NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

The letter made it sound like they were going to convert your Compass Points to WorldPoints. According to this post, that's just not true. What they are really saying is that you'll get what you have as of January 1 and after that you're automatically enrolled in the "New and Improved" (NOT!)WorldPoints program........

The letter states, "As of January 1, 2009, your Norwegian Cruiseline Compass Rewards credit card will automatically be converted to the NCL WorldPOints credit card program. There is no action required by you. You may continue to use your NCL credit card and you account number will remain the same."

They wish. I just cashed in another $1,000 worth of certificates. I've got about 190 points on my last statement. There is no way I'm going to accumulate enough points for another $500 certificate in the next two billing cycles. I just don't want to charge $10,333.33 on this card. And the "Upgrade Certificates" are WORTHLESS. Heck I get one of those every other month from Latitudes. And NCL is offering free upgrades within category on most of their cruises these days anyway!

I'm cancelling.

The only question is, what is the best alternative. I don't think anything else comes close except possibly the AMEX Blue at 5% cash back. But a lot of the folks I do business with and pay bills with won't accept AMEX.

:(

The Princess card is pretty lame in comparison, but seems to be about the best of the cruise line cards. The Hilton Honors card isn't bad, but it seems limited. Besides, with recent events in the economy, I've got a feeling that hoteliers are going to be very motivated to get people staying at their hotels and prices will drop drastically.

I'll be looking for other options. And I'm open to your suggestions.

Thanks all!

MrTractor<---------is always looking for ways to get free travel!.......:cool:............

I agree the upgrade certificates are worthless, I just received one from NCL in the mail for 8 category upgrade from Lattitudes. I called BofA last night and they switched my billing cycle to end of month and they are sending me a $25 gift card for being so deceived. I need another 250 points for a $500 gift certificate by end of December. With my deposit and final payment on American Express, I would have had a $100 gift card, but with NCL I'll be lucky to get 3 category upgrade that expire in 12 months. I can barely contain myself with so much excitement :rolleyes:

:mad:

Sounds like there are issues here. One is if NCL Worldpoints is going to be the same as regular Worldpoints it may not be worth keeping. Currently we know that $1 will = 1 point but don't know what 1 point translates into. With our RCI card $5000 = $50 cedit and that is the minimum.

IMO stateroom upgrades are worthless unless you can go from Inside to Balcony or balcony to suite.

The other issue is that AE seems to be the best alternative out there. You can use it to gain points by booking cruises, gas and ther things and take MC on the cruise if needed. I write maybe 3 or 4 checks a year. Everything else goes on the credit card or cash with the card paid direct deposit every month. Virtually all shopping is online with credit card. So before getting an AE card we would need to know that these same venues where the credit card would be used also accept AE.

One thing is relatively certain. NCL isn't doing this for our benefit.

Seeing as how it's points accrued through December 31 and then they mail on January 31, what's to stop someone from charging something big on December 31 and then returning it in February after the certs have been received?

Normally, I wouldn't even conceive of something so devious, but given how NCL is screwing everybody, I wouldn't have quite the same qualms as usual.

You can apply through either the American Express or Hilton Honors web sites. Also since not all merchants accept American Express you can also apply for a Citi Hilton Honors Visa; though the benefits are not as good.

American Express: https://www143.americanexpress.com/cards/home.do?pmccode=117#CARDS/117/0/0/-1

Hilton Honors AMEX: http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/creditamex.do

Hilton Honors Visa: http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/creditvisa.do

Thanks for the info I am going to check it out !! ;)

If B of A gave notice oct.1st, and NCL allows points to accumulate for 90 days (dec 31), then issue certificate 30 days later (Jan30)as in the program guide they are screwing nobody. In fact if they allow you to cruise outside of the 1 year period of the certifite expriration, they are really showing customer appreciation. Thanks NLC for a great program while it lasted, and a fair conclusion of it. Wish it could have continued, but nothing lasts forever.

and that is fee free. Points are easily obtained with AMEX mall purchases which can be tripled & quadrupled with promos. Any airline uses them, book thru AMEX to get best seats. Use them for restaurant gift cards to eat for free.

They have a new CLEAR card that gets you a fee free credit score & report every year. Also FREE.

Doesn't AE still charge an annual fee?

