Where or where has that packing thread gone?

ministocking

Back in the winter there was a wonderful thread with tips about what to take on a cruise (exa:highlighters to mark daily activities, power strips, over the door shoe bags for small items). Foolishly, I didn't bookmark or print the thread back then...now with less than a month till cruise time:D I sure would like to take another look! I tried the search feature but can't come up with the correct key words to pull it up. Could any of you help me resurrect this thread?

Thanks! Holly

Back in the winter there was a wonderful thread with tips about what to take on a cruise (exa:highlighters to mark daily activities, power strips, over the door shoe bags for small items). Foolishly, I didn't bookmark or print the thread back then...now with less than a month till cruise time:D I sure would like to take another look! I tried the search feature but can't come up with the correct key words to pull it up. Could any of you help me resurrect this thread?

Thanks! Holly

Ministocking:

Here is a link to a packing list, courtesy of CC member Candy, the Zuider Princess (thank you, Candy!:)).

For what it's worth, I have never packed a highlighter, a power strip, or an over-the-door shoe bag for my cruises, and yet I've still managed to pack way more than I need;).

Good luck:)

Karin

This was the first time we took the over the door shoe bag and found it was great to keep all sorts of things in...like the camera, flashlight, sun tan lotion, etc. It kept everything well organized and easy to find. We always take a power strip.

I know the thread you are talking about...It was titled something like what thing can't you do without on a cruise..Some very good suggestions as well as some very funny things..It was pages & pages..But, can't find it either...

This Cruise Critic thread is about 2 years old & has some very good tips on it..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=185128&highlight=packing

Another good site:

http://www.cruiseclues.com/packinglist.htm#cruisepackingtips

In my search I just picked up a great tip on another thread for packing necklaces & chains, so they don't become knotted..Had never seen this one before..

"Get yourself a few straws - cut them to half (or a little less) the length of the necklace chain - drop one end of the chain through the straw and clasp the chain shut.Your necklaces will travel tangle free.

If the chain is thick - go to your favorite fast food or coffee bar and get a thicker shake straw. "

Have fun on your cruise..:) Betty

Ahoy!

This is 'our' list that we update yearly. We tend to go on 15+ day cruises so the items/ quantites, etc. may not meet your needs. Some items, like a roll of scotch tape may seem a bit foolish (but I like to tape schedules, excursion tickets and maps for the next port day, etc.to the room mirror). I also have a medical degree so some of the prescription items certainly may not be applicable. I'll try to cut and paste so it may not look as organized as a normal word document. Have a great cruise!

Bon Voyage,

Bob:)

CRUISE PACKING LIST

DOCUMENTATION / CASH

Cruise & Airline tickets, Vouchers and Transfers

Travel insurance, Prescriptions, other medical records if needed

Passports, Vaccination certificates, Driver’s licenses, Int’l drivers permit, Scuba cards

Cash : $100 singles (tips), $1250 USD, $750 Travelers checks (emergency), Foreign $

Plastic (notify precruise if overseas): Debit Card, American Express, Visa

#3 Copies of passports, licenses, certifications, Rx’s, contact list, lost card ph#

(Copies: On person, ship safe, home kitchen counter)

Travel $ Bank Valise, Purse & Wallet

CARRY ON BAG

Documentation items and cash

Jewelry

Extra prescription glasses / contacts / sun glasses

Toilet bag with prescriptions / package hand wipes

Change of clothing X 1 day / flip flops

Neck pillow / ear plugs / ear phones (airline)

Chewing gum / lozenges / nasal strips

Digital Cameras

Reading material / book matches / smokes

Munchies / granola bars / bottled water

Car keys / Change

LAPTOP BAG (CARRY ON) – (use port internet cafes only for web / phone)

Laptop (loaded with music, other), power cord, and #2 mini speakers, wireless mouse

Power strip, 3 in 1 grounded plug, 1 on 1 ungrounded plug, overseas adapter(s)

8’ extension cord, #1 night light, spare laptop battery

Camera charger cords, camera instruction manuals and receipt copies (laptop also)

Small shell case: blank CD-R’s, copy of system restore and recent backup discs.

