Fort Lauderdale Question

We're going to be booking Grand Princess for a holiday sailing in December, 2008. Princess doesn't have any pre or post hotels in their reservations system yet since it's about 18 months away.

Does anyone know which hotels Princess generally uses in Fort Lauderdale?

Any recommendations if we decide to book our own? We prefer upscale but not stuffy...like Marriott, Hyatt, etc.

Thank you!

Ever consider booking through Priceline? To me, priceline is much better for hotels than airfare. Take a look at biddingfortravel.com first. To me, its the best way to go if you do not need a specific hotel but are only looking for a certain category (2*, 3*, 4*, etc...) in a certain area. We picked up a 3* room on the beach in August for less than half the hotel's published price.

The Best Western Pelican Beach Resort is wonderful. My Sister & I stayed there to add a couple days to our 7 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess in 2006. Right on the beach and wonderful food. They have a huge verada with wicker rockers. We loved it there. Hope this helps. :)

I would check out Priceline also. It is much cheaper then booking thru Princess. Also, it is very inexpensive to take a cab in FLL from airport to hotel and hotel to port so I wouldn't bother with the Princess transfers either.

We have stayed and are staying at the Renaissance right across the street from the port. Very nice hotel and we got it as a 4* on Priceline and Hotwire. Check out the East Coast Departure board for lots of hotel information and do your homework on betterbidding and biddingfortravel and you will be able to have a few more $$ for something enjoyable on your cruise!

We are sailing from Fort Lauderdale in Jan., 2008 on the Royal Princess. We booked our pre cruise hotel through Princess and will be staying at the Marriott North. They offered one other hotel but it was a lot more expensive. The cost of our hotel including transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to pier was $256 for 2 people.

To the OP-Just keep in mind that Princess pricing for pre-cruise hotel stay is PER PERSON not per room. I agree with the rest, you can beat that price anyday unless there is something going on in FLL where the hotels rooms are outragious in price.

I have read that the Renaissiance is the only 4 star hotel in the Downtown area on Priceline. Is this true for Hotwire too? Hotwire is currently listing a 4 star in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale at a price of $79 for the night I need in Sept. but I'm hesitant - never used Hotwire or Priceline before. Thanks for all the good information!

I don't believe that Embassy Suites is on priceline, but it certainly is a nice hotel...not as nice as Pier66...but here are the benefits. Nice rooms with a separate dinning/living area. Free cocktail hour and a half with very nice snacks and a wonderful free breakfast. The rooms are standard Embassy Suite colors, tans and golds...but they are remodeling. You should be able to get a good price because of the remodel project. I just stayed there two weeks ago and it was very, very nice. Convenient to everything. Don't miss eating at the Seafood Bar down the street...fantastic.

Archived