Anyone do all the research on these and figure out which is best for those of us who only want to use the points to cruise? I am looking at the Discover Miles card, since American Express is not widely accepted.

http://www.lowcards.com/hotel-travel...dit-cards.aspx

http://www.cardratings.com/frequentf...editcards.html

I haven't read everything on this thread - too long- sorry if repeating, but when we were in London and Paris last year, our Discover card was not accepted anywhere. We will stick with a Visa or Mastercard.

for a fee free card it is packed with perks. Spend $125 in the first 2 months & get 2 nights FREE at Hilton hotels. Free companion airfare, free airport club assess, 3-5 points per $1 spent at grocery stores, drugstores, gas, 6 points per $1 at Hilton. So we changed our World MC Premium Pass at Citi for this Visa Signature.

I haven't read everything on this thread - too long- sorry if repeating' date=' but when we were in London and Paris last year, our Discover card was not accepted anywhere. We will stick with a Visa or Mastercard.[/quote']

Without going into the messy details, we left our teenagers cashless when we went on a cruise, but left them with our Discover card. The list of where the card was accepted was far shorter than the list of where it was not. We are not in a big city and it could be different there, but my kids ended up having to drive about an hour to my brother's to borrow money. I would certainly never make that my only card AND I don't think my kids will ever be interested in getting one.

Without going into the messy details, we left our teenagers cashless when we went on a cruise, but left them with our Discover card. The list of where the card was accepted was far shorter than the list of where it was not. We are not in a big city and it could be different there, but my kids ended up having to drive about an hour to my brother's to borrow money. I would certainly never make that my only card AND I don't think my kids will ever be interested in getting one.

That seems like a nightmare!

I utilize my Discover ONLY for on-line shopping as I like to have control over my CC information being "out there" and most companies do accept Discover for on-line shopping.

I do/did this to avoid identity theft and, sure enough, my identity was stolen on-line - all purchases (made by the thief) were on that card, on-line. Discover was very helpful at the time and, while I agree, it is not accepted in many places - it is a good card to use for shopping on-line.

since they give me a one time credit card # to use with the store. So if a illegal clerk wants to buy something for her/himself, they cannot since it is a one time usage & they are in plenty of trouble with the cops. They also taught me a great usage idea. If you give your card & the clerk needs it back to scan again, DON'T, give another card. Once again protection against double scanning for themselves. None of my cards have a signature, they all read SEE ID.

I utilize my Discover ONLY for on-line shopping as I like to have control over my CC information being "out there" and most companies do accept Discover for on-line shopping.

I do/did this to avoid identity theft and, sure enough, my identity was stolen on-line - all purchases (made by the thief) were on that card, on-line. Discover was very helpful at the time and, while I agree, it is not accepted in many places - it is a good card to use for shopping on-line.

Well.... American Express is not taken a lot of places here, and I have never had a problem with Discover, other than at physicians' offices. The Discover I have is a cash back card, so I will into the miles/travel option. Of course it sounds like even with a Discover and an AE card, niether of these is particularly helpful when traveling overseas, so I am trying to figure out which Via/MC gives the best cruise value. Any ideas here, or are they all the same? Does anyone know anything about the Sea Miles Visa card. https://www.seamiles.com/public_1.csp?h_url=/public_1.csp I am much more interested in cruise value than anything else, and most of the rating sites go into detail about air miles (which sometimes can be used for cruising but they never explain the value for that). We live near two departure ports, and haven't flown to a cruise in years.

I wouldn't bother getting a Discover Card unless I did a lot of shopping at Sears. It's not widely accepted elsewhere.

Discover is pretty much accepted in the US at the same places that take Master Card and Visa. Outside the US its pretty much useless. Discover made a concerted effort to have places in Bermuda accept it and they were about 1/3 successful.

What about the Citbank AAdvantage American Airlines Gold Master Card? I know it is a fee card ($50 after first year) but it gives 1 mile per dollar. The payback is 25,000 miles for a roundtrip on American.

I need a Mastercard for Sams and most of the ones that are being talked about are AE or Visa and I don't want Discover.

We live in the LA area and we only use the airlines for cruises. If we go from LA to Miami it is about a $700+ flight.

Any thoughts?

What about the Citbank AAdvantage American Airlines Gold Master Card? I know it is a fee card ($50 after first year) but it gives 1 mile per dollar. The payback is 25,000 miles for a roundtrip on American.

I need a Mastercard for Sams and most of the ones that are being talked about are AE or Visa and I don't want Discover.

We live in the LA area and we only use the airlines for cruises. If we go from LA to Miami it is about a $700+ flight.