Small pocket calculator, sharpie (label discs), lens paper, spare memory cards

LUGGAGE ( CHECK IN) – items packaged in 2.5 gal Hefty bags

ONE WEEK SUPPLY :Underwear, socks, t-shirts, panties (easy wash), bras (X2 + strapless) , slips (X1)

Dress socks (br./ blk) , panty hose (X2)

Shirts / Blouses (touring / casual / formal) – patterns, solids, camis, light overshirts

Slacks ( touring / casual / informal)- brown, black, grey, tencel blk with pockets

Shoes ( touring-athletic / casual / formal)

Tux or Dark suit / Evening formal wear

Sport coat / Dinner jacket

Shorts (X2) / Bathing Suits (X2) / (+/-)Workout outfits

Sandals / Beach thongs / Scuba booties (rocky beaches, etc.)

Belts / Ties

Cummerbund / Studs / Cuff Links

Scarves (1-2) / Wraps / Sarongs (1 short / 1 long)

Windbreaker / (+ / -) coat, sweater / lightweight ponchos or raincoats

5. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS (LUGGAGE)

Cigarettes / Lighters (+/-) Small hairdryer

#2 Travel clocks Maps, tour guides

Wine opener Extra 2.5 gal Hefty bags / 1 gal.

# 6 Wooden cloths pins (drapes / hang ups) #2 Spare duffle bags (beach / souvenirs)

# 2 Suction cup hooks Small back pack (touring)

Stain pen Post it note pad & Legal pad

Extra pens, highlighter, sharpie Scotch tape & small duct tape

*Small Tool Kit :eyeglass repair, Swiss army knife, hemostat, tweezers, iris scissors,

Mini pliers, screwdriver combo, electric tape, super glue.*

Sun hat ( if not worn in transit) / Sun block, Small binoculars

Hand Wipe packets Writing Paper, stamps

Sketch pad / pencils ,Small flashlight

(+/-) snorkel gear / fins, (+/-) wet skins

Knitting, knitting scissors Diary

TRAVEL BATH BAG

Toothbrush / toothpaste Stain remover stick

Dental floss Ear plugs

Nail / Toe trimmers Q tips

Tweezers / trimming scissors Pepto / Antacid tabs

Nail file A & D ointment

Chap stix / cough drops Bandaids

Hairbrush / comb Stick deodorant

Rx’s (small bottles) : Benadryl, Pepsid / Prevacid / Nexium, Claratin, CTM, Lomotil,

Tylenol, Ibuprophen,

Antibiotics (Keflex, Amoxi), Prednisone, Valium,

Triple antibiotic and Clortrimazole (antifungal) ointments,

Transderm patches/Dramamine , sleeping pills

Makeup Bag (#2 eye shadow, mascara) Perfume/ Baby powder

Hair clips / pins / scrunchies / bands Shampoo / Conditioner

Lotion / nail polish & remover Disposable Razors X2

Inhalers / Nasal spray Cuticle scissors

POTABLES

# 2 CASES WINE (check in), 2 L Bourbon (Luggage)

# 1 CASE GATORADE

PACK BOTTLED WATER (16 oz.)

EMBARKATION DAY (CHORES)

Library : check out books/ hours?

Spa / Hair appointments / sign up for freebies / less expensive port days

Laundry / Unlimited Pressing Signup: Main Desk/ Housekeeping

Pinnacle Reservations (?), Check dining seating (change, if necessary)

Room Steward : Clean out icebox / stateroom orientation /extra kleenex/ adequate hangers?/ (+/-) blanket/ extra ice bucket.

DVD Checkouts / current TV movie schedule: Main desk

Purchase wine / cocktail cards / wine package (?)

+/- Check postal rates (by country visited)

"Get yourself a few straws - cut them to half (or a little less) the length of the necklace chain - drop one end of the chain through the straw and clasp the chain shut.Your necklaces will travel tangle free.

Very clever! :) I like that idea a lot.

