Capilano Susp Bridge in Vancouver

Lorabelle

A few questions for anyone who has been there.

First of all, how far is it from downtown Vancouver and is there some sort of public transportation that can take us there?

We also were wondering how much time to allot for the bridge and other activities at the park. It looks as if there are some totems and a few hiking trails. Is this an all day attraction, or is it doable in a couple of hours?

Thanks for any information,

Lori

It is only a few miles from downtown Vancouver - you can get there by bus and the amount of time you spend depends on how much you want to enjoy the bridge - the bridge is adjacent to Capilano Regional Park - which has more hiking trails, fish hatchery and you could walk up hill to the Cleveland Dam and gorgeous views of the Lions - pick up the bus here and either return to Vancouver or continue up to the Grouse mt gondola - your bus ticket is good for ninety minutes of travel in any direction.

I am sure that Grouchy or Ell55 will be able to add to this post.

Enjoy your visit to Vancouver

Dennis

lori...

i went to capilano suspension bridge last year after my cruise ended. we rented a car which we got at about 10 am. our plane took off at 6 pm from YVR. we drove straight to capilano park and i beleive the drive only took us about 15-20 minutes. its located in north vancouver.

for us the park was doable in about 1.5 hours. the main highlight of course is the bridge itself. all the walking trails are really on the opposite side of the bridge. when you enter the park you'll see the totem poles. theres probably 5-10 total. it shouldn't take you all day to do everything.

as far as public transportation. i beleive i remember seeing a bus that was dropping people off? but i'm not positive. if you drive yourself there's a little lot across the street where you can park for like $3CDN

you want to do? Are you just going to do the bridge and take photos or do some hiking and then do Treetops and maybe have lunch? Want to combine Grouse mountain? As a local,we spent 2 1/2 hours there a few weeks ago. I can give you bus info if you like? That way you can relax and see the sites.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Attractions/attractions/capilano.html

It's not far from downtown, but how long it takes to get there is dependent on time of day and traffic. If you're driving, and hit peak traffic times, you could be in for a loooong drive!

If you want to go on public transit (Translink), you might consider taking the seabus over to Lonsdale Quay on the North Shore and transferring to a bus that will take you to Capilano. (Continuing on the same bus would get you to Grouse Mtn). By taking the seabus, you avoid the traffic congestion through downtown and across the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Here's a link to a Translink page for trip planning. You just plug in where and when you want to go and it will give you a trip plan describing what buses to take.

As for how long at the park: it really depends on what your interests are. It's doable in 1.5 to 2 hrs. More if you like to explore and read all the signs ;)

Ell :)

We are going to have 1 day before our cruise to explore Vancouver. Originally we had planned to go the Capilano Bridge, but after some web browsing I started to worry that we wouldn't have enough time to see all we wanted to see just in downtown Vancouver. Am I accurate in thinking we can easily spend a whole day just exploring downtown? Thanks for any input. Linda

We went and spent 2 days in Vancouver....start early at Capilano...then go to Grouse Mountain...then downtown or reverse....downtown early....then Capilano right after lunch....

Note: if you are up on Grouse Mountain you can see the ships leave around 4-6 p.m. However, also note if you do the first way...and end up downtown make sure you go to Stanley Park and Lookout Point or Prospect Point or some name like that and watch ALL THE SHIPS PASS UNDER THE BRIDGE!!!! It was wonderful! Seeing cruise line after cruise line slip out of the bay!!!

Lou

Capilano Suspension Bridge is definitely worth the time and effort.

A short bus or cab ride from the dock.

Once there enjoy the totem poles and gardens plus the new added tree top walk on the far side of the bridge.

I usually combine this with a trip to Grouse Mountain which is only another 5 minutes further up the road. At Grouse Mountain you can spend as much or as little time as you wish. On a clear day you enjoy wonderful views from the top of the mountian.

Thanks everyone for all the info so far. So it sounds like we could be in and out of there in a few hours if need be, but there is plenty to do if we have more time to hike around a bit. Our time is so limited in Vancouver as we'll only be there one night.

We may also hit the aquarium or just jump on the trolley to see the city. If you have any recommendations or suggestions I'd love to hear more!

Lori

Dear Lori

My favorites for visitors to Vancouver are Capilano Suspension Bridge (was there today with my Grandson) & Grouse Mountain, Take the time to drive around Stanley Park stopping at the totem poles, light house at Brockton Point and at Prospect Point for photos & to enjoy the view.

follow the above up with a quick walk thru Gastown to see the steam clock & statue of Gassy Jack - while there enjoy the history of British Columbia at Storyeum - a 70 minute presentation where you walk thru 9 theatres to enjoy the multi media presentation -

When you have finished with the above hop over 4 blocks to China Town (the largest north of San Francisco and see the world's thinnest building - only 6' wide.

If you have more time take a bus tour of Vancouver - which will I am sure encorporate many oft he above items.

Still more time then here are some options

If you like Gardens -

visit a Classical Chinese Garden in China Town - Dr Sun Yet Sen's or

Go to Queen Elizabeth Park (known to locals as Little Mountain) or

visit our Botanical gardens

If you prefer museums

Visit our Maritime museum where the ship the St Roch is housed - this is the RCMP ship whcih ssailed from Vancouver to Halifax via the Artic in 1942-43 taking 20 months for the voyage. It returned to Vancovuer in 1944 in 10 mos.

or

Check out Burnaby Village Museum

or visit Granville Island Public market

these are but a few suggestions

Enjoy

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!! Just in time too as we leave for Vancouver in the morning. I've only passed through from the airport to the dock once on a previous cruise. I thought the city was beautiful and have wanted to spend some time there. We only have one evening and have to board the ship the following afternoon. We plan to make the most of it though. Your suggestions will certainly help!

Lori

Archived