C-Pap machines going through Heathrow

For those of you who use a CPap machine and have traveled through Heathrow lately, could you confirm that you are allowed to take it on the plane as carryon in addition to the one carryon bag per person? I phoned British Air and asked them and they said that because it was for medical purposes it would be be allowed and not counted as my one alloted bag. After reading some previous threads about the UK airports, I would like some reassurance from someone who has actually done it!

Thanks so much

Not sure about your answer to your question, however I have a question for you..... have you travelled in UK with a C-Pap before? What do you do about the voltage/currency difference? Someone told by husband that they used a converter for theirs and it blew up. I know the ship is 110v and that's why we are chosing to cruise. Are you planning on any hotel stays while travelling? We were thinking of flying in and straight to cruiseship so hotel stay won't be an issue. Would rather hotel if possible but since husband heard about the requirement for electrical converter and what happened to this fellow he knows, he is leary.

Not sure about your answer to your question, however I have a question for you..... have you travelled in UK with a C-Pap before? What do you do about the voltage/currency difference? Someone told by husband that they used a converter for theirs and it blew up. I know the ship is 110v and that's why we are chosing to cruise. Are you planning on any hotel stays while travelling? We were thinking of flying in and straight to cruiseship so hotel stay won't be an issue. Would rather hotel if possible but since husband heard about the requirement for electrical converter and what happened to this fellow he knows, he is leary.

Many C-Pap machines are now made dual voltage. Some auto-sense the applied voltage and some have a switch. The label (often on teh bottom of the machine) showed show you want voltage(s) the machine can handle. If your husband has one of these machines, all you need is a plug converter. The plug does not change the voltage, it merely connects your North American plug to the U.K. (or European or whatever) size/shape.

If not, you need a transformer and plug converter. Just make sure the transformer you get can handle the current (amps) the C-Pap machine draws. This information should be on the aforementioned label also.

If you can't find the needed information, look up the manufacturer on the web and give them a call.

This is not as difficult as it sounds, so please don't let it interfere with your travel plans. My wife uses a C-Pap machine and has used it on every continent that has power lines -- very few places to plug in on Antarctica.

Paul

It depends upon what he used. If he just used a plug adapter, then he might have had a problem (22o vs 110 volts). I've used mine with a plug adapter, but mine is set for dual voltages already. You might need to use a transformer as well as the plug adapter.

Hi everyone. It has been interesting to read the threads esp about the voltage etc. No, we have not traveled to the UK before but have done so in Australia a couple of times using the CPap machine. We initially took just the basic adapter equipment that we had purchased from AMA but my husband found that he had to go to a hardware store to buy something else...an adapter that changed the current to 240 volts ( which Australia uses).

Anyway, the advice you have read so far sounds very good and I would hate to think that you curtailed your activity because of fear of the machine blowing up.

I would still like to know if anyone has been able to take the CPAP through Heathrow as a 2nd carryon. If I can't do that, it will be a pain!

My husband's machine has duel voltage so no problem there. We used different adapters to plug it in in different countries. I bought the kit of adapters at Target in travel section.We used our own extension cord on cruise ship.

Hi everyone. It has been interesting to read the threads esp about the voltage etc. No, we have not traveled to the UK before but have done so in Australia a couple of times using the CPap machine. We initially took just the basic adapter equipment that we had purchased from AMA but my husband found that he had to go to a hardware store to buy something else...an adapter that changed the current to 240 volts ( which Australia uses).

Anyway, the advice you have read so far sounds very good and I would hate to think that you curtailed your activity because of fear of the machine blowing up.

I would still like to know if anyone has been able to take the CPAP through Heathrow as a 2nd carryon. If I can't do that, it will be a pain!

Sorry, no second carry-on in the U.K. It's a security rule. Period.

Paul

My DH always carries his CPAP in a backpack, so there is extra room for the rest of his carry-on items. Puts the machine and extension cord in the main compartment, and then uses the rest of the backpack for his other stuff. You don't have to use the carrying case the machine comes with.

My DH wraps his CPAP in a fleece sweatshirt and puts it on the bottom of the wheeled carry on. All the other bits go in a zip lock bag and are tossed in with other items in the bag. Never had a problem with dmg or security.

Debra

Archived