Incredible footage.

Stockjock

That reminds me of when I was a teen. Cod fishing in the north Atlantic in november. It was cold, rough and wet. I went twice same 65' charter boat. Not as sick the second time I even ate my sandwich. Still wish I went to school them 2 days. My dad and I still talk about it when the cruise ships bounce a little.LOL

Wow that brings back memories. Looked just like my cruise in 1998 to New Zealand/Australia on the old Sky Princess. Some of the crew started calling us the "Skytanic". We had run into a tropical storm and the waves went over the front of the boat. When we actually reached Sidney, some said if the ship was smaller, we would have turned over. The ship was rocking and rolling for 5 days out of the 14 and missed 3 ports. I had booked an outside cabin and 3 days into the cruise they came and closed the porthole covers.
I hope they reimbursed you the difference between an ocean view cabin and an inside cabin for those days.

• 2 weeks later...

I no I must be crazy but I would have loved it! The rougher the better, to me it's like a great amusement park ride. We were hit by a tropical storm off Haiti

years back there were only 10 people in the dining room for dinner and they had placed barf bags everywhere what fun.

Jerry

This ship was formerly known as the Olympic Voyager - no relation to Voyager of the Seas. She was built for Royal Olympic Cruise Line as the fastest ship in the world and was later renamed Olympia Voyager. She is now chartered to Iberojet as Voyager or Grand Voyager. I experienced the best cruise ever on board - not quite as "exciting" as the video, but everything about it was just plain outstanding. I feel sorry for the crew and passengers who were on board during that horrible storm!

Liz

• 3 weeks later...

I was impressed by the rigidityof the ship. A 800 ft ship that twists so much had some good engineering that kept it from breaking in two.

My wife and mine worst experience was on a ferry from the South Island to North Island of New Zealand. About 50 miles distance. A cyclone was passing 300 miles to the north and this 600 ft Ferry with railroad cars in the hold, trucks and cars in the upper hold was being tossed about in 35 ft seas and 50 mph gale winds. I remember walking (actually grapsing) my way to a forward porthole. The waves were breaking over the bow and surf was rising 50 ft above the bow! Yet the ship was stable and well pilotted. You get a gut feeling that this is going to be ok.

Back in the 60's a ferry of an earlier design foundered in similar conditions. I belive ships are built better today.

Archived