NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I'm pretty sure that the certificates have to be applied before or with final payment. Don't think you can apply after the fact, but not 100% sure. But even if you can't use now, just take another cruise with the 1500 :)

I am 1000% sure you can get them applied as long as it is before the ship sails. I have done this more than once.

why are you so 100% sure? have you sent them in and have had them rejected?

I am 1000% sure you can get them applied as long as it is before the ship sails. I have done this more than once.

why are you so 100% sure? have you sent them in and have had them rejected?

Relax! I was just making a simple statement. I also said that I am NOT 100% sure. But the certificate that I am holding in my hands says "The Certificate must be presented by you or your Travel Agent with your final payment to Norwegian Cruise Line. "

I emailed the online TA (cquick) and got the following:

"Once your booking is paid in full per NCL they will not accept any bank coupons" which is discouraging!

Well, either NCL has changed their policy, or your online TA didn't contact the right person. Many of us have done this in the past. Last year I had enough to go on a free cruise, including the initial depost, and so when I submitted the certificates near the time of final payment, the deposit money was credited back to my card. They may have changed their policy though....

I

Relax! I was just making a simple statement. The reason why I said 100% is because the certificate that I am holding in my hands says "The Certificate must be presented by you or your Travel Agent with your final payment to Norwegian Cruise Line. "

Yeah, they have always said that, and I questioned it the last time (booked on line directly with NCL) and the NCL agent assured me it would work. I will admit, I was very aprehensive to send those "hard earned" certificates off, and wondered if I wouel actually get a credit on my MC, but it worked fine (sent them registered mail return reciept).

However.... things could be different now

In the past I have usually submitted at least one $500 certificate after final payment. It takes a little while, but have always had the certificate(s) applied to my credit card. The only gamble was that NCL had to receive AND process the certificate(s) BEFORE my cruise started.

However, there's no way of knowing if that will be true for these final certificates being mailed out if they still state that they must be presented with final payment. NCL could decide to enforce that certificate requirement or they could continue to apply the $$ to your credit card like they've done in the past.

We really won't know until someone after January 1st. All we can do is speculate until we see the final batch of certificates and/or someone sends one in after final payment. Bummer! :confused:

Does anyone know exactly how much must be charged each month to get the max of 250 points, if no NCL charges are on that monthly statement? I think it is $8,334. We put our son's college tuition on this card right now, and with Christmas coming, we may be able to squeeze out our last 1,000 points. If it is close, I can put some of the payment for our cruise in Oct 2009 on the card now, which would of course earn bonus points, and could be done is smaller amounts over the next two monthly cycles . It is fully refundable until the cancelation period, and would still leave us with a balance of $1,000 that we could use the certificates for.

Also, does any one know for sure if a billing cycle ends mid-month, then for the end of December cycle, are the max amount of points for that period pro-rated or can you still ear 250 max, even though it is less than a month?

Relax! I was just making a simple statement. I also said that I am NOT 100% sure. But the certificate that I am holding in my hands says "The Certificate must be presented by you or your Travel Agent with your final payment to Norwegian Cruise Line. "

If you said that you were reading from the cert is one thing but you said you were almost sure you couldn't. The language on the cert has never changed and they have up to now always allowed the certs to be used as long as they were recieved before the cruise.

EDITED TO ADD: I emailed the online TA (cquick) and got the following:

"Once your booking is paid in full per NCL they will not accept any bank coupons" which is discouraging!

Why not pay all but the last $25 or $50 of the total due.

That way you still have a final payment to send in the certificates with.

Does anyone know exactly how much must be charged each month to get the max of 250 points, if no NCL charges are on that monthly statement? I think it is $8,334. We put our son's college tuition on this card right now, and with Christmas coming, we may be able to squeeze out our last 1,000 points. If it is close, I can put some of the payment for our cruise in Oct 2009 on the card now, which would of course earn bonus points, and could be done is smaller amounts over the next two monthly cycles . It is fully refundable until the cancelation period, and would still leave us with a balance of $1,000 that we could use the certificates for.

Also, does any one know for sure if a billing cycle ends mid-month, then for the end of December cycle, are the max amount of points for that period pro-rated or can you still ear 250 max, even though it is less than a month?