Any thoughts?

I liked the NCL Card because a point was worth a dollar as long as you took them out in increments of 500. "Points" or "miles" concern me because all the airlines or cruise lines would have to do is raise the number of points or miles needed for a discounted or free ride.

My thoughts are to go with a decent money back card. In spite of the current financial woes of wall street, I know what a dollar is worth at any point in time.:p

If the card turns out to be a Visa I'll just stop in at Wally World and buy a gift card for my shopping at Sam's. I used to do that with the MasterCard before Sam decided I could use it there. Wally's is right across the street from Sam's where I shop.;)

Charlie

I liked the NCL Card because a point was worth a dollar as long as you took them out in increments of 500. "Points" or "miles" concern me because all the airlines or cruise lines would have to do is raise the number of points or miles needed for a discounted or free ride.

My thoughts are to go with a decent money back card. In spite of the current financial woes of wall street, I know what a dollar is worth at any point in time.:p

If the card turns out to be a Visa I'll just stop in at Wally World and buy a gift card for my shopping at Sam's. I used to do that with the MasterCard before Sam decided I could use it there. Wally's is right across the street from Sam's where I shop.;)

Charlie

This is the kind of creative thinking I like!

I am fairly certain that the World Points NCL Mastercard will be just like all the other World Points cards that BOA offers.... Not nearly as good as the "old" card.

I do not like the RCL has their card set up - the rewards are too specific, and are very hard to use without air, if you live in the Northeast. They offer 2-4 day and 7 day rewards and most of thier cruises from NJ are 5 and 9 day....

This is the kind of creative thinking I like!

I am fairly certain that the World Points NCL Mastercard will be just like all the other World Points cards that BOA offers.... Not nearly as good as the "old" card.

I do not like the RCL has their card set up - the rewards are too specific, and are very hard to use without air, if you live in the Northeast. They offer 2-4 day and 7 day rewards and most of thier cruises from NJ are 5 and 9 day....

Thank you. I try to have one lucid thought each day. I'll take my nap now:p

Charlie

The Sea Miles program is worse than the World Points program.

The AA card is good for use on Am. Airlines and their partners. I have had more luck with redeeming flights with them than my Northwest/KLM card. We use it to accumulate point to fly to distant cruises.

The Royal Caribbean is very limiting and points necessary are higher than WPs. Same is true of Princess.

Oh well.

The only thing we've ever used the Royal card for is on board credit vouchers. $5,000 spent gets you $50.00 OBC. Not very exciting.

This may not be NCL's idea to change this card as much as it is BofA. Our LL Bean credit card was with BofA and as of July 1 LL Bean changed from BofA to Barclay's Bank.

This may of been BofA that forced this change as they probably did not want to pay for the program but they may also be trying to get rid of some of their credit card exposure. BofA is not in real great shape as we all know and things that are not profitable have to go.

This may not be NCL's idea to change this card as much as it is BofA. Our LL Bean credit card was with BofA and as of July 1 LL Bean changed from BofA to Barclay's Bank.

This may of been BofA that forced this change as they probably did not want to pay for the program but they may also be trying to get rid of some of their credit card exposure. BofA is not in real great shape as we all know and things that are not profitable have to go.

I was told the same thing by a head of department at NCL but frankly I don't believe it. It doesn't cost the bank anything. NCl receives payment for every charge made on the affinity card. AAA has a world points card and is temporarily offering 2 points per dollar so NCL could do that too if it wanted to. I don't think the senior people at NCL would have agreed to the change if it wasn't specifically to their advantage money wise but I have said I think its penny wise and dollar foolish. the NCL rewards card could only be used on NCL all these other cards, cash, points etc are useable many other places so to the extant they don't sterr people to NCL they are almost useless. Even AAA's card is better and NCL and AAA aren't the best of friends any way.

Anyone figure out if AE Blue Cash or Blue Sky is better overall? I am not leaning towards Cash.......

I have used AE Blue cash card for quite a while, and it is one of the better programs available. The best places to use it are gas stations, grocery stores, and drug stores. Use it anywhere else and it is no better than anyone else's program.

One psychological drawback for me is that I automaticaly receive a credit to my account, for my points, once a year. Unless I look carefully at my statement I don't even notice it. Even though my credit one year was over $900, it just got lost in my credits and debits that month. Even if I earn the same amount on my Blue Cash card as my NCL card, psychologicaly, it is not the same as getting a free cruise.