor enclosed pool area instead of the loud annoying MUTS.

And the Grand still has a quiet peaceful indoor enclosed pool area instead of the loud annoying MUTS.

I thought about that, in general, if MUTS was too loud. I thought that the sound would only be available through headsets, but from other threads I have read recently it seems as though it is through speakers for all to hear??? So the Grand doesn't offer MUTS??

Also, and I know some of you will think I am crazy for spending any cruise time watching tv, but do cabins have dvd players? I don't have much time at home to keep up with some of the series so I was thinking I would rent some past seasons of House, Lost, 24... and catch up. I will probably pack my kids portable dvd player with the small screen and headphones but is there an in room dvd I can use? Probably only in suites? And what about movies, most cruises I have been on have had a movie channel or 2 with somewhat current releases playing, is this true with Princess?

I haven't been on the Grand but have sailed on CB twice. It's a terrific ship, with lots of places to tuck into. I like the itinerary - it has a good number of sea days. We all love MUTS...it's like a drive-in movie on the high seas.

Have fun!

I thought about that, in general, if MUTS was too loud. I thought that the sound would only be available through headsets, but from other threads I have read recently it seems as though it is through speakers for all to hear??? So the Grand doesn't offer MUTS??

Also, and I know some of you will think I am crazy for spending any cruise time watching tv, but do cabins have dvd players? I don't have much time at home to keep up with some of the series so I was thinking I would rent some past seasons of House, Lost, 24... and catch up. I will probably pack my kids portable dvd player with the small screen and headphones but is there an in room dvd I can use? Probably only in suites? And what about movies, most cruises I have been on have had a movie channel or 2 with somewhat current releases playing, is this true with Princess?

The suites have DVD players, I believe, but regular cabins don't. On the other hand, even if shlepping a portable player is a pain, you could watch it outdoors on deck while enjoying the sea air (They do have batteries, don't they? Or do they? Really, I'm so technology-challenged, I should just shut up now!). Princess does show movies on the cabin television, and yes, as you said, they're "somewhat current."

Happy birthday!

They are both beautiful ships. Either one will provide an enjoyable onboard experience.

For me it would come down to the ports - is this a cruise on which I care about them? Is there a particular place or shore excursion that is a "must"?

That being said, the western itinerary is the one for me. It might not be for you. DH and I love the stingrays in Stingray City at Grand Cayman and the Royal Dolphin Swim on Cozumel.

If you aren't a water baby, maybe it's the shopping that floats your boat....try reading the info on the ports of call and take a look at the shore excursion offerings. That may help you decide.

Whatever you choose, Bon Voyage and Happy Birthday!!!:D

Thanks for all of the good thoughts. Taking 1827cruise's advice I looked into availability, looks like it is pretty slim pickins for balcony cabins on CB or GP November 3/4 & 10/11. We hope to get something booked no later than tomorrow. I am going to try Grand first because I think it has a good itinerary. My cousin has not cruised before so an itinerary that has more ports / less sea days seems to be a better choice for her. Make sense? But we might just have to take what we get as far as ship. I'll post results.

In case you would like another opinion- looks like there are still a few balcony cabins available on the Grand for the second week at 50% off on the net- having cruised those Eastern and Western Caribbean routes for the past 25 years I would take the Grand with 500 less people aboard myself- beyond that the ships are basically identical. As far as Jamaica- Ocho Rios the first time is a great experience to climb Dunns River Falls- just book the yacht excursion tour directly from the ship and there will be no danger to deal with- you just get picked up off the dock and delivered back to the ship-

Please fell free to email me if I may be of further help in answering any questions.

Duane

I'd go with the CB. It's been our best cruise yet. Great staff, atmosphere and entertainment. We've done both itineraries offered for either of these cruises and both are good. If you end up going with the Western make sure to do the stingray swim in Grand Caymen.

