Newbie trying to decide between Royal Caribbean and Princess

As you can see I'm new here and new to cruising. I'm trying to decide between Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas on July 3, 2008 or Princess's Caribbean Princess on July 1, 2009.

Since this is the Royal Caribbean board, maybe you would be kind enough to tell me the pros and cons of Explorer of the Seas.

We're a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 young adults. We will be booking two cabins. I should mention our young adults will both be in college by next summer. They are the more conservative types - they enjoy the beach and historical sites but, things like the Rock Wall aren't going to impress them - I know they won't even bother with it.

Any advice which to book?

When we travel with our college age young adults we sail on RCI because overall the demographics are a better match for everyone. The ages range in our group from 20to 88 years old. There is something to appeal to all age groups on the Royal Caribbean ships. When we made this choice we eliminated Princes very early in our selection process. The final two lines were Celebrity and RCI and we got input from the kids. RCI was a unanimous decision from the 6 of them.

I'm sure you will have a great trip on either ship, however I'd vote for RCI. We much prefer the service on RCI to Princess. I believe Princess now builds gratuities into the price paid for the cruise and thus there is no direct incentive for extraordinary service from the crew. The policy seemed to be reflected in the quality of service on our last 2 Princess cruises (a Pacific coastal & 1 week to Mexico). The service we received on our recent RCI cruise (traditional tipping) was exemplary in the cabin, acceptable in the dining room. The quality of meals was also superior on RCI to Princess. Another factor was higher quality entertainment on RCI as opposed to ships staff on Princess. The ship itself seemed better on RCI. Lastly, if you have your dates correct in your post the RCI cruise is 2008 vs. 2009 for Princess. I'd much rather cruise a year from now rather then 2 years from now, lol. If your college kids are anything like mine were they'll have a great time on either ship.

HI JOAN!!!

JUMP IN...THE WATER IS FINE!!! LOL!!!:D You will probably like either ship...but I would give the edge to RCI and the EXPLORER. The activity level is high on the EXPLORER. If your kids are bookish or more conservative...they will find plenty to do...even without the rock climbing...LOL.

The CARIBBEAN PRINCESS is a nice ship and has lots to do but the service etc. is better on the EXPLORER and the ambiance is very nice. I would have to say EXPLORER.

You will have a great time no matter what you do!!!:D

As you can see I'm new here and new to cruising. I'm trying to decide between Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas on July 3, 2008 or Princess's Caribbean Princess on July 1, 2009.

Since this is the Royal Caribbean board, maybe you would be kind enough to tell me the pros and cons of Explorer of the Seas.

We're a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 young adults. We will be booking two cabins. I should mention our young adults will both be in college by next summer. They are the more conservative types - they enjoy the beach and historical sites but, things like the Rock Wall aren't going to impress them - I know they won't even bother with it.

Any advice which to book?

I have kids similar ages. We just discussed RCI vs. Princess last night. The vote was for RCI hands down. My kids didn't do the rock wall either, but they did enjoy the shows, the excursions, and they felt that the crew seemed happier about the RCI cruise. My son (21) commented that he enjoyed the RCI art on the ship. They had a good time on the Caribbean Princess, but had a better time with Royal Caribbean.

I haven't been on the EOS yet I have only sailed on the Majesty. So I can only compare those two. My husband and I had so much fun on the Carribean Princess that we wanted to sail her again! But alas, we like doing different things so we went to the Crown instead and next time will be to the EOS. My hubby did things like learning to juggle, basketball shooting contests, we went to the art auctions and believe it or not it was fun. They have stuff ranging from Disney, famous sports jerseys to some beautiful paintings. The cooking show/class was very entertaining, I haven't been closely entertained by any other entertainer then Bert Stratton on the Carribean Princess ship yet. He is fanominal. I hate to say this being on a RCCL board, but I fell asleep at one of the Majesty's shows. I am hoping that when I get back from the EOS I can brag about that one also. We love the service so much on Princess that we still keep in touch with some of the staff. My collage age kids came with us on the Crown and loved it so much they are coming with us on the EOS next year. Hope this helps.

HI JOAN!!!

JUMP IN...THE WATER IS FINE!!! LOL!!!:D You will probably like either ship...but I would give the edge to RCI and the EXPLORER. The activity level is high on the EXPLORER. If your kids are bookish or more conservative...they will find plenty to do...even without the rock climbing...LOL.

The CARIBBEAN PRINCESS is a nice ship and has lots to do but the service etc. is better on the EXPLORER and the ambiance is very nice. I would have to say EXPLORER.