In case you haven't seen this link, here it is:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

Your math is right, and putting some of the cruise balance on your card is a good idea to get the extra point. As you see in the link above, everyone's card will earn points until Dec. 31. The letter said "December statement date" but that's been revised. So you'll have the full month to earn your 250.

In case you haven't seen this link, here it is:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

Your math is right, and putting some of the cruise balance on your card is a good idea to get the extra point. As you see in the link above, everyone's card will earn points until Dec. 31. The letter said "December statement date" but that's been revised. So you'll have the full month to earn your 250.

Thank you for the link. What I was really trying to determine was: If my statement cut off date is Dec 17 and I earn Compass points between Dec 18 and 31, can I earn the max of 250 per month during that 13 day period, or would the max be prorated to say 109 points????

Thank you for the link. What I was really trying to determine was: If my statement cut off date is Dec 17 and I earn Compass points between Dec 18 and 31, can I earn the max of 250 per month during that 13 day period, or would the max be prorated to say 109 points????

Oh jeeze.. hell if i know.. good question tho.

My understanding is you earn your Compass points up to your December billing date and WorldPoints start in January and in between is a big black hole.

Not according to the FAQ on NCL. We'll earn points up to Dec. 31st. Jan. 1st starts the wonderful, soooo much better World Points. ;)

My understanding is you earn your Compass points up to your December billing date and WorldPoints start in January and in between is a big black hole.

What if my billing cycle ends mid-month?

You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.

as the credit cards arrived Next Day Air for us to start using yesterday.I even got on HiltonHHonors.com and we are Silver status & spend $20K a year & then we are Gold.

So Saturday we get to the airport early for our 9AM flight & have the CO Onepass club to wait in & get priority boarding & free drinks. So a geat cruise with a great send off at both airports in the CO club to enjoy. Then I get a call from HiltonHHonors that we have been an active couple with Hilton (20 years) so our rewards are doubled, so 10 points per $1 spent with Hilton, 6 for groceries, drugs, gas & 3 for everything else. So this is better than WORLDPOINTS & MC World that huband got us & they have promos for good stuff so we didn't close it.

Sounds GREAT!!!!

Did you get Hilton Honors Visa or AEX??? Help I am trying to decide between the two!! Any thoughts ?? Anybody???

I have been corresponding with my TA and NCL representative regarding when we must cruise using the Compass Rewards points. Well, being somewhat skeptical of the answers I was getting I went back to the FAQ section of the NCL website and THE LANGUAGE HAS CHANGED! We have a definitive date ... January 31, 2011 is sailing date they must be used by. The website says:

What happens to my Compass Rewards?

NCL is ending the Compass Reward program and as stated in the program terms and conditions, you will be issued a Compass Reward certificate(s) based on your December 31, 2008 point balance. Your final certificate(s) will arrive by mail on or before January 31, 2009. You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking, but you will be able to use them towards any NCL cruise before January 31, 2011. Compass Rewards points will not be transferred to the WorldPoints program.

This is comforting to have a definitive date. Phins up!

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Has anyone been able to get a straight answer on what they will do if you have an odd amount of points, like 250? I just got this card and I am wondering if I should stop using it.

Another good question..... I am hoping they will post the answer to this on their FAQ too! It would be very nice if they would issue the final certificates in the exact amount of points in your account.... so that if you have 499 at the end of December, you don't "lose" them.

Here is the language referring to the increments of the certificates to be disbursed at the end of the program:

How many certificates will I receive?

Based on your points balance as of December 31, 2008, you will receive certificates in usual increments of 100 and 500 points toward a stateroom upgrade and/or a discount on your cruise.

So my guess is anything above an increment of 100 will be lost.

Here is the language referring to the increments of the certificates to be disbursed at the end of the program:

How many certificates will I receive?

Based on your points balance as of December 31, 2008, you will receive certificates in usual increments of 100 and 500 points toward a stateroom upgrade and/or a discount on your cruise.

So my guess is anything above an increment of 100 will be lost.

I am a "glass half full" person, and I am reading this to mean, if you have 982 points left at the end of the program, you will get once certificate for $500 and four for $100 for a total of $900 and the 82 points would be lost. This is also good news, since I was concerned that only $500 certificates would still be issued.