We too, have done both ships, most recently the CP (May, '07), but have been on the Golden four times. They're laid out almost exactly the same; the Golden maybe less crowded, but with that many people, is there really much difference? Two things we loved about the CP, over the Golden: Cafe Caribe (best kept secret on the seas) and bigger, more well-equipped gym. If those things don't matter than pick by price, availability, itinerary, etc. Happy cruising. bj and me

I have been on both the CB and the Grand, CB only once and the Grand 3 times. I enjoyed all the experiences, and feel I cannot recommend one over the other. Perhaps I would give the CB the edge due to it being much newer. However, I think the Grand is a great experience too.

The Grand was the first model of this series and the CB eventually grew out of the Grand type design. So, you will see some improvements on the CB, but they also managed to pack in more people.

Some of my best cruising experiences include being on the upper deck of the Grand at sailaway not long after it returned to service after 9/11. Everyone was out along the inlet at FLL to watch, honk and cheer. Sailaway at anytime is special and that was extra special.

I highly recommend swimming with the sting rays at Grand Cayman, seeing Tulum if you like history, and swim shoes to be worn at Princess Cay if you plan to snorkel.

I just know you will enjoy your cruise whichever ship you choose. Next up for me is the CB this Fall.

The only balcony cabins we can get are on the Aloha deck, right below a pool. Too loud in early am with deck chairs being moved about? Anybody have any feedback on these? It's crazy, Princess tells me they have no balcony cabins available at all but a travel agent does, guess they have some blocked off.

Well, after a frenzy of spur of the moment planning, we have booked the Grand Princess. Kept getting conflicting reports from Princess direct and a travel agent regarding the availability of balcony cabins. Turns out we were able to get a balcony at the very back of Caribe deck, maybe there was a cancellation? Is that the deck with the larger balconies?

All in all the itinerary of the Grand won us over. I had been to each port on the Caribbean Princess itinerary, but on Grand Princess Cozumel and Ocho Rios will be new for me, along with Princess Cays.

Thanks!!

Rent a few dvds, take a portable radio/ipod with headphones. You will return from a wonderful vacation and probably not opened your dvds! Princess has a few cable tv channels as long as they have satelite visibility-and it does change as you move around the ocean/seas plus 2-3 music stations that play through the tv. I take a book, my personal stereo/radio, headphones and portable speakers. I tote them all to the pool, beach where ever I go. I usually finish the book [btw I read The DaVinci code in one day :( it goes too fast] and maybe change a cd. Personally I like tuning into the local radio stations when in port. The most memorable two radio listenings: in MoBay Jamaica, the only station I received well on my cheapo set was a religious program that played reggae and played call in trivia==all at the same time, the second was sailing out of another port and hearing Caribbean Queen as I was alone on the promenade deck of the Sky Princess by the pool. I felt like a queen!

Just off the CB - beautiful ship / well maintained / great service with a smile and a hello from all the staff you come into contact with. We had pre cruise night in Ft. Lauderdale at Embassy Suites on 17th street. We loved our balcony Riviera Deck room 625 - great location - deck below the Horizon Court/Caribe Cafe/and Terrace Pool - no noise. Please feel free to read my review of it from the member reviews for more info. Have a great cruise.

I was debating between the carribbean princess and grand princess. Like the itineary on the grand better, but it is an older ship. How did you find it..Is it showing it's age. Have you cruised before so that you can compare ships. all info will help. Have to book asap as I am trying to use my airfare. I had to cancel a cruise and I can rebook my air with a $30 penalty. We will be going around dec. 8th or 9th. depending on which ship

love that itineary. we are also contimplating the 2 ships. You can not walk around jamaica, but there is a shuttle bus to a shopping area. It was very nice, you can swim there, but do not remember the price. Just Do Not Walk around jamaica. We also like that itineary better. We have done both before but the carribbean is a new ship.

I've been on both and I would pick the Grand beacuse there are just too many people on the the Caribbean Princess. And the Grand still has a quiet peaceful indoor enclosed pool area instead of the loud annoying MUTS.

glad to see someone who has done both. We like the itineary better on the grand, but we know the ship is older and most times we do not like the older ship. being you have done both you recommend the carribbean over the grand. We are going dec. 8th or 9th depending on which ship we take. Do you have any more info. Also we are doing the air on our own, do you know how much a taxi is to the seaport, prefer not to do transfers.

Archived