You will have a great time no matter what you do!!!:D

WOW, if the EOS has better service then the CP, I CANT WAIT to sail her!

Eleven of us have sailed both lines. The crew on RCCL is exceptional. The princess crew is average. RCCL has better entertainment. Our 2 "twenty somethings" thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the RCCL over the Princess.

Another vote for RCCL. We were on the Princess twice, and even though Princess isn't awful...I have to agree with the other posts...RCCL has something for every age...Princess was just lacking something. I also like the lay-out of the RCCL ships....you can walk from one end of the ship to the other on at least one deck...on Princess it seemed you had to cut through rooms, up & down staircases, etc. to go from one common area to another. We love Royal Caribbean.

Another vote for RCCL. We were on the Princess twice, and even though Princess isn't awful...I have to agree with the other posts...RCCL has something for every age...Princess was just lacking something. I also like the lay-out of the RCCL ships....you can walk from one end of the ship to the other on at least one deck...on Princess it seemed you had to cut through rooms, up & down staircases, etc. to go from one common area to another. We love Royal Caribbean.

I can give you a fair assessment as I have sailed both lines with my twenty something sons. RCCL all the way! The atmosphere will definitely appeal to all, the layout of the Crown as stated above is very chopped up & there will be more people their age on the cruise. We didn't have a bad time on the Crown but definitely preferred our RCCL trips.

We are fans of both RCCL and Princess. Our decision is based upon itnerary and price for that particular cruise. I will agree, there seems to be activity for various age groups on Royal. We found the shows to be better, food the same, Princess I think caters more to the adults. We will sail either one, both reliable.

Gay ( RADIANCE OF THE SEAS HAWAII OCT 11, 2008)

Hi,

I've been on the Explorer twice and think your family will love it! I'm sure the Caribbean Princess is lovely but for your first cruise (or any cruise for that matter), you will be blown away by the Explorer.

There is so much else to do besides the rock wall -- strolling down the Royal Promenade, people watching and eating pizza at the Cafe Promenade, the ice show, Johnny Rockets, Portofino, Champagne Bar, Schooner Bar, viking Crown Lounge & Dizzy's, the beautiful three-floor dining room, etc. It is the only ship with an Atmospheric Lab and an Oceanographic Lab, and the crew is wonderful!!!! You will not be sorry choosing this ship.

Any questions, just ask!!!

Nancy

I will be really surprised if my August cruise on Explorer beats Caribbean Princess experience... It was just incredible!

From what I can compare so far Princess service beats RCCL (at least Caribbean Princess vs Splendor of the Seas).

Princess has many options for entertainment and activities. No not rock climbing wall or ice skating, but great pools (the best at sea, including couple of adult only), many many choices of live entertainment at night.. and for more active :) mini-golf. Oh, I forgot MUTS (movies under the stars - huge screen).

Also one thing to consider - Princess has Personal choice dining - you can walk in at any time and have a table personally for your family. And we were much much more impressed with the food (both in DR and buffets (almost 24hours a day)) on Princess.

Another thing that impressed me to no end was that on such a huge ship with 3100+ passengers we NEVER felt crowds.. CB split in many cozy even intimate zones.. Back pool is one of them.. It gave us feeling of being on the yacht.

But... it's almost time for Explorer, so in a month I'll be able to compare.

For what it's worth, we can add that we have been on Freedom of the Seas and Diamond Princess in the last year and so can give you a comparison of our experiences on those. We enjoyed the Diamond Princess, and would book her again if the price was right, but we LOVED Freedom of the Seas. The service was so much friendlier across the board, and there was just a lot more to do. The indoor promenade, the library/computer area, and the adults-only solarium and pool area were highlights, and the gym was huge (and nicer than a lot of land gyms). We did think that the quality of the food in the dining rooms was better on Princess, but we prefer fixed seating to anytime dining as that concept did not work out very well at all on the Diamond (long waits for a table, limited reservations available). We liked the buffet on Freedom better, however (both quality of the food and the organization of the food stations). Finally, and perhaps most importantly to us, the Diamond Princess felt much more crowded than did the Freedom of the Seas. I think the newer RCI ships have better passenger space ratios generally.

Hope this helps.

Brightonguys, the Caribe Deck is our favorite. We ahve been on # 2 Princess ships, both the older ones, Sea Princess 2002, Sun Princess 2006. Would love to do the Sapphire Princess. OOps better be careful were on a RCCL board. I love RCCL too, my favorite.

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCT 11, 2008

Archived