Here's another idea for your chains (don't have a clue why it works, but it does): If you use individual soft pouches leave a bit of the end of the chain hanging outside the pouch when you close it up.

The chain will not tangle. Promise! :)

something I have found to be very valuable in the last few years has been a digital hang scale. get one with a 50-75 lbs limit and you can weigh the luggage before you go to the airport. they can be found for under $20 at sporting / hunting stores as a fish scale. it is very useful for the trip home, when your bags weigh more.

Yes, INFOHUNTER, that was the one!!! Thank you so much and a big thank you to all of you who took the time to respond---lots of great ideas and other good links. My TA just called to say our documents are finally here :D and I can almost taste that bread pudding now!!!

Thank you again...this HAL board has the kindest, most generous group of people imaginable. Even though I don't post often, I read almost daily and feel like I know many of you!!

Cheers!:)

Holly

something I have found to be very valuable in the last few years has been a digital hang scale. get one with a 50-75 lbs limit and you can weigh the luggage before you go to the airport. they can be found for under $20 at sporting / hunting stores as a fish scale. it is very useful for the trip home, when your bags weigh more.

Sounds good, but have a question...Does the scale have to be hung up & if so, where do you hang the scale in your house or garage?..The only place we have to hang it would be on a door & wonder if the suitcase & scale combined could break a door...

Infohunter..Thanks for finding the site..Going to bookmark it!

RuthC...Thanks for your necklace trick...I finally purchased a light colored jewelry case from QVC that has approx 35 see through pockets...Unfortunately, I take too much jewelry (good & costume) & had a black case which was not see through.. Then used to put all my jewelry in individual little soft pouches,.By the time I found which pouch held pieces I wanted to use for the night DH was getting antsy as all my jewelry was spread across the bed;) .Of course the last pouch always held the piece I needed.... LOL..Now with this new case, can group pieces together & see what's in each pocket..

ministocking...Be sure to do the Doc. Dance..Have a wonderful cruise..:) Betty

Sounds good, but have a question...Does the scale have to be hung up & if so, where do you hang the scale in your house or garage?..The only place we have to hang it would be on a door & wonder if the suitcase & scale combined could break a door...

good question, it would depend on the model. the one I use, has a large, single hand, handle with a metal "hook" at the end. I hook the suitcase, and pick it up using the scale, and get a reading. the scale itself weighs several oz. not much at all compared to the suitcase, so it is easy to bring along for the trip home.

take a look... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0036369018215a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=scale&Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=scale&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=3295

Ahoy GadgetGuy!

Thanks fo the scale tip. We've been using an old spring scale (30+ years old) for weighing things in prior to flights. This little 'guy' looks light and, more importantly, more accurate.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Anyone use this one at Magellan? It looks like it would be easy to use.... From their site they say:

New Digital Scale helps prevent overweight luggage charges. This compact scale weighs luggage up to 100 lbs or 44 kg, so you'll know instantly if your bag exceeds the 70 lb international weight limit. And it couldn't be easier to use! Just lift your suitcase, wait for the beep, set it back down, and read the weight on the large digital display. Takes 2 AAA batteries, not included (6 x 3� x 1"; 8 oz)

$24.85

KT789_dt.jpg

Anyone use this one at Magellan? It looks like it would be easy to use.... From their site they say...$24.85

that does look nice.

I found one at a local sporting goods store, at an end of season sale, about $9. it has a 50 lbs "limit" but I have seen it read as high as 63 (time for a 2nd bag!). it looks like the one from Cabelas, and was intended for fish. the one from Magellans gives me a great idea to mod mine, I am going to remove the hook, and replace with a strap, might save a few oz. and work on more suitcases. tx for the idea. :)

that does look nice.

I found one at a local sporting goods store, at an end of season sale, about $9. it has a 50 lbs "limit" but I have seen it read as high as 63 (time for a 2nd bag!). it looks like the one from Cabelas, and was intended for fish. the one from Magellans gives me a great idea to mod mine, I am going to remove the hook, and replace with a strap, :D

Thanks again will look into this..By the way I revived the other thread today..Betty

Archived