What is the best way to get from Istanbul port to Sultanahmet?

We are on the 9/18 Rotterdam sailing and have decided to do Istanbul on our own. We've heard that we should avoid taxis due to the heavy traffic and use public transport instead. Is this true? Can anybody tell me what is the best way to get from the port to Sultanahmet?

Thanks

Allen

You can simply take a taxi to Sutlanahmet. Even with traffic it should only take 15 minutes at most. There you can easily walk to see the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Underground Cistern. These should only take an hour or so to see. Add another hour+ to see the Topkapi Palace.

From Sultanahmet you can take the tram or walk back towards the port....the Galata Bridge, Spice Market, Istiklal Cadessi and Taksim Square. Istanbul is very walkable + taxis are very inexpensive. You are not going far so don't worry about traffic.....just hold on TIGHT!!!!

Marty

I agree- take a taxi to the and then walk to all the sites. Don't know when you are going to be there, but a few places are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays so check before to plan.

Fare should be around $20US

Thanks all, good idea to take a Taxi there and then if possible walk back. We plan to see the Blue Mosque, Cistern, Aya Sophia, Topkapi and then a taste of the grand bizzare. We've only got one day in Istanbul and want to make the most of it!

Allen

We recently returned from a cruise with an overnight in Istanbul which we did on our own. Here's what we did and what I'd do differently:

We decided to spend the night off the ship. You certainly don't have to -- I just wanted to feel like I'd really spent time in the city. I'd do it again, but really the ship is quite close to the heart of the city so it's not necessary.

We docked at 1:00 in Istanbul. I thought there may be a delay getting off the ship because the Turkish authorities had to board and do some paperwork and landing cards had to be delivered to every cabin. I was wrong -- we were cleared to disembark almost immediately. If you want to be ahead of the excursion groups to leave the ship, be ready to go right at 1.

After a *lot* of thought and discussion between the four of us travelling together we decided to go on our own for the first day and hire a private guide + transfer for the second day (NOT through the ship which was crazy expensive).

We left the ship, walked out of the port and were immediately assailed by beggars, touts and assorted "salesmen" while we withdrew our cash from the ATM. (Which by the way is at the exit of the port, turn left and it's there on your left.) We didn't have our bearings and weren't sure which way to go to get on the tram to take us into Sultanhamet but a backpacker pointed us in the right direction (which is to continue past the ATM). A few blocks down is the tram stop. You buy tokens at the booth and use them to cross into the tram waiting area.

We took the tram (crowded but air conditioned) two stops to the Spice Bazaar which was incredible. But if your time is really limited and you plan to go to the Grand Bazaar, you could skip it as it is very similar.

Then we took a taxi to our hotel. Mind you, we've been to 20+ countries on nine trips now, and should know better, but we got totally taken. He charged us 20 lira and dropped us in a random spot nowhere near our hotel. He indicated that it was a short walk down the street and pulled away. If you take a taxi, make sure you are *at* your destination or consult a map to ensure you are close (some areas are legitimately pedestrian only) before you pay. Also, insist on the meter, *not* on a pre-determined price.

We checked into our Hotel, the Dersaadet, which was staffed by very friendly and helpful employees.

We walked then to Hagia Sophia, not to be missed, the Basilica Cisterns, also amazing, and the Grand Bazaar, another incredible highlight. Then we walked back to our hotel to deposit our packages icon_wink.gif and took a taxi (that our hotel called for us) to the Beyoglu district for dinner at a "meyhane." This taxi was less than 10 lira for twice the distance we had taken earlier.

After dinner we hailed a taxi and directed him to take us the the Blue Mosque -- this way we knew he couldn't trick us. From here we were a 5 minute walk form our hotel but my companions were hesitant bout walking the dark streets. (I didn't feel unsafe at all - maybe a matter of perspective).

In hindsight, given how much time we lost looking for our way and trying to find the hotel, I would hire the guide for the entire time. It is really quite reasonable.

The next morning we met our guide and he walked with us to the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. I can't imagine not visiting these two sites. I was very displeased though, that the guide cut our Topkapi visit short to take us to a ceramic shop (sales pitch icon_mad.gif )

Then the driver picked us up and drove us back to the ship.

I feel like we saw a lot in such a short time but it would have been less stressful with a guide the entire time. I would not have considered a ship tour -- I very much want to do what *I* want to do and hate being in a crowd following the leader.

Here's a photo journal of our visit to Istanbul

Thanks Travellingmachmans. You've got some great tips. Just knowing where the ATM is will save us a lot of time. We are only in port for a day arriving at 8AM and departing at 7pm, so no overnight for us. We have gone back and forth on the guide idea. In some ways a guide will save us time, but like you I'd hate to waste time with a rug demo or ceramics shop. I'll study up on our tram maps.

Allen

• 2 weeks later...
We recently returned from a cruise with an overnight in Istanbul which we did on our own. Here's what we did and what I'd do differently

Thanks for the great post. We'll be there for a day in November and I was wondering about sightseeing on our own or with a private guide. I think I found my answer.

We used the tram in Istanbul and it was very simple.

We walked out of the port to the right and the tram is in the middle of the lanes about a 1/4 of mile downt he road - it is easy and I would do it again in a minute!

Good luck and we really enjoyed Istanbul!

I'm trying to plan our walking tour. Can you tell me how many stops are there between the port and the Sultanahmet?

From a map, I see that the Grand Bazaar is a little farther away than Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, etc. So, from the bazaar, do you walk back to the Sultanahmet tram stop - or do you get on at a different stop for the ride back to the port?

Do you remember how much the fare was?

Thanks!

Interesting. We stayed at the Dersaadet for a week in 2004. Our cab at the time (from the cruise port) had a heck of a time finding the hotel, had to stop and ask directions a couple of times. But he did, finally, get us to the front door.

If we went again, the tram would definitely be the way to go, since there was a stop fairly close by.

:) did you need turkish lira for the tram or did they accept euros or $? also do you know if they have a hoho buss tour? thanks:)

We used the tram in Istanbul and it was very simple.

We walked out of the port to the right and the tram is in the middle of the lanes about a 1/4 of mile downt he road - it is easy and I would do it again in a minute!

Good luck and we really enjoyed Istanbul!

:) did you need turkish lira for the tram or did they accept euros or $? also do you know if they have a hoho buss tour? thanks:)

You need Turkish currency for the tram. You pay at the little booth at the tram stop and they give you a token. You use this to go through the turnstile to get into the tram waiting area.